Author Topic: Who came up with this useless product?  (Read 73259 times)

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
Re: Who came up with this useless product?
« Reply #510 on: August 08, 2014, 06:52:44 PM »
I saw the ramen cooker in the store the other day!  It seems like it would be useful for someone who has limited access to cooking facilities, like only having a microwave. And it's perfectly shaped for ramen.  I know I don't have any microwave safe bowls that would fit a block of ramen without being way too big.

At least around here, they sell single-serving ramen bowls.  They're essentially a styrofoam cup you pour boiling water in.  They cost about quarter instead of a dime, but they're convenient for the lack of dishes required  :P

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #511 on: August 08, 2014, 06:55:34 PM »
But then you're throwing away all that styrofoam!

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #512 on: August 08, 2014, 07:04:25 PM »
I saw the ramen cooker in the store the other day!  It seems like it would be useful for someone who has limited access to cooking facilities, like only having a microwave. And it's perfectly shaped for ramen.  I know I don't have any microwave safe bowls that would fit a block of ramen without being way too big.

At least around here, they sell single-serving ramen bowls.  They're essentially a styrofoam cup you pour boiling water in.  They cost about quarter instead of a dime, but they're convenient for the lack of dishes required  :P

Those taste so much different to me than the packaged blocks.  I don't care for the styrofoam cup ones, but the packaged ones are delicious in that poverty-oatmeal way.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #513 on: August 08, 2014, 07:35:57 PM »
I'm wondering if I am the only one who breaks up the blocks before cooking? I am not a fan of the long strands, and it is still good to me. I've always cooked the stuff in the microwave in a bowl that seems about right - never on the stove - so I'm pretty happy for the past, oh! my! 25 years of doing this. But I understand why travelers would really like this item.
_________

I remember how I used to laugh about bottled water until one time we had gastric distress from approved local water while traveling. We now go through at least 3 cases a year (in addition to the 2 gallons home water in jugs for every trip) and always have it available for guests - and their pets.

jolyan

« Reply #514 on: August 08, 2014, 09:10:34 PM »
But you don't need anything other than a small bowl to cook ramen in the microwave! I have plenty of experience doing that.

I have a scar and unbendy pinkie that disagrees with you. I burnt my hand on microwaved ramen in college when the water splashednout.  My own dumb luck but a ramen cooker may have helped

lkb

« Reply #515 on: August 09, 2014, 05:49:08 AM »
Thanks for the insight. It never occurred to me about using them for travel or in situations where therewas a microwave but no stove. (At my first very very cursor glance they lookef metal too. My bad. Thanks for opening my eyes.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #516 on: August 09, 2014, 10:39:44 AM »
Thanks for the insight. It never occurred to me about using them for travel or in situations where therewas a microwave but no stove. (At my first very very cursor glance they lookef metal too. My bad. Thanks for opening my eyes.

No worries! There are a bunch of things I think of as useless and wouldn't fathom buying that other people use daily :)
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Lynnv

« Reply #517 on: August 09, 2014, 12:14:30 PM »

No worries! There are a bunch of things I think of as useless and wouldn't fathom buying that other people use daily :)

Agreed.  This thread has made me see use for some things that I could never have imagined were helpful in any way.    8)
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #518 on: August 10, 2014, 12:20:26 PM »
I'm wondering if I am the only one who breaks up the blocks before cooking? I am not a fan of the long strands, and it is still good to me. I've always cooked the stuff in the microwave in a bowl that seems about right - never on the stove - so I'm pretty happy for the past, oh! my! 25 years of doing this. But I understand why travelers would really like this item.
_________

I remember how I used to laugh about bottled water until one time we had gastric distress from approved local water while traveling. We now go through at least 3 cases a year (in addition to the 2 gallons home water in jugs for every trip) and always have it available for guests - and their pets.

I do! But it took me a while before I figured out that it's better to break the noodles before opening the pack. ::)

I've seen people put the pack on the counter and punch it a few times but that made the noodle bits too small and crumbly for me. Plus I've had the pack explode using that method.

The best way I found is to put the pack of noodles on the edge of the counter so that the counter edge is in the middle of the pack. Press down. Turn the pack 90 degrees and press again . . . perfect 1/4-length noodles. ;D

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #519 on: August 10, 2014, 08:11:24 PM »
_________

I do! But it took me a while before I figured out that it's better to break the noodles before opening the pack. ::)

I've seen people put the pack on the counter and punch it a few times but that made the noodle bits too small and crumbly for me. Plus I've had the pack explode using that method.

The best way I found is to put the pack of noodles on the edge of the counter so that the counter edge is in the middle of the pack. Press down. Turn the pack 90 degrees and press again . . . perfect 1/4-length noodles. ;D

I do the same thing, too.  I just break the ramen pack in half, then turn it and break it again, while still in the package.  I have to make them separate for my husband, as he likes his long, but I prefer them shorter and it's easier for my kids as well.  In fact, sometimes I'll cut theirs a bit further in their bowls to make it even easier.

DoubleTrouble

« Reply #520 on: August 12, 2014, 10:09:11 PM »
Have y'all seen the car headlight false eyelashes?  I nearly piddled myself, I was laughing so hard.

ETA: forgot to add the link  :)

http://www.eyelashes4cars.com/?gclid=CLud-6qKwbgCFSdk7AodCCoAMA

We spotted some on a VW Bug a few months ago, my 5-year-old was so confused & thought the car was alive like the the movie "Cars" Pretty funny to watch him keep checking over his shoulder to see if the car was watching us.

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #521 on: August 13, 2014, 12:40:28 AM »
Have y'all seen the car headlight false eyelashes?  I nearly piddled myself, I was laughing so hard.

We spotted some on a VW Bug a few months ago, my 5-year-old was so confused & thought the car was alive like the the movie "Cars" Pretty funny to watch him keep checking over his shoulder to see if the car was watching us.

I saw a triple whammy of kitchness at the gym a few months back. Barbie pink VW Golf, with pink fur and My Little Ponies on the dashboard, and those giant eyelashes on the front. I was almost tempted to hang around to see who was driving it, but I was on a tight deadline to get home before traffic got too bad.
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #522 on: August 13, 2014, 11:11:52 AM »

I saw a triple whammy of kitchness at the gym a few months back. Barbie pink VW Golf, with pink fur and My Little Ponies on the dashboard, and those giant eyelashes on the front. I was almost tempted to hang around to see who was driving it, but I was on a tight deadline to get home before traffic got too bad.

There's this totally weird car near me (we mostly see it at the library) that is covered with "666" signs and distorted Bible verses and anti-Bible quotes and all sorts of weird things, including a giant pole that sticks up about 8 feet and has more signs on it (signs are over the windows, too, no idea how he sees to drive).  I used to wonder who drove it.  Then one day I was at the library and saw a guy with 666 written on his forehead.  Pretty easy to figure out who drives *that* car!

athersgeo

• No one told you when to run
« Reply #523 on: August 13, 2014, 11:41:13 AM »

There's this totally weird car near me (we mostly see it at the library) that is covered with "666" signs and distorted Bible verses and anti-Bible quotes and all sorts of weird things, including a giant pole that sticks up about 8 feet and has more signs on it (signs are over the windows, too, no idea how he sees to drive).  I used to wonder who drove it.  Then one day I was at the library and saw a guy with 666 written on his forehead.  Pretty easy to figure out who drives *that* car!

There's two cars that I see periodically that always make me smile. One is a Smart which someone has covered with turf (yes, as in real live grass), which is then further decorated according to what's going on (they mowed and painted the Olympic rings into the grass on the bonnet/hood during the London Olympics and I've also seen it with Christmas decorations). Then there's the Harley Davidson rider who decorates for Christmas by covering his bike in fairy lights (I've seen him at least once every holiday season for the past four years).

As for pink cars, I once saw a bubblegum pink Ford Fiesta, replete with cow-print seat covers, pink furry dice (they clashed with the paintwork, btw - the dice were neon pink), eyelashes on the headlights and a decal on the back that said it was "Powered By Fairy Dust". I walked by it on my way into the supermarket and thought "Wow, who on earth drives that?". When I came out, I got my answer: a six foot chap with the build of a rugby player. It's possible he was borrowing his other half's car - but he didn't even look slightly embarrassed so...who am I to judge?...!

And finally, a useless product: melon ballers (as in a tool to make little balls of melon). When we moved house, we decluttered our kitchen and I discovered that we owned not one, not two but three melon ballers (all the same size - approximately the size of a teaspoon measure, but with a hole in for the juice to run out through so you couldn't even repurpose them as measuring scoops), which, to the best of my knowledge, hadn't been used in my life time (I was 30 at the time).

The best bit is we've still got one (mum insisted we keep one, "just in case") - and it still hasn't been used!

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #524 on: August 13, 2014, 11:45:18 AM »
And finally, a useless product: melon ballers (as in a tool to make little balls of melon). When we moved house, we decluttered our kitchen and I discovered that we owned not one, not two but three melon ballers (all the same size - approximately the size of a teaspoon measure, but with a hole in for the juice to run out through so you couldn't even repurpose them as measuring scoops), which, to the best of my knowledge, hadn't been used in my life time (I was 30 at the time).

The best bit is we've still got one (mum insisted we keep one, "just in case") - and it still hasn't been used!

When I was a kid, we had one of those!  With two sides, one larger, one smaller.  My mom used to use it a fair amount, though.  I guess she used her time a lot better than I do, because I can't imagine spending all that time to scoop cute little watermelon balls, at least for most occasions.

I did use it once, though, when I held a baby shower for my SIL.  I cut a watermelon to look like a baby carriage, then scooped watermelon, canteloupe, etc. into little balls, and filled the watermelon rind with those and other fruits.  It was fun, but a *lot* of work.  Not something I'm likely to start doing regularly.  :)