Author Topic: Who came up with this useless product?  (Read 69348 times)

chigger

Re: Who came up with this useless product?
« Reply #540 on: August 16, 2014, 10:19:21 AM »
Melon ballers are fantastic for removing olives and capers from tall narrow jars without too much of the liquid.

We have a large red pickup in our area that has "Santa's Sleigh" painted on it with Christmas light bulbs and the driver does look a lot like that jolly ol' elf.

Melon ballers are great for scooping out the insides of mushrooms before you stuff them.

jmarvellous

« Reply #541 on: August 16, 2014, 10:44:13 AM »
I watched the end of "Shark Tank" last night,  and a young woman invented a cardboard box that doesn't need to be taped to assemble it. As the hosts pointed out, it's not exactly a wide open market,  nor is it worth more than triple the price of a regular cardboard box,  even if it's clever.

What surprised me was that the inventor had supposedly won a national college entrepreneur competition. Did no one have those questions along the way?

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #542 on: August 18, 2014, 11:35:11 AM »
I watched the end of "Shark Tank" last night,  and a young woman invented a cardboard box that doesn't need to be taped to assemble it. As the hosts pointed out, it's not exactly a wide open market,  nor is it worth more than triple the price of a regular cardboard box,  even if it's clever.

What surprised me was that the inventor had supposedly won a national college entrepreneur competition. Did no one have those questions along the way?

Yeah, they're called 'Banker's boxes' and I use them all the time at work.  Not exactly a new idea, that.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #543 on: August 18, 2014, 12:13:44 PM »

Yeah, they're called 'Banker's boxes' and I use them all the time at work.  Not exactly a new idea, that.

We also have chip boxes at work. Much less sturdy (the chips are light, so they don't have to be fantastic) but the boxes can be put together and broken down again many times before they wear out.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #544 on: August 19, 2014, 01:39:29 PM »
Melon ballers are fantastic for removing olives and capers from tall narrow jars without too much of the liquid.

We have a large red pickup in our area that has "Santa's Sleigh" painted on it with Christmas light bulbs and the driver does look a lot like that jolly ol' elf.

Try a pickle picker upper
http://smile.amazon.com/Animewild-1365-Norpro-Deluxe-Pincher/dp/B000PSBNCG/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1407980331&sr=1-1&keywords=pickle

Most fun utensil ever!  Although my dad always called it the "nose picker" which bothered my sister so much she wouldn't use it.  Still, good for olives, pickles, marachino cherries, and abything else where you don't want to stick your fingers in a jar but can't maneuver a spoon well . . .

That thing always reminded me of the "nose scene" in Total Recall, so I get your dad's nickname for it.  :D

norrina

« Reply #545 on: August 21, 2014, 12:04:27 PM »

We also have chip boxes at work. Much less sturdy (the chips are light, so they don't have to be fantastic) but the boxes can be put together and broken down again many times before they wear out.

Some of DH and DSS' sneakers come in tapeless boxes as well. They don't hold up particularly well to our cat's insistence that they are his new bed...

marcel

« Reply #546 on: August 23, 2014, 10:37:35 AM »

sounds like standard moving box to me. The ones that i use do not need to be taped.
Wherever you go..... There you are.

demarco

« Reply #547 on: August 23, 2014, 02:05:18 PM »
The Swash

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/money/business/2014/07/16/pg-takes-on-the-dry-cleaner-with-a-new-at-home-device/12728113/

This is a rather large piece of equipment that deodorizes clothing and smooths out wrinkles between washings or dry cleanings. The device is plugged in to an electrical outlet but does not require a water source. A piece of clothing is hung inside the machine and a "pod" is added. The process takes ten minutes. The process does not remove stains. The swash costs $499 and the pods are $6.99 each. The article mentions that the device may be useful in airport lounges but is designed for home use.

I can almost see the airport lounge application if someone is someone is reeking and wrinkled and  is in a furious hurry to meet somebody important but no way on earth can I see giving house space to this thing. There are dry cleaner sheets that work in the dryer and cost a fraction of the pod price.  The sheets deodorize and the dryer action will take out the wrinkles. You can also use the sheets to remove stains which the swash cannot do. The worst thing about the swash, in my opinion, is the space it would take up. I have small rooms and there isn't anywhere in my closet, bathroom or bedroom where this thing would fit without causing  a problem.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #548 on: August 23, 2014, 02:24:41 PM »
The Swash

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/money/business/2014/07/16/pg-takes-on-the-dry-cleaner-with-a-new-at-home-device/12728113/

This is a rather large piece of equipment that deodorizes clothing and smooths out wrinkles between washings or dry cleanings. The device is plugged in to an electrical outlet but does not require a water source. A piece of clothing is hung inside the machine and a "pod" is added. The process takes ten minutes. The process does not remove stains. The swash costs $499 and the pods are $6.99 each. The article mentions that the device may be useful in airport lounges but is designed for home use.

I can almost see the airport lounge application if someone is someone is reeking and wrinkled and  is in a furious hurry to meet somebody important but no way on earth can I see giving house space to this thing. There are dry cleaner sheets that work in the dryer and cost a fraction of the pod price.  The sheets deodorize and the dryer action will take out the wrinkles. You can also use the sheets to remove stains which the swash cannot do. The worst thing about the swash, in my opinion, is the space it would take up. I have small rooms and there isn't anywhere in my closet, bathroom or bedroom where this thing would fit without causing  a problem.

Someone didn't do their research. They have a product that already does that.   It's called Dryel, you can buy it at Walmart or the grocery store for about $10.00.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #549 on: August 23, 2014, 03:10:29 PM »
The Swash

Someone didn't do their research. They have a product that already does that.   It's called Dryel, you can buy it at Walmart or the grocery store for about $10.00.

Twelve pods are $6.99, which helps considerably. "A package of 12 Swash pods will cost $6.99 and come in a variety of scents."

There are very few times I would use it, particularly since we don't go into smoky bars or parties anymore, so I pretty much agree: useless product for most of us.

allthelittledaisies

« Reply #550 on: August 23, 2014, 07:11:01 PM »
The most interesting thing about this thread is that for every person who thinks, "who came up with this useless product?" there's someone else who actually thinks that product is useful! What a wonderful world!

After reading the whole thread so far, that is my favorite part, too! Also I now have several uses, and a burning need for, a melon-baller. How fabulous!

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #551 on: August 23, 2014, 09:24:34 PM »
I use a melon baller to scoop the seeds out of apple halves. Beat better than trying to wrestle with a paring knife.

I have seen banana and hot dig slicers at stores.  Cutting a banana is so difficult it requires a special tool?

I'm tired, and I saw that as "hog slicers." 

Back when I was a youngster we had a cheese slicer - rectangle shaped, with what looked like small serrated knives equally spaced.  Looked like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/161378073042?item=161378073042&lgeo=1&vectorid=229466

What my mother had to say when she tried to use it to slice cheese almost blistered the paneling.

JoW

« Reply #552 on: August 23, 2014, 11:39:26 PM »
A hotdog or banana slice is about the same diameter as a toddler's windpipe.  Cutting those slices in half before giving them to a toddler is important.  But I think the slicer is a gimmick.  Especially since the one I saw in a store was made to look like a dachshund.

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #553 on: August 24, 2014, 12:18:53 PM »
A hotdog or banana slice is about the same diameter as a toddler's windpipe.  Cutting those slices in half before giving them to a toddler is important.  But I think the slicer is a gimmick.  Especially since the one I saw in a store was made to look like a dachshund.

The hotdog slicer seem to be more dicer but the banana slicers seem to just slice.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #554 on: August 24, 2014, 02:11:44 PM »
I'm sure many will find it useful but it made me giggle. I was looking for something to ahem, enhance my cleavage, with some of my outfits for my upcoming vacation. Settled on some inserts you put in your bra designed to push the boobage up.but that's not it.

I also came across some for the nether regions; some sort of padding/insert to hide camel toe! Ok, whatever but I laughed.