Author Topic: Who came up with this useless product?  (Read 68427 times)

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
Re: Who came up with this useless product?
« Reply #360 on: May 07, 2012, 05:01:53 PM »
Not to mention that poop is used as a fertilizer...  :-X
OK, I understand the sentiment, but I can't let this one pass without clarification since this is my profession and we are trying to get the general population over the "ick factor."

Biosolids in the United States are used to replenish nutrients in agricultural land.  The biosolids are treated to reduce pathogens (bacteria and viruses) and their attractiveness to vectors such as flies and vermin.  They are stabilized to reduce odors.  Then they are tested to make sure the metal concentrations do not pose a threat to the environment or human health.  The land application sites are carefully selected and permitted.

Biosolids are better for the crops than inorganic fertilizers which are often made from petroleum products.  Their nutrients are in a form which plants can use and they contain trace nutrients not available in inorganic fertilizers.

Feed the land so the land can feed us.

[MK gets off her soapbox and returns this thread to its original topic]

I don't know where Namarie is, but it may not be the case there.  Where I am, the fertiliser is quite often taken direct from horse to ground!

jmarvellous

« Reply #361 on: May 07, 2012, 05:03:34 PM »
To add a product to the mix:
Why are there incense cones? They always seem to smell worse or be more cheaply made than the sticks, for which there are many more holders made already.
Is there something I'm missing?

Maybe you've used bad quality cones? Because the ones i buy are really good. They smell wonderful and i like them because the ash is kept in a neat little cone shape and easily disposed of instead of "dripping" all over my dresser. (I have a nice marble combo incense burner, but the darn sticks still drip.)

I still buy sticks of course, since one of my favorite brands has just the type of cones you described (they smell awful!) but when I can get good quality cones I prefer them.

Hmm, maybe I just need to look harder! I like the idea of neater ashes, though we most often use BF's clay bowl with sand in it for incense sticks, so the ashes from the stick just blend with the sand, and it hasn't been an issue. With my wooden burner that holds the stick at an angle, it's a crapshoot.

Do they burn about the same length of time (the good ones, I mean)?

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #362 on: May 07, 2012, 05:11:28 PM »
To add a product to the mix:
Why are there incense cones? They always seem to smell worse or be more cheaply made than the sticks, for which there are many more holders made already.
Is there something I'm missing?

Maybe you've used bad quality cones? Because the ones i buy are really good. They smell wonderful and i like them because the ash is kept in a neat little cone shape and easily disposed of instead of "dripping" all over my dresser. (I have a nice marble combo incense burner, but the darn sticks still drip.)

I still buy sticks of course, since one of my favorite brands has just the type of cones you described (they smell awful!) but when I can get good quality cones I prefer them.

Hmm, maybe I just need to look harder! I like the idea of neater ashes, though we most often use BF's clay bowl with sand in it for incense sticks, so the ashes from the stick just blend with the sand, and it hasn't been an issue. With my wooden burner that holds the stick at an angle, it's a crapshoot.

Do they burn about the same length of time (the good ones, I mean)?

It kinda depends. My favorite type burn a little shorter than the same brand sticks, but the scent seems to stick around longer (Its not stronger per say, but it lasts.) Another brand I've bought the cones last longer and the scent is gentler. (Gonesh I think its called. my "pet" scent is "Perfumes of Ancient Times") And my favorite incense brand of all has carpy cones and they burn fast, have thick ikky smoke and smell like butt. I buy only sticks from them. A lot of "cheap" incense, where the stick is good, the cone will be awful. (And some expensive brands too I'm sure. But I stick with cheap, so i can't advise anyone of expensive incense.)
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Sassycelticmoon
<a href="http://knitmeter.com/" title="Get Your Own KnitMeter">" border="0[/url]

Namárië

« Reply #363 on: May 07, 2012, 05:37:06 PM »
OK, I understand the sentiment, but I can't let this one pass without clarification since this is my profession and we are trying to get the general population over the "ick factor."

Biosolids in the United States are used to replenish nutrients in agricultural land.  The biosolids are treated to reduce pathogens (bacteria and viruses) and their attractiveness to vectors such as flies and vermin.  They are stabilized to reduce odors.  Then they are tested to make sure the metal concentrations do not pose a threat to the environment or human health.  The land application sites are carefully selected and permitted.

Biosolids are better for the crops than inorganic fertilizers which are often made from petroleum products.  Their nutrients are in a form which plants can use and they contain trace nutrients not available in inorganic fertilizers.

I don't know where Namarie is, but it may not be the case there.  Where I am, the fertiliser is quite often taken direct from horse to ground!

Yes, it is much the same where I am. It doesn't bother me, but I sure as sugar won't eat my CSA veggies with just a water rinse! :)
Competence is a trap!
I mostly don't make stuff, but sometimes I do: http://initiationcreation.blogspot.com

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #364 on: May 07, 2012, 07:25:58 PM »

Midnight Kitty was talking about human poop, not animal.  I'm not sure what kind Namarie was referring to.

Where I am, manure is usually aged a bit before being spread but it isn't unheard of for it to be put on the fields fresh.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #365 on: May 07, 2012, 07:44:24 PM »
Incence cones are very handy for going into one of these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R%C3%A4uchermann

He is a Rauechermann. He opens up so you can put the cone inside, and the smoke comes out of his mouth. We have a couple- one traditional, the other a witch with smoke coming out of her cauldron.
NE England

Nika

« Reply #366 on: May 07, 2012, 07:54:41 PM »

He is a Rauechermann. He opens up so you can put the cone inside, and the smoke comes out of his mouth. We have a couple- one traditional, the other a witch with smoke coming out of her cauldron.

WANT.
"I am, in fact, a hobbit in all but size."

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #367 on: May 07, 2012, 08:04:11 PM »

WANT.

Tell me about it- since I googled it a few minutes ago, I've seen a huge variety of them, some with truly hair-raising prices!
NE England

MacadamiaNut

• These pretzels are making me thirsty.
« Reply #368 on: May 07, 2012, 09:46:07 PM »

WANT.

Tell me about it- since I googled it a few minutes ago, I've seen a huge variety of them, some with truly hair-raising prices!

I want it too now!  And then I suppose I'll have to buy incense cones to burn.  This is very nifty!
Paperweights, for instance - has anyone ever established what, when, and why
paper has to be weighed down? ::) ~Don Aslett

Doll Fiend

• The Dolls are in the Garden and in my Head.
« Reply #369 on: May 08, 2012, 12:13:23 AM »

WANT.

I want it too now!  And then I suppose I'll have to buy incense cones to burn.  This is very nifty!

My aunt has something similar. But it is a dragon and the smoke comes out of his mouth. He is a very goofy looking Dragon.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #370 on: May 08, 2012, 02:26:41 AM »

Midnight Kitty was talking about human poop, not animal.  I'm not sure what kind Namarie was referring to.

Where I am, manure is usually aged a bit before being spread but it isn't unheard of for it to be put on the fields fresh.

I had no idea that could be used as a fertiliser, I thought only herbivore poop was any good for it!

Okay, I can see the squick factor.

Iris

« Reply #371 on: May 08, 2012, 03:43:04 AM »

I had no idea that could be used as a fertiliser, I thought only herbivore poop was any good for it!

It's actually not supposed to be used as fertiliser without lots and lots and lots of treatment, because of the risk of poo-borne diseases like cholera. It's actually illegal where I come from to use human poo as fertiliser on people food. Friends of mine with a recycling septic system are only allowed to use the recycled water on lawns or animal feed, even though it is treated.

I grew up eating vegies fresh from my Grandfather's garden that he fertilised with chicken manure which was only treated by leaving it for a certain amount of time before use. As a kid I would cheerfully pick a carrot straight from the ground, brush off the dirt and eat it. So I'm very, very relaxed about most germs. Even I would be grossed out by eating food fertilised with human waste.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #372 on: May 08, 2012, 04:20:56 AM »
I still think y'all are missing the point.  She does want her food to be clean, but if water won't get it off (which is really how most people wash their vegetables), then whatever is on there that needs chemicals to get it off is something she doesn't want to eat.  Water will get off almost everything (dirt, fertilizer, germs, et cetera); if she needs chemicals to clean her food, then there is something wrong with the food.  It's overkill, I guess, to need chemicals to clean your food when water does just fine.

To me it's like getting sanitizer for way down in the depths of your toilet (past where you can see); why does that need to be germ free?  Clean, yes, but germ free?  What are you reaching down there with or to get that you need there to be no germs all the way down there?

I understand that point. I just don't agree with it. To me, washing food with just water is like washing your hands with just water after going to the bathroom and heading towards the kitchen. After all, I am going to eat the food (unlike the depths of the toilet).

Considering cholera, salmonella contamination, leptospirosis and other food borne disease, it doesn't seem like overkill at all.

I really don't want to get into squick factor here, especially because I realize I'm in the minority, but in general, this is the 21st century; if something goes wrong, we'll be okay.  Just FTR, I did take Serv Safe and passed with flying colors, but I also have a great immune system (grew up in the country  ;D).  I think people can be way over protective (again, I realize this is a personal perspective); *this is where I get into what I believe is okay and what others believe is not okay*.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #373 on: May 08, 2012, 01:43:30 PM »

Google "milorganite". 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #374 on: May 08, 2012, 02:37:24 PM »
I toured the plant that makes Milorganite.  I was in Wisconsin visiting my in laws.  Yes, I am a sick puppy; I visit wastewater treatment plants when I'm on vacation. >:D

Animal manures should be cured.  When I had 2 horses in a paddock and had to muck daily, I put the manure in heavy black plastic bags and piled them up to cure in the sun.  The temperature has to be hot enough to kill the seeds that pass through the horse's digestive tract.  Otherwise, you will be growing oat grass instead of the crop you wanted.  I once traded several cubic yards of cured horse manure for picking rights in an apricot orchard. 8)
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius