Author Topic: Who came up with this useless product?  (Read 58640 times)

JennJenn68

Re: Who came up with this useless product?
« Reply #345 on: May 06, 2012, 02:05:26 PM »
The turnip twaddler. All it does is collect dust in my cupboard...  8)

Oh, my Lord, now I have Bloom County comics stuck in my head!  (There are worse things, I have to admit...)  I can still see Opus in frenzy ordering hundreds of the things!

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #346 on: May 06, 2012, 05:41:10 PM »
OT related to the sheet folding:  Instead of folding your towels, fold them in half lengthwise and then roll them up.  When you go to grab a towel, you can grab any roll and the rest just tumble down to fill the gap, without messing everything up, like if you tried to take a towel from the middle of the pile.

I can't take credit for this one - I saw a friend's linen closet and thought it was a great idea.  I might steal one of the sheet ideas to keep my sheet sets together.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

diesel_darlin

« Reply #347 on: May 06, 2012, 06:15:44 PM »
OT related to the sheet folding:  Instead of folding your towels, fold them in half lengthwise and then roll them up.  When you go to grab a towel, you can grab any roll and the rest just tumble down to fill the gap, without messing everything up, like if you tried to take a towel from the middle of the pile.

I can't take credit for this one - I saw a friend's linen closet and thought it was a great idea.  I might steal one of the sheet ideas to keep my sheet sets together.

I do this also! I also roll up my clothes when Im packing for a trip.

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #348 on: May 06, 2012, 08:31:04 PM »

Back when I was still in the dog grooming business we did this...we'd all have shelves of rolled towels beside our bath tubs and it made it way easier to just reach over and grab one and pull it out without looking while trying to make sure hte dog in the tub didn't shake water all over you.  It saved a lot of time, since the bathing area was visible from the lobby and we had to keep everything neat.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

Namárië

« Reply #349 on: May 07, 2012, 09:34:30 AM »
FIT . The stuff you clean vegetables with.   Domestic goddess Martha Stewart said that if something was that dirty to begin with, she wasn't going to eat it.

But... veggies are grown in the dirt... some dirt is bound to get on them! (Not that I have any idea what Fit is; I just do a vinegar & salt soak to kill the bugs.)
Competence is a trap!
I mostly don't make stuff, but sometimes I do: http://initiationcreation.blogspot.com

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #350 on: May 07, 2012, 11:00:38 AM »
FIT . The stuff you clean vegetables with.   Domestic goddess Martha Stewart said that if something was that dirty to begin with, she wasn't going to eat it.

But... veggies are grown in the dirt... some dirt is bound to get on them! (Not that I have any idea what Fit is; I just do a vinegar & salt soak to kill the bugs.)

I think Martha Stewart was saying that if water couldn't get it off, she wasn't going to eat it.  (As in if the dirt was so bad that she had to buy a product (FIT) instead of just using water, the vegetable was in too bad a condition for her to eat).
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #351 on: May 07, 2012, 11:45:10 AM »
I just got a SpaceBag set and literally used it today.  My vacuum also doesn't have a hose.  I just sat my happy but down on the thing and leaned on it.  It worked pretty well.  Maybe it didn't reduce size as much as it could, but it definitely reduced size!  Now only if I could do that with books...
<snip> one travel-sized spacebag is the right size to hole a full-size sheet set - one flat, one fitted, and 2 pillowcases.  I don't compress them, but it's nice to reach into the closet and pull out a bag and change the sheets easily. </end snip>
A while back, I saw somewhere the idea of folding your flat sheet, fitted sheet, and one pillowcase so that they fit inside the other pillowcase. I tried it, and it works brilliantly!
I do this. It's very handy, and much neater. I taught it to my mother, and she loved it!
That's a genius idea!!   I don't know why I never thought of it before! So when my spacebags finally go to that great space station in the sky, I'll use the pillowcases.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #352 on: May 07, 2012, 01:22:46 PM »

I think Martha Stewart was saying that if water couldn't get it off, she wasn't going to eat it.  (As in if the dirt was so bad that she had to buy a product (FIT) instead of just using water, the vegetable was in too bad a condition for her to eat).

That strikes me as a rather precious attitude. Where does she think food is grown and how does it get to her kitchen? The great outdoors has bugs and germs, animals pee on plants, machines (or people) harvested the food, it has been placed in wooden containers that have been used many times and exposed to the elements, people have handled it, etc. Each of those interactions adds a chance that some harmful bacteria is on the food. It seems to make a lot of sense to me to use some sort of cleaner on things you are going to eat. I saw a couple of cholera epidemics and that taught me to always clean food.

And I am very much not a germophobe.

Namárië

« Reply #353 on: May 07, 2012, 01:27:45 PM »

That strikes me as a rather precious attitude. Where does she think food is grown and how does it get to her kitchen? The great outdoors has bugs and germs, animals pee on plants, machines (or people) harvested the food, it has been placed in wooden containers that have been used many times and exposed to the elements, people have handled it, etc. Each of those interactions adds a chance that some harmful bacteria is on the food. It seems to make a lot of sense to me to use some sort of cleaner on things you are going to eat. I saw a couple of cholera epidemics and that taught me to always clean food.

Not to mention that poop is used as a fertilizer...  :-X
Competence is a trap!
I mostly don't make stuff, but sometimes I do: http://initiationcreation.blogspot.com

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #354 on: May 07, 2012, 03:19:54 PM »
I still think y'all are missing the point.  She does want her food to be clean, but if water won't get it off (which is really how most people wash their vegetables), then whatever is on there that needs chemicals to get it off is something she doesn't want to eat.  Water will get off almost everything (dirt, fertilizer, germs, et cetera); if she needs chemicals to clean her food, then there is something wrong with the food.  It's overkill, I guess, to need chemicals to clean your food when water does just fine.

To me it's like getting sanitizer for way down in the depths of your toilet (past where you can see); why does that need to be germ free?  Clean, yes, but germ free?  What are you reaching down there with or to get that you need there to be no germs all the way down there?
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Namárië

« Reply #355 on: May 07, 2012, 03:33:12 PM »
I think I get what she means. I just disagree, though my methods don't involve chemicals. I don't want any extra bug protein in my salads. :)
Competence is a trap!

jmarvellous

« Reply #356 on: May 07, 2012, 03:51:57 PM »

Family friends who know Ms. Stewart report that she has been known to be both prima donna and germaphobe. Also something of an actress/expert celebrity who knows when to say what, so I'm not certain her comments about this product are to be taken as absolute truth (either about the value of the product or her desire to eat things that have merely been rinsed).

To add a product to the mix:
Why are there incense cones? They always seem to smell worse or be more cheaply made than the sticks, for which there are many more holders made already.
Is there something I'm missing?

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #357 on: May 07, 2012, 04:00:21 PM »
Not to mention that poop is used as a fertilizer...  :-X
OK, I understand the sentiment, but I can't let this one pass without clarification since this is my profession and we are trying to get the general population over the "ick factor."

Biosolids in the United States are used to replenish nutrients in agricultural land.  The biosolids are treated to reduce pathogens (bacteria and viruses) and their attractiveness to vectors such as flies and vermin.  They are stabilized to reduce odors.  Then they are tested to make sure the metal concentrations do not pose a threat to the environment or human health.  The land application sites are carefully selected and permitted.

Biosolids are better for the crops than inorganic fertilizers which are often made from petroleum products.  Their nutrients are in a form which plants can use and they contain trace nutrients not available in inorganic fertilizers.

Feed the land so the land can feed us.

[MK gets off her soapbox and returns this thread to its original topic]
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #358 on: May 07, 2012, 04:12:06 PM »
I still think y'all are missing the point.  She does want her food to be clean, but if water won't get it off (which is really how most people wash their vegetables), then whatever is on there that needs chemicals to get it off is something she doesn't want to eat.  Water will get off almost everything (dirt, fertilizer, germs, et cetera); if she needs chemicals to clean her food, then there is something wrong with the food.  It's overkill, I guess, to need chemicals to clean your food when water does just fine.

To me it's like getting sanitizer for way down in the depths of your toilet (past where you can see); why does that need to be germ free?  Clean, yes, but germ free?  What are you reaching down there with or to get that you need there to be no germs all the way down there?

I understand that point. I just don't agree with it. To me, washing food with just water is like washing your hands with just water after going to the bathroom and heading towards the kitchen. After all, I am going to eat the food (unlike the depths of the toilet).

Considering cholera, salmonella contamination, leptospirosis and other food borne disease, it doesn't seem like overkill at all.

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #359 on: May 07, 2012, 04:59:34 PM »
To add a product to the mix:
Why are there incense cones? They always seem to smell worse or be more cheaply made than the sticks, for which there are many more holders made already.
Is there something I'm missing?

Maybe you've used bad quality cones? Because the ones i buy are really good. They smell wonderful and i like them because the ash is kept in a neat little cone shape and easily disposed of instead of "dripping" all over my dresser. (I have a nice marble combo incense burner, but the darn sticks still drip.)

I still buy sticks of course, since one of my favorite brands has just the type of cones you described (they smell awful!) but when I can get good quality cones I prefer them.