Author Topic: Who came up with this useless product?  (Read 74079 times)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: Who came up with this useless product?
« Reply #525 on: August 13, 2014, 11:48:22 AM »
A melon baller is a great utensil to throw in the grab bag if you ever do a meal with kids where they only get to eat with the utensil they pull out of the bag.

I combined that with a Monk's dinner one night when I was babysitting.  The kids were driving me 'round the bend and I just wanted peace and quiet so for dinner, there was no talking and they had to eat with a funky utensil.  One of them drew a spaghetti fork, which was entertaining.

Apparently, they talked about that dinner for *years*.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Giraffe, Esq

« Reply #526 on: August 13, 2014, 12:38:44 PM »
Oh, I adore melon ballers!  I just cut a melon in half, scoop out the seeds, and sit down with my big "bowl" of melon and a sharp edged "spoon" to scoop out individual bites.  WAY easier than actually slicing and peeling the whole thing.

SpottedPony

« Reply #527 on: August 13, 2014, 02:44:17 PM »
Have y'all seen the car headlight false eyelashes?  I nearly piddled myself, I was laughing so hard.

ETA: forgot to add the link  :)

http://www.eyelashes4cars.com/?gclid=CLud-6qKwbgCFSdk7AodCCoAMA

We spotted some on a VW Bug a few months ago, my 5-year-old was so confused & thought the car was alive like the the movie "Cars" Pretty funny to watch him keep checking over his shoulder to see if the car was watching us.

One time we parked next to a truck that had a set of 'balls' hanging from the trailer hitch.  I pointed it out to my Dad, saying, 'there's a male truck'.  He and I had a good chuckle over it.  When I told my Mom that we were parked next to a male truck, she didn't get it, she thought I meant a mail truck and couldn't understand why I was calling an unmarked truck a mail truck, until she saw the balls in the back. 

I don't know where one would get them, I've never seen them anyware.  In any case, if I were to get something like that, I'd want them in a color close to the color of the vehicle. 

Spotted Pony

magicdomino

« Reply #528 on: August 13, 2014, 04:07:12 PM »
One time we parked next to a truck that had a set of 'balls' hanging from the trailer hitch.  I pointed it out to my Dad, saying, 'there's a male truck'.  He and I had a good chuckle over it.  When I told my Mom that we were parked next to a male truck, she didn't get it, she thought I meant a mail truck and couldn't understand why I was calling an unmarked truck a mail truck, until she saw the balls in the back. 

I don't know where one would get them, I've never seen them anyware.  In any case, if I were to get something like that, I'd want them in a color close to the color of the vehicle. 

Spotted Pony

I think that the male genitalia were originally manufactured as replacements for the, um, maimed.   ;)  It wouldn't surprise me if they are now made for the purpose of making vehicles more macho, in case you had doubts about the owner.  I recently read a book, Paw Enforcement, where a female officer made a bet with her Macho-Man ex-partner.  I forget what he would win, but her reward would be his pick-up truck's massive organs.  She won the bet and got to drive down the road with the organs hanging from the back of her Smart car.   :D

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #529 on: August 13, 2014, 04:45:53 PM »
The car version are called "Truck Nuts" and I wasn't at all surprised to see that the first result on Google was to buy them on Amazon.  They come in pretty much every color imaginable.

Idlewildstudios

« Reply #530 on: August 13, 2014, 06:04:37 PM »
I use a melon baller to scoop the seeds out of apple halves. Beat better than trying to wrestle with a paring knife.

I have seen banana and hot dig slicers at stores.  Cutting a banana is so difficult it requires a special tool?

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #531 on: August 13, 2014, 06:10:50 PM »
I use a melon baller to scoop the seeds out of apple halves. Beat better than trying to wrestle with a paring knife.

I have seen banana and hot dig slicers at stores.  Cutting a banana is so difficult it requires a special tool?

I wonder if they're aimed at people with toddlers who want to "help" with food prep. Otherwise, they're a one-function tool that takes up a lot more room than a knife.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #532 on: August 13, 2014, 07:03:18 PM »
A melon baller is a great utensil to throw in the grab bag if you ever do a meal with kids where they only get to eat with the utensil they pull out of the bag.

I combined that with a Monk's dinner one night when I was babysitting.  The kids were driving me 'round the bend and I just wanted peace and quiet so for dinner, there was no talking and they had to eat with a funky utensil.  One of them drew a spaghetti fork, which was entertaining.

Apparently, they talked about that dinner for *years*.

What is a Monk's dinner ?

A dinner where no one is allowed to speak.  It's great for when the kids are driving you 'round the bend.   :D
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

norrina

« Reply #533 on: August 13, 2014, 08:37:50 PM »
Banana slicer and hard-boiled-egg slicers have been common in the lower age classrooms at the Montessori schools I have subbed at. The children get to practice peeling the bananas and eggs, then slice them safely with the slicers and have a healthy snack.

I've used our melon baller to ball an actual melon a couple times, but mostly find that too tedious to bother with on a regular basis. My more regular use of the melon baller has been to shape cookies. The chocolate chips cookie recipe I use is a stiff chilled dough, so the baller scoops and releases the dough cleanly, and I end up with uniform, perfectly round cookies to boot.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #534 on: August 13, 2014, 09:34:59 PM »
Melon ballers are fantastic for removing olives and capers from tall narrow jars without too much of the liquid.

We have a large red pickup in our area that has "Santa's Sleigh" painted on it with Christmas light bulbs and the driver does look a lot like that jolly ol' elf.

Alicia

« Reply #535 on: August 13, 2014, 09:43:33 PM »
Melon ballers are fantastic for removing olives and capers from tall narrow jars without too much of the liquid.

We have a large red pickup in our area that has "Santa's Sleigh" painted on it with Christmas light bulbs and the driver does look a lot like that jolly ol' elf.

Try a pickle picker upper
http://smile.amazon.com/Animewild-1365-Norpro-Deluxe-Pincher/dp/B000PSBNCG/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1407980331&sr=1-1&keywords=pickle

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #536 on: August 14, 2014, 12:20:56 AM »

Try a pickle picker upper
http://smile.amazon.com/Animewild-1365-Norpro-Deluxe-Pincher/dp/B000PSBNCG/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1407980331&sr=1-1&keywords=pickle

Most fun utensil ever!  Although my dad always called it the "nose picker" which bothered my sister so much she wouldn't use it.  Still, good for olives, pickles, marachino cherries, and abything else where you don't want to stick your fingers in a jar but can't maneuver a spoon well . . .

lowspark

« Reply #537 on: August 14, 2014, 08:33:57 AM »
The most interesting thing about this thread is that for every person who thinks, "who came up with this useless product?" there's someone else who actually thinks that product is useful! What a wonderful world!

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #538 on: August 14, 2014, 10:33:36 AM »
The most interesting thing about this thread is that for every person who thinks, "who came up with this useless product?" there's someone else who actually thinks that product is useful! What a wonderful world!

Agreed!
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

chigger

« Reply #539 on: August 16, 2014, 10:19:21 AM »

Melon ballers are great for scooping out the insides of mushrooms before you stuff them.