Author Topic: Who came up with this useless product?  (Read 73370 times)

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
Re: Who came up with this useless product?
« Reply #555 on: August 24, 2014, 03:06:03 PM »
The Swash

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/money/business/2014/07/16/pg-takes-on-the-dry-cleaner-with-a-new-at-home-device/12728113/

This is a rather large piece of equipment that deodorizes clothing and smooths out wrinkles between washings or dry cleanings. The device is plugged in to an electrical outlet but does not require a water source. A piece of clothing is hung inside the machine and a "pod" is added. The process takes ten minutes. The process does not remove stains. The swash costs $499 and the pods are $6.99 each. The article mentions that the device may be useful in airport lounges but is designed for home use.

I can almost see the airport lounge application if someone is someone is reeking and wrinkled and  is in a furious hurry to meet somebody important but no way on earth can I see giving house space to this thing. There are dry cleaner sheets that work in the dryer and cost a fraction of the pod price.  The sheets deodorize and the dryer action will take out the wrinkles. You can also use the sheets to remove stains which the swash cannot do. The worst thing about the swash, in my opinion, is the space it would take up. I have small rooms and there isn't anywhere in my closet, bathroom or bedroom where this thing would fit without causing  a problem.

Someone didn't do their research. They have a product that already does that.   It's called Dryel, you can buy it at Walmart or the grocery store for about $10.00.

Twelve pods are $6.99, which helps considerably. "A package of 12 Swash pods will cost $6.99 and come in a variety of scents."

There are very few times I would use it, particularly since we don't go into smoky bars or parties anymore, so I pretty much agree: useless product for most of us.

I saw a comparison of the Swash versus steam dryer or plain dryeron GMA.The swash really did perform much better in removing odor & wrinkles. A chambray shirt looked pressed even around the colar. If I still did a bunch of weekly dry cleaning I might invest. We used to spend a minimum of $120 a month on dry cleaning. If I could have cut that by 40% I could recover my cost in less than a year. Also the convenience of being able to refresh an item that I had forgotten to get cleaned at home would be beneficial. They said you could do 2 items at a time so around .30 for each piece for the pods.

jmarvellous

« Reply #556 on: August 24, 2014, 03:29:27 PM »
If you figure that you want to 'pay it off' in a year, and you're doing a shirt and a pair of pants a week, and a suit (two pieces) twice a month, then it's actually $3.58 per item (if you clean double the shirts & pants, it's $2.24/item; if you mete out the cost over 5 years, it goes down to $.93/item & $.68/item, respectively), plus the cost of electricity. Still cheaper than dry cleaning (for suit pieces at least), but as far as I can tell, it's not a substitute for dry cleaning period (i.e., you'll still want to get things thoroughly cleaned every few cycles). The main thing keeping up the cost is the assumption of fixed prices for the pods.

Of course, if you price it out over the life of the machine, it gets lower, but I am not sure how many households need it enough to justify that initial output. So I guess I wouldn't call it a "useless product," just not one that's going to be commonplace anytime soon.

My not-quite-useless but still "What?!" product: Cellphone cases that absorb every speck of dirt. I just replaced my perfectly functional red Body Glove case (with a black and metallic one that's equally functional) because I felt like a slob. No amount of soaking, washing, scrubbing and stain removing got the black smudges off all eight corners of the thing. Manufacturers know that the modern consumer carries a phone everywhere, so why not make the case non-absorbent? (The label says it's "antimicrobial," but apparently not antifilth!)

BioformCassie

• My Etsy Store
« Reply #557 on: December 19, 2014, 08:31:37 AM »

Try a pickle picker upper
http://smile.amazon.com/Animewild-1365-Norpro-Deluxe-Pincher/dp/B000PSBNCG/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1407980331&sr=1-1&keywords=pickle

Thank you for posting this. I've seen one before and couldn't possibly imagine what its purpose was.

We've always used melon ballers for scooping out the insides of zuchinni to make stuffed zucchini boats.

wheeitsme

« Reply #558 on: December 19, 2014, 12:37:45 PM »

Try a pickle picker upper
http://smile.amazon.com/Animewild-1365-Norpro-Deluxe-Pincher/dp/B000PSBNCG/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1407980331&sr=1-1&keywords=pickle

Thank you for posting this. I've seen one before and couldn't possibly imagine what its purpose was.

We've always used melon ballers for scooping out the insides of zuchinni to make stuffed zucchini boats.

We actually have one of those.  Great for olive jars!