Author Topic: Who came up with this useless product?  (Read 54822 times)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
Re: Who came up with this useless product?
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2012, 09:02:47 AM »
Based on a lot of reading I've done over a relatively long period of time, plus my own very recent experience...modern-day shampoo.

Seriously, if everything I've read about sodium lauryl sulfate is even half true, who decided it would be a good idea to put that stuff in all of our shampoo (and soap)?  It isn't necessary for getting one's hair clean (all it really does is suds up and strip necessary oils), and it can be seriously damaging.  I don't need to use an ingredient intended for dish soap on anything but dishes!

I would add to this conditioner with silicone in it (best analogy for that is painting over peeling paint) and most modern "hygiene" practices in general. Many of us don't need to shower every day, and we definitely don't need to wash our hair and skin with detergents on a daily basis. Nor do most of us need antibacterial everything considering we have functioning immune systems.

I saw an ad from the 50s yesterday that said "To keep hygienic, wash hair more often - every 10 days at a minimum but once a week for extra clean!" I've actually adopted this practice - on average I go 5-7 days between washings but I've stretched it to 10. My scalp produces less oily so it doesn't look greasy and my hair is in great condition. Brushing the natural oils through it every day actually makes it very shiny and lustrous.

I don't wash mine all that much either, but mine is due to laziness. Maybe 3 times a week, but I've been known to let it go 4-5 days without washing. 

My useless gadget is a stainless steel "egg" that you hold under running water to get garlic, onion and other smells off your hands.  A table knife or spoon, as long as its stainless works just as well!

I'm with the kitchen gadget brigade; most of them are only good for one purpuse, while you can use basic kitchen stuff for many things!  My current favorite is how I make coffee.  I am lazy, and not at all coherent in the morning.  So making a pot or half pot of coffee was a PITA, not to mention I hated cleaning the pot.  I've tried automatic drip, and my mom's ancient Farberware percolater, which I happen to love, but not cleaning or putting it together. 

So I noticed I had a small mesh strainer.  I now boil water, take the strainer and put a coffee filter in it, spoon in coffe, and pour the boiling water over it.  Only thing to clean is the strainer, whcih i rinse, and then throw in teh DW a couple tiems a week, and the mug. 

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2012, 10:27:57 AM »
Based on a lot of reading I've done over a relatively long period of time, plus my own very recent experience...modern-day shampoo.

Seriously, if everything I've read about sodium lauryl sulfate is even half true, who decided it would be a good idea to put that stuff in all of our shampoo (and soap)?  It isn't necessary for getting one's hair clean (all it really does is suds up and strip necessary oils), and it can be seriously damaging.  I don't need to use an ingredient intended for dish soap on anything but dishes!

I would add to this conditioner with silicone in it (best analogy for that is painting over peeling paint) and most modern "hygiene" practices in general. Many of us don't need to shower every day, and we definitely don't need to wash our hair and skin with detergents on a daily basis. Nor do most of us need antibacterial everything considering we have functioning immune systems.

I saw an ad from the 50s yesterday that said "To keep hygienic, wash hair more often - every 10 days at a minimum but once a week for extra clean!" I've actually adopted this practice - on average I go 5-7 days between washings but I've stretched it to 10. My scalp produces less oily so it doesn't look greasy and my hair is in great condition. Brushing the natural oils through it every day actually makes it very shiny and lustrous.

It took me years after I stopped bathing every day before I stopped feeling like people thought I was the most disgusting person ever for showering every other day.  I have incredibly dry skin, and it's so much happier when I don't soap it down more than necessary.

I can't go more than 2 days without washing my hair, though.  Or at least, it would require an adjustment period that I have no graceful way of living through.  My hair is too short to hide when it looks weird or greasy, although the fact that I'm wearing it curly these days might actually make it easier to get through that adjustment.  Regardless, switching to cleanser that doesn't suds at all (and doesn't have sodium lauryl sulfate) hasn't made my hair feel any less clean than normal shampoo does.  And using water-soluble styling products that don't have any silicone has made a huge improvement in how it looks.

QueenofAllThings

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2012, 11:42:13 AM »
LadyL, I am with you on all the antibacterial stuff. First of all, what good is washing your hands with antibacterial soap, when whatever you touch next is just going to 're-bacteria' them? I refuse to have any antibacterial stuff in my house - nor will I wash down my counter tops with bleach, etc. I firmly believe that one of the reasons I am so healthy - and my children had very few colds and illnesses - is that we have good strong immune systems from all the natural 'good' bacteria in our systems.

BellyBionic

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2012, 11:49:14 AM »
I have no tolerance for multi- blade razors.  In fact, I use a vintage safety razor...with atomic age stars on it!

