Author Topic: Who came up with this useless product?  (Read 65136 times)

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
Re: Who came up with this useless product?
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2012, 07:39:12 PM »
It's not the uselessness of the infomercial gadgetry, it's the dumb ads themselves.  It's toooooo haaaarrrrd to boil water, or cut with scissors, or dump the cooked spaghetti into a colander to strain it.  No, you have to have our special gadget -- and we'll give you, ABSOLUTELY FREE, last month's wonderful gadget that is cluttering up our warehouse because  we couldn't unload them onto enough suckers customers.

That's what I really hated about the original Snuggie commercials -- I'm pretty sure most people are capable of figuring out how blankets work.  ::)

Tai

« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2012, 07:59:48 PM »
I hate hand dryers in general because I want a paper towel- If I just washed my hands, you better believe I'm not touching the door handle to the bathroom with my freshly washed hands.  Doubly so if it is a door knob instead of a door handle- I can hook my foot to open a door handle without touching it if I have to, but not a knob.  The door knob is DIRTY!  Not everyone washes their hands. 

We have 2 slankets and 2 snuggies.  The best thing I use them for?  I stick them between the sheets and DH and I each have our own, so that when its time to use the remote, our arms don't get cold. 

DH hates my desk tea setup.  I have a mug warmer on my desk, and then I have a tea cup with a teapot that sits inside of it when not in use that holds 2 cups of tea.  He hates it because it has three parts to wash...

katycoo

« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2012, 08:09:48 PM »
Based on a lot of reading I've done over a relatively long period of time, plus my own very recent experience...modern-day shampoo.

Seriously, if everything I've read about sodium lauryl sulfate is even half true, who decided it would be a good idea to put that stuff in all of our shampoo (and soap)?  It isn't necessary for getting one's hair clean (all it really does is suds up and strip necessary oils), and it can be seriously damaging.  I don't need to use an ingredient intended for dish soap on anything but dishes!

Its in toothpaste too.

A number of brands make personal hygeine products SLS free, but they aren't popular.  We're very accustomed to things lathering that it feels wrong when they don't.

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2012, 08:26:19 PM »
I had wondered about those knitting needles that light up so that you (general) can knit in the dark.

Has anyone tried them?

BioformCassie

• My Etsy Store
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2012, 08:29:21 PM »
I have! I like the crochet hooks but the knitting needles the top part always breaks off.

kckgirl

« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2012, 08:45:50 PM »
It's not the uselessness of the infomercial gadgetry, it's the dumb ads themselves.  It's toooooo haaaarrrrd to boil water, or cut with scissors, or dump the cooked spaghetti into a colander to strain it.  No, you have to have our special gadget -- and we'll give you, ABSOLUTELY FREE, last month's wonderful gadget that is cluttering up our warehouse because  we couldn't unload them onto enough suckers customers.

We need a LIKE button!
Maryland

Bluenomi

« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2012, 08:53:03 PM »
On the theme of no touch hand wash, they were advertising an anti bacterial hand wash that would keep bacteria off your hands for 4 hours after using it. Sure it does  ::)

DoubleTrouble

« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2012, 09:04:19 PM »
Have to admit that I saw kid-sized Snuggies on deep discount after the holidays at the grocery store & got them for the boys. They love 'em as it keeps them warm plus doubles as a cape ;) However, the one MIL got for DH is somewhere ... DH never used it. MIL is the queen of getting us useless junk but DH always accepts it then never uses it. Yea for a garage sale this year!

SiotehCat

« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2012, 09:05:40 PM »
My DS has a Dallas Cowboys snuggie that I use on long car rides and when sleeping in the car.

whatsanenigma

« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2012, 09:10:19 PM »
That's what I really hated about the original Snuggie commercials -- I'm pretty sure most people are capable of figuring out how blankets work.  ::)

The thing that confuses me about the snuggie is that, to me anyway, it looks like just a backwards housecoat/robe/dressing gown/whatever you call them in your neck of the woods.  Okay, I can see how if you're trying to knit or read or eat or whatever with your hands, a blanket might be awkward.  But when I find myself in that situation, I put on my long housecoat, which from what I can tell is basically the same material as a snuggie.

My dad has one and he just loves it, so, different strokes for different folks, I guess. Whatever makes you happy in your own house. But I still just don't quite understand why somebody had to invent a backwards housecoat.

Kendo_Bunny

• I'm inquisitive!
« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2012, 09:46:22 PM »
My dad has one and he just loves it, so, different strokes for different folks, I guess. Whatever makes you happy in your own house. But I still just don't quite understand why somebody had to invent a backwards housecoat.

I've got this kind of time and actually looked it up. Snuggies were designed for people in wheelchairs, for whom a regular robe would be inconvenient.

emeraldsage85

• Proud auntie of Owen!
« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2012, 09:48:06 PM »
Totally with you on the 5-bladed razors, how does that help? Surely any more than 3 isn't adding any benefit.

We have a product here in Australia that was launched with a big ad campaign last year. Its a fancy automatic dispenser for antibacterial soap that has one of those sensors so you don't have to touch a pump, just put your hand under the spout. It was adverstised as being great for families etc and preventing the spread of bacteria as you won't be picking up bugs left on the soap dispenser by other people.

They seem to be completely ignoring the fact that the very first thing you do after dispensing the soap is use it to wash your hands, thereby removing said bacteria.  They managed to convince a lot of people to buy it, but at $20 each, what a rip off!

They brought this out in Canada too. I think it's just preying on people's fear of germs so they'll buy a new product.

whatsanenigma

« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2012, 09:53:22 PM »
I've got this kind of time and actually looked it up. Snuggies were designed for people in wheelchairs, for whom a regular robe would be inconvenient.

Okay, now that actually makes sense, thanks.  I can understand that.

It's still weird that it got so popular with everybody else, though, I think.  :D

flowersintheattic

« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2012, 10:20:05 PM »
I'm with people on kitchen gadgets usually being the most pointless products. FH and I just registered for our wedding, and it was actually kind of fun to see all the useless stuff in Bed, Bath, and Beyond.

My current eye-roll worthy useless product, though, is pot-fillers. The faucet above a stove so you can fill a stock pot to boil pasta. Every time I see one, all I can think is, "Yeah, that would be useful for the initial fill, but you eventually have to empty the pot, and then you're still carrying a pot full of water across the kitchen, thus negating any benefit you got from the pot filler to begin with!" (Although, to be fair, if you had a pot with one of those built-in strainers, you could just leave the water in the pot on the stove until it evaporates. And the pot filler could be useful if something on the stove catches on fire...)

Also, how does the stainless steel to get rid of garlic and onion smells work? I've never heard that...
...I learned my lesson / And yes, I still remember the last one / But this time will be different / Until I do it again... ~Phish, "Kill Devil Falls"

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2012, 11:11:52 PM »
I could go a couple of days without a shower, but I can't go that long without washing my hair.  It is disgustingly oily.  I shower one morning, and it its oily 24 hours later.  I remember going out once without having showered and my friend stopped me, pulled me aside and said "Kay, what did you put in your hair?"  Or as a teen, when I hadn't taken a shower by noon, and I would later announce I was going to do so father would tell me that "It's about time!"  He was also the first to point out when my hair was oily.

From what I have read, your scalp is supposed to calm down and stop producing so much oil after you stop using regular shampoo and stop washing everyday.

Working on this assumption, I have spent the last couple of years washing my hair only 2-3 times a week. I normally wash it with the *baking soda and vinegar method, and use conditioner when I have to go out and want to not look completely horrifying (it gets out excess oil but doesn't really wash my hair).

In the first few months, my hair calmed down a little bit. It used to be that it would be completely horrible just after sleeping on it. Now I can wash it before bed and wake up with OK hair. But it still only take about 36 hours to be completely gross after a washing. I think some people's hair is just naturally greasy. Which is unfortunate. On the days I do wash it, it looks way better than when I'm washing it every day.

*Until I started swimming again. For some reason, my hair gets crunchy now if I use the baking soda method. Back to square one.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah