Author Topic: Who came up with this useless product?  (Read 71256 times)

bluhairfreak

Re: Who came up with this useless product?
« Reply #60 on: February 05, 2012, 11:52:25 PM »
I could go a couple of days without a shower, but I can't go that long without washing my hair.  It is disgustingly oily.  I shower one morning, and it its oily 24 hours later.  I remember going out once without having showered and my friend stopped me, pulled me aside and said "Kay, what did you put in your hair?"  Or as a teen, when I hadn't taken a shower by noon, and I would later announce I was going to do so father would tell me that "It's about time!"  He was also the first to point out when my hair was oily.

From what I have read, your scalp is supposed to calm down and stop producing so much oil after you stop using regular shampoo and stop washing everyday.

But... But... how do you survive the transitional period???  :o

I think I would have to become a hermit.

Dry shampoo.  There's a few in regular stores, advertised for use after workouts and one from lush(if you can get it)  They soak up the oil and then you brush it out.

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #61 on: February 05, 2012, 11:56:29 PM »
Everybody's scalp produces a different amount of oil, just like people have different oil production levels in their skin.  At least from anecdotal evidence, all the people I know who struggled with oily skin also struggle at least a bit with oily scalps.  I, on the other hand, have totally dry skin and a mostly normal amount of scalp-oil production.

But, at the same time, I think it's generally useful across the board for people to wash their hair/skin only as often as it actually is dirty, whether that means once a day or once a week.  The idea that everyone needs to wash their hair every day is a modern invention that doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #62 on: February 06, 2012, 12:04:01 AM »
I could go a couple of days without a shower, but I can't go that long without washing my hair.  It is disgustingly oily.  I shower one morning, and it its oily 24 hours later.  I remember going out once without having showered and my friend stopped me, pulled me aside and said "Kay, what did you put in your hair?"  Or as a teen, when I hadn't taken a shower by noon, and I would later announce I was going to do so father would tell me that "It's about time!"  He was also the first to point out when my hair was oily.

From what I have read, your scalp is supposed to calm down and stop producing so much oil after you stop using regular shampoo and stop washing everyday.

Working on this assumption, I have spent the last couple of years washing my hair only 2-3 times a week. I normally wash it with the *baking soda and vinegar method, and use conditioner when I have to go out and want to not look completely horrifying (it gets out excess oil but doesn't really wash my hair).

In the first few months, my hair calmed down a little bit. It used to be that it would be completely horrible just after sleeping on it. Now I can wash it before bed and wake up with OK hair. But it still only take about 36 hours to be completely gross after a washing. I think some people's hair is just naturally greasy. Which is unfortunate. On the days I do wash it, it looks way better than when I'm washing it every day.

*Until I started swimming again. For some reason, my hair gets crunchy now if I use the baking soda method. Back to square one.

This depends a lot on how long your hair is, too.  I'm not a shower-every-day person, but when I had long hair I really had to go for a week in between showers for it to actually be noticeable.  (*I* would feel icky after two or three days, but since the oil was really only in the inch or two of hair closest to my scalp, it didn't affect the rest of my hair.)  Now that I have it very short, it feels grosser after 24 hours than it used to after four days.

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #63 on: February 06, 2012, 01:55:53 AM »
I saw a product like this https://www.orderforeverlazy.com/ advertised on TV before Christmas.  This product was different though.  It had a wider variety of colors and prints, attachable fleece feet and little hats you could wear with cat ears and the like.  All for adults.

rashea

• Super Hero!
« Reply #64 on: February 06, 2012, 10:19:11 AM »
MrsJWine, try skipping the vinegar. I found it left my hair feeling odd. I use baking soda and regular conditioner.

My secret for getting through the transition was to start using less shampoo for a while. I was amazed at how little I really needed to use. Then I would alternate washing it with shampoo and baking soda. Gradually I stopped using shampoo. It wasn't really bad at any point, and now I love it. I do use shampoo about once a month to pull any lingering stuff out, but I probably could skip it.
"Manners change, principles don't. It's about treating people with consideration, respect and honesty." Peter Post

Vermont

kethria

• عاشق, ولهان
« Reply #65 on: February 06, 2012, 11:28:15 AM »
The magic Bullet. Isn't it just a mini blender?
I do have to say the magic bullet is AMAZING for doing baby food and daiquiri style drinks. The difference is that the cup has the blades screw on to the top, so you turn it over and can use it as a glass. I used it every night to make baby food back when I could spoon feed the muffin. It is awesome. I still use it 3 or more times a week for different stuff.

Moray

• My hovercraft is full of eels!
« Reply #66 on: February 06, 2012, 11:43:54 AM »

But... But... how do you survive the transitional period???  :o

I think I would have to become a hermit.

Dry shampoo.  There's a few in regular stores, advertised for use after workouts and one from lush(if you can get it)  They soak up the oil and then you brush it out.

Yes. Even plain cornstarch will do in a pinch.  What I found most useful, though, was getting a 100% boar bristle brush, which distributes scalp/root oil down the length of your hair, eliminating "grease clumping" and gets rid of any fuzzies or dust you've picked up over the course of the day.

You don't have to spend a whole bunch, I got a Goody brand one for about $7 at my local drugstore. If you've never used one before, it'll be a little strange, since they don't really "penetrate" the hair to detangle and whatnot like a normal brush. De-tangle first, then brush at night from root to tip. I have to work in sections and  follow the brush with my hand to cut down on frizzies. Once you've done this, you're going to look pretty gross at first, because all the oil near your scalp will have been spread out along the length of your hair. In the morning, though? Once it's had a chance to sink in? Heaven. My hair looks shiny and conditioned all over, instead of looking "normal" on the length then super greasy near the scalp.

Make sure you wash your brush regularly, though. I do mine the same night I wash my hair, so every 3-4 days.
Utah

lowspark

« Reply #67 on: February 06, 2012, 01:06:01 PM »
The real purpose of a pot filler is for situations where you are adding water to something repeatedly as it cooks. Beans for example. Even then, it seems silly to me, but at least less silly than just using it to fill a pot for pasta.

But you know, for most people who install one, it's not about the purpose, it's about the look. Which of course, will some day be very dated as they are so trendy now and have been for several years. So it's only a matter of time till we see people ripping them out and redoing their backsplash because of it.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #68 on: February 06, 2012, 02:19:13 PM »
whatsanenigma wrote:

"It's still weird that it got so popular with everybody else, though, I think."

The reason why the Snuggie got popular with the general public is the same reason why it's useful to people in wheelchairs.  If you're sitting on the couch and you get chilly, you can put it on without getting up, but it still keeps your arms warm without having to give up easy access to your hands.  My wife, who knits constantly, swears by her Snuggie because of this.

Virg

CakeBeret

« Reply #69 on: February 06, 2012, 04:38:27 PM »
The magic Bullet. Isn't it just a mini blender?
I do have to say the magic bullet is AMAZING for doing baby food and daiquiri style drinks. The difference is that the cup has the blades screw on to the top, so you turn it over and can use it as a glass. I used it every night to make baby food back when I could spoon feed the muffin. It is awesome. I still use it 3 or more times a week for different stuff.

I love my magic bullet. I use it mainly for smoothies, because you blend in the same cup you drink from. I like that the cups are smaller than a regular blender, because it's easier for small food prep tasks. I use mine several times a week, whereas when I had a blender I used it once a month or less. It was a PITA to clean and the blending jar was way too big for most tasks.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

Danismom

« Reply #70 on: February 06, 2012, 05:46:13 PM »
I tend to be cold-natured, especially compared to my very warm DH.  I like using my snuggie at my desk while surfing ehell and doing schoolwork.  It's nice to be able to type and navigate the web while staying warm.

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #71 on: February 06, 2012, 07:25:15 PM »
It's not the uselessness of the infomercial gadgetry, it's the dumb ads themselves.  It's toooooo haaaarrrrd to boil water, or cut with scissors, or dump the cooked spaghetti into a colander to strain it.  No, you have to have our special gadget -- and we'll give you, ABSOLUTELY FREE, last month's wonderful gadget that is cluttering up our warehouse because  we couldn't unload them onto enough suckers customers.

YES!  And the horrible, sad, frustrated faces the actors make too.  Really?  Is it taht hard to do something without this fancy schmancy gadget?  I think not. But apparetnly lots of people fall for it since some of them sell very well.

Here's the kicker: the sad, unable actors are always in black and white. Apparently, the Slap Chop can COLORIZE YOUR WORLD.
Words mean things.

duhrich

« Reply #72 on: February 06, 2012, 07:26:32 PM »
The real purpose of a pot filler is for situations where you are adding water to something repeatedly as it cooks. Beans for example. Even then, it seems silly to me, but at least less silly than just using it to fill a pot for pasta.

But you know, for most people who install one, it's not about the purpose, it's about the look. Which of course, will some day be very dated as they are so trendy now and have been for several years. So it's only a matter of time till we see people ripping them out and redoing their backsplash because of it.

I want one because it's really hard on my faucet to try to force some of our big pots under it to fill.  I think it would be an awesome kitchen fixture.

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #73 on: February 06, 2012, 07:27:26 PM »
I saw a product like this https://www.orderforeverlazy.com/ advertised on TV before Christmas.  This product was different though.  It had a wider variety of colors and prints, attachable fleece feet and little hats you could wear with cat ears and the like.  All for adults.

I got my guy a Forever Lazy for Christmas. It's blue. He looks like a giant Smurf. It scares me some.
Words mean things.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #74 on: February 06, 2012, 08:38:55 PM »

I want one because it's really hard on my faucet to try to force some of our big pots under it to fill.  I think it would be an awesome kitchen fixture.
Replace your sink faucet instead.  This is what builders put in as standard:

Replace it with something like this:

Lots cheaper than tearing out the walls to run plumbing for something that can only be used for filling pots!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~