I can't believe they market so many different tabletop grills, George foreman, waffle irons, "donut" makers, pie presses, sandwich grills....  Why not one appliance with interchangeable plates? Oh yeah, gotta make people buy more stuff...

This.  Seriously.  I think it would be pretty awesome to have a little appliance that can bake some mini donuts, or some little cupcakes, or press a sandwich, or a dozen other things.  I am *not* buying 10 different machines that are identical on the outside and each only do one thing.  I'm a devotee of Alton Brown.  There's only one uni-tasker in my kitchen.

Carotte

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2012, 12:00:41 PM »
Totally with you on the 5-bladed razors, how does that help? Surely any more than 3 isn't adding any benefit.

We have a product here in Australia that was launched with a big ad campaign last year. Its a fancy automatic dispenser for antibacterial soap that has one of those sensors so you don't have to touch a pump, just put your hand under the spout. It was adverstised as being great for families etc and preventing the spread of bacteria as you won't be picking up bugs left on the soap dispenser by other people.

They seem to be completely ignoring the fact that the very first thing you do after dispensing the soap is use it to wash your hands, thereby removing said bacteria.  They managed to convince a lot of people to buy it, but at $20 each, what a rip off!

So that! I had to rant for a good five minutes when I saw the commercial - my mom, (who is a smart lady but sometimes doesn't pay attention to what she saw or just bought) was acting all interested like it was the idea of the year, I was more like *head-desk*.

Cymraes

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2012, 12:10:42 PM »
My mum and I started to put together a list of useless products recently (over a couple of glasses of wine!).

For Christmas, my brother gave her - wait for it - a ruler which lights up when you press down on it???? Her response on opening his gift - "Just what I need when I have to draw a straight line in the dark!"

And to me he gave - this is even better - a pepper grinder which lights up when you use it!!! You never know when I might just be about to spice up my pasta and the electricity goes down!

(My Dad and husband received less useful gifts - but this is bro's speciality and I can't wait to see what he comes up with next year...)

Mae'r e bost hwn ac unrhyw atodiad iddo yn gyfrinachol ac fe'I bwriedir ar gyfer y sawl a enwir arno yn unig. Os yw wedi eich cyrraedd trwy gamgymeriad ni ellwch ei gopio, ei ddosbarthu na'i ddangos i unrhyw un arall a dylech gysylltu gyda yr awdur ar unwaith.

BellyBionic

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2012, 12:11:19 PM »

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/shampoo.asp

Chances are, quite a bit of what you've read isn't true.  Which is not to say that SLS is a fantastic thing that everyone should use daily, but it's not actually dangerous unless you use a ridiculously huge amount of it or you have a specific sensitivity to it (like most products).

I'm with you on modern shampoo in general, though.  It's not actually necessary to strip all the natural oils out of your hair on a daily basis.  I started using the Curly Girl method of hair care years ago, and I don't even buy shampoo anymore.  I just use conditioner every other day and a baking soda scrub/vinegar rinse if I start to get a little greasy.

Irishkitty

• Ce la vie
    • Cards and Crafts by Carol
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2012, 12:17:08 PM »
My mum and I started to put together a list of useless products recently (over a couple of glasses of wine!).

For Christmas, my brother gave her - wait for it - a ruler which lights up when you press down on it???? Her response on opening his gift - "Just what I need when I have to draw a straight line in the dark!"

And to me he gave - this is even better - a pepper grinder which lights up when you use it!!! You never know when I might just be about to spice up my pasta and the electricity goes down!

(My Dad and husband received less useful gifts - but this is bro's speciality and I can't wait to see what he comes up with next year...)

Brilliant! I love your mom's response.

I have a BIL who, although beyond generous with his gifts (and he'd always come over to help if you needed, he's generous in so many ways) always buys us a TONNE of gifts at Christmas. And about half of them we regift/give away/have shoved in the back of a closet somewhere.

One such item was a steamer.

We just couldn't see the point of it. We have a strainer/colander, a saucepan and a lid. Tada! Multipurpose and fits in our tiny, storage light, kitchen.
Ireland
Check out my handmade cards -
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CardsnCraftsbyCarol

Reader

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2012, 03:07:22 PM »
Lemon juice works just as well to remove onion smells from hands.  Haven't tried it on garlic though.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2012, 05:13:30 PM »
Actually, I love my no-touch soap dispenser.  However, I don't have the antibacterial one (I don't like the "everything must be antibacterial" these days).  Mine is a regular one that I put regular soap in.  It's great in the kitchen when I have messy hands and want to wash them without getting meat juice or something like that on everything.

AylaM

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2012, 05:25:47 PM »

It took me years after I stopped bathing every day before I stopped feeling like people thought I was the most disgusting person ever for showering every other day.  I have incredibly dry skin, and it's so much happier when I don't soap it down more than necessary.

I can't go more than 2 days without washing my hair, though.  Or at least, it would require an adjustment period that I have no graceful way of living through.  My hair is too short to hide when it looks weird or greasy, although the fact that I'm wearing it curly these days might actually make it easier to get through that adjustment.  Regardless, switching to cleanser that doesn't suds at all (and doesn't have sodium lauryl sulfate) hasn't made my hair feel any less clean than normal shampoo does.  And using water-soluble styling products that don't have any silicone has made a huge improvement in how it looks.

I could go a couple of days without a shower, but I can't go that long without washing my hair.  It is disgustingly oily.  I shower one morning, and it its oily 24 hours later.  I remember going out once without having showered and my friend stopped me, pulled me aside and said "Kay, what did you put in your hair?"  Or as a teen, when I hadn't taken a shower by noon, and I would later announce I was going to do so father would tell me that "It's about time!"  He was also the first to point out when my hair was oily.

My most useless items I see are kitchen gadgets.  The Eggies?  The stuff for boiling eggs?  And at first, I definately thought the "Robo-stirrer" was going to be one of those, but I got one for Christmas, and really I actually like it.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2012, 05:38:50 PM »
I have no tolerance for multi- blade razors.  In fact, I use a vintage safety razor...with atomic age stars on it!

I can't believe they market so many different tabletop grills, George foreman, waffle irons, "donut" makers, pie presses, sandwich grills....  Why not one appliance with interchangeable plates? Oh yeah, gotta make people buy more stuff...

My George Foreman has a number of different plates that you can use to make different items.  Sadly, storing all the plates takes up about as much room as another one or two of the tabletop grills.  They don't stack easily or in order at all!!

I agree with the storage of these plates. Plus, the one I have anyway (I don't know if they make them bigger), it is much smaller than the original George Foreman . . . I didn't like that at all.

This.  Seriously.  I think it would be pretty awesome to have a little appliance that can bake some mini donuts, or some little cupcakes, or press a sandwich, or a dozen other things.  I am *not* buying 10 different machines that are identical on the outside and each only do one thing.  I'm a devotee of Alton Brown.  There's only one uni-tasker in my kitchen.

The multi-plate George Foreman came with a recipe book that had recipes for cookies and cake! I used to make a batch of dough to store in my fridge/freezer and then, after making dinner, put a couple of cookies on the grill . . . fresh baked cookies for dessert! Every day! ;D

Funny side story:

After my MIL gave me the multi-plate George Foreman grill, I called her almost every night for a week.

"I made waffles for dinner tonight!"

"I made hamburgers for dinner tonight!"

"I made panini's for dinner tonight!" etc.

MIL was thrilled that I was so happy with the grill and was using it every day. She giggled every time I called her.

The next day I called . . .

Me: "I made spaghetti for dinner tonight!"

MIL:  "??? ??? How on earth do you make spaghetti on the grill? The noodles? The sauce? I didn't know that you could do that! :o"

Me: "Oh, I didn't use the grill. I just thought you'd want to know what I made for dinner tonight." >:D

MIL: " ::) BYE!" and she hung up on me  :'(    ;D ;D ;D

back to your regularly scheduled thread . . .

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
  • Paws for a smile
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2012, 05:42:45 PM »
Lemon juice works just as well to remove onion smells from hands.  Haven't tried it on garlic though.

As long as you didn't slice your finger while cutting said onion...

aka

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2012, 06:57:39 PM »
I could go a couple of days without a shower, but I can't go that long without washing my hair.  It is disgustingly oily.  I shower one morning, and it its oily 24 hours later.  I remember going out once without having showered and my friend stopped me, pulled me aside and said "Kay, what did you put in your hair?"  Or as a teen, when I hadn't taken a shower by noon, and I would later announce I was going to do so father would tell me that "It's about time!"  He was also the first to point out when my hair was oily.

From what I have read, your scalp is supposed to calm down and stop producing so much oil after you stop using regular shampoo and stop washing everyday. 

I'mnotinsane

• My mother had me tested
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2012, 07:03:22 PM »
Lowspark, you beat me to it - the classic SNL commercial advertising a razor with 3 blades. It was seen as hysterically ridiculous. SNL also predicted the IPad - but a completely different sort of pad, if you get my drift.

I find many kitchen gadgets useless - a good knife will do most things. Other dumb things - paper cup dispensers for household bathrooms - waste much? , 'lip stencils' - just fill in with lipstick for a perfect look! (Except that, surely, everyone's lips are different?) Most items on infomercials - the Snuggy and the Slanket.  Really?  :o

SNL?  A good knife?  Is anyone else thinking about the Samurai Chef?