Author Topic: Who came up with this useless product?  (Read 68461 times)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
Re: Who came up with this useless product?
« Reply #390 on: August 13, 2012, 09:37:02 PM »
Wasn't sure whether to put this here, or in the Brain Hurt thread:

Perfume that smells like mildew.

http://www.demeterfragrance.com/704141/products/Mildew.html

Other fragrances include Earthworm, Fireplace, and Pruning Shears.

earthworm.  Blech. I hate that smell when it rains, and they're EVERYWHERE

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #391 on: August 13, 2012, 10:23:18 PM »
Pruning shears sounds rather nice, actually.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #392 on: August 14, 2012, 01:38:15 PM »
I might like "Fresh Mown Hay," but more as a room freshener, not a perfume.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Doll Fiend

• The Dolls are in the Garden and in my Head.
« Reply #393 on: August 14, 2012, 02:02:14 PM »
Growing up with two brothers, I think some would be more preferable to their teen boy stink! :D

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #394 on: August 14, 2012, 02:31:28 PM »
Wasn't sure whether to put this here, or in the Brain Hurt thread:

Perfume that smells like mildew.

http://www.demeterfragrance.com/704141/products/Mildew.html

Other fragrances include Earthworm, Fireplace, and Pruning Shears.

I bought Paperback to combat Gish's Axe Body Spray of Death. It's interesting smelling, but does not smell anything like a paperback. I wasn't crazy about it at first, but it started to grow on me ... then i wore it to work one day and i think one of my coworkers got blamed for having an odor problem because of it  :-[ So, yeah, as a weapon it's pretty great; but other than that i do not recommend.
http://www.demeterfragrance.com/704154/products/Paperback.html

I got Sushi, too, and that one smells really good (and layers well with bug spray, so that's a plus in the woods in August :)). http://www.demeterfragrance.com/704196/products/Sushi.html

Edited to add links in case anyone is interested in checking them out. I didn't get mine through Demeter, though, i got mine on clearance through ThinkGeek.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 02:36:50 PM by hobish »
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #395 on: August 16, 2012, 10:25:05 AM »

Back in the late 1970s or early 1980s, NEW YORK MAGAZINE, always on the cutting edge of fashion, promoted a fragrance for infants that smelled like new-mown hay.  They also were pushing black clothing for those too young to walk.   

You have to wonder if that's where some Goths got their start.

jmarvellous

« Reply #396 on: August 16, 2012, 10:27:05 AM »
Why is black clothing for kids odd?

I mean, I see babies in all colors, all the time. I'd think that with their propensity for staining everything, white would be the rarer color.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #397 on: August 16, 2012, 10:38:20 AM »
That's true today but remember, this was about 40 years ago and attitudes toward young children were very different.  Think of 'Rosemary's Baby'. 

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #398 on: August 16, 2012, 11:12:05 AM »
That's true today but remember, this was about 40 years ago and attitudes toward young children were very different.  Think of 'Rosemary's Baby'.
Oh, yes!  Babies were supposed to be dressed, and surrounded by, only the palest of pastels.  MIL was horrified that I dressed my babies in COLORS!  It would damage their eyesight or something.   
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

ShanghaiJill

« Reply #399 on: August 16, 2012, 11:36:11 AM »

Back in the late 1970s or early 1980s, NEW YORK MAGAZINE, always on the cutting edge of fashion, promoted a fragrance for infants that smelled like new-mown hay.  They also were pushing black clothing for those too young to walk.   

You have to wonder if that's where some Goths got their start.

Poor little Azaria Chamberlain was wearing a black outfit when the dingo killed her and took her away.  That generated a lot of suspicion.

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #400 on: August 16, 2012, 11:43:08 AM »
There are two products that immediately spring to mind, and I apologize if they were mentioned before and I missed it while skimming through posts.  Both of these were advertised on TV, and both of these were bought by gullible little me at our local Walmart.

The "Quick Chop", the "fast easy way to chop mince slice and dice with just a tap".  I bought this out of curiosity and with no real expectations, and it's a good thing that I wasn't expecting much.  It worked all right the first time, but it was a pain to clean and it marked up the cutting board.  After that, the blades went dull, and there is no way to sharpen them.

"Smooth Away", a buffer for unwanted face/body hair.  It worked, yes.  It buffed away the hair...after being used long enough to make the skin red-raw.  So, it didn't work very well, and it wasn't really worth it.  Again, no expectations, just curiosity.

The "as seen on TV" aisle is a source of amusement these days.  ;D  "The "Pasta Boat"?  Really?  Yeah, I think I'll just stick with our good pot and a colander, thanks."

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #401 on: August 16, 2012, 11:53:30 AM »
May I interest all of you in a news segment called 'Does It Really Do That?'   It's a news segment that's done on NBC stations.

Just google that phrase and take a look. Some are videos, but they usually have narration in text, too. (I can't get videos at work).   That simple little new segment has saved me so much money!!!

There are also other websites where you can read and post reviews for various 'As Seen on TV' items.  They're okay, but not usually as good as the new stories.

Go forth and research!  Save money!

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #402 on: August 16, 2012, 12:55:17 PM »
There are two products that immediately spring to mind, and I apologize if they were mentioned before and I missed it while skimming through posts.  Both of these were advertised on TV, and both of these were bought by gullible little me at our local Walmart.

The "Quick Chop", the "fast easy way to chop mince slice and dice with just a tap".  I bought this out of curiosity and with no real expectations, and it's a good thing that I wasn't expecting much.  It worked all right the first time, but it was a pain to clean and it marked up the cutting board.  After that, the blades went dull, and there is no way to sharpen them.

"Smooth Away", a buffer for unwanted face/body hair.  It worked, yes.  It buffed away the hair...after being used long enough to make the skin red-raw.  So, it didn't work very well, and it wasn't really worth it.  Again, no expectations, just curiosity.

The "as seen on TV" aisle is a source of amusement these days.  ;D  "The "Pasta Boat"?  Really?  Yeah, I think I'll just stick with our good pot and a colander, thanks."

Don't give up on the "Quick Chop"!  I, too, bought one from Wal-Mart after having used my mother's since I was about 8.  My aunt got her one from Pampered Chef way back then (hehheh that was only 16 years ago...) and it still works perfectly today!  The Pampered Chef one is so easy to clean; it even comes apart around the blades so you can get those clean, too.  It's just that the Wal-Mart brand one is cheap and chintzy.  Spend a little bit more money for a higher quality one and you'll be happy.  I can't promise that, but I just used my mom's yesterday to make salad and it worked just like knew; I threw out mine about a week after having it.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #403 on: August 16, 2012, 01:07:59 PM »
Hm, I'd never even considered that!

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #404 on: August 16, 2012, 01:14:30 PM »

Don't give up on the "Quick Chop"!  I, too, bought one from Wal-Mart after having used my mother's since I was about 8.  My aunt got her one from Pampered Chef way back then (hehheh that was only 16 years ago...) and it still works perfectly today!  The Pampered Chef one is so easy to clean; it even comes apart around the blades so you can get those clean, too.  It's just that the Wal-Mart brand one is cheap and chintzy.  Spend a little bit more money for a higher quality one and you'll be happy.  I can't promise that, but I just used my mom's yesterday to make salad and it worked just like knew; I threw out mine about a week after having it.

Gish has one, too, and is nuts about it. I didn't realize it came apart to wash it until he showed me  :-[ :P Can you guess who the cook is in our family?

I, too, tried the Smooth Away and lost a layer of skin with it. That thing burns.

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem