Author Topic: Who came up with this useless product?  (Read 59013 times)

flowersintheattic

Re: Who came up with this useless product?
« Reply #75 on: February 06, 2012, 09:39:20 PM »
The real purpose of a pot filler is for situations where you are adding water to something repeatedly as it cooks. Beans for example. Even then, it seems silly to me, but at least less silly than just using it to fill a pot for pasta.

But you know, for most people who install one, it's not about the purpose, it's about the look. Which of course, will some day be very dated as they are so trendy now and have been for several years. So it's only a matter of time till we see people ripping them out and redoing their backsplash because of it.

I want one because it's really hard on my faucet to try to force some of our big pots under it to fill.  I think it would be an awesome kitchen fixture.
Replace your sink faucet instead.  This is what builders put in as standard:

Replace it with something like this:

Lots cheaper than tearing out the walls to run plumbing for something that can only be used for filling pots!

I never considered that it would be difficult to get pots under a faucet. Before moving into our current place, I would use short pots for things because that's all I had. In our current place, we have full-size stockpots, but we also have a faucet like the one on the bottom along with a really deep sink.
...I learned my lesson / And yes, I still remember the last one / But this time will be different / Until I do it again... ~Phish, "Kill Devil Falls"

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #76 on: February 06, 2012, 09:54:43 PM »
Everybody's scalp produces a different amount of oil, just like people have different oil production levels in their skin.  At least from anecdotal evidence, all the people I know who struggled with oily skin also struggle at least a bit with oily scalps.  I, on the other hand, have totally dry skin and a mostly normal amount of scalp-oil production.

But, at the same time, I think it's generally useful across the board for people to wash their hair/skin only as often as it actually is dirty, whether that means once a day or once a week.  The idea that everyone needs to wash their hair every day is a modern invention that doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Yes, it does vary.  My mother has very dry hair, and my sisters and I have oily hair.  She was convinced that we weren't washing our hair properly when we were growing up, as ours needed to be done more than once a week....

But at the same time, it wasn't that long ago that many women never washed their own hair.  They visited the local salon once a week for the shampoo-and-set, and that was it.

Lynnv

« Reply #77 on: February 06, 2012, 09:55:53 PM »
The real purpose of a pot filler is for situations where you are adding water to something repeatedly as it cooks. Beans for example. Even then, it seems silly to me, but at least less silly than just using it to fill a pot for pasta.

But you know, for most people who install one, it's not about the purpose, it's about the look. Which of course, will some day be very dated as they are so trendy now and have been for several years. So it's only a matter of time till we see people ripping them out and redoing their backsplash because of it.

I want one because it's really hard on my faucet to try to force some of our big pots under it to fill.  I think it would be an awesome kitchen fixture.

Me too-I would love to have one.  And, since I think they all look a little 'industrial kitchen' for my taste, I can guarantee it isn't about the look. 

It would be nice enough for making pasta and such, as I would only have to lug the pot one direction, but pasta making wouldn't be enough for me to want one.  But when I have my big canner fired up and am making 8-10 dozen jars of jam that all have to be boiled-a potfiller would make a huge difference for me.  And when I am making stock in my big stockpots, it would also be a nice thing not to have to haul the cauldrons stockpots across the room when they are full of water (right now I ferry water back and forth, but it takes quite a few trips as my stockpots are big).
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

katycoo

« Reply #78 on: February 06, 2012, 10:36:36 PM »
A pot filler?  Pfft.  Use a jug if you need to add water during cooking.

I have the most awesome faucet on my sink.  We replaced the old stupid low one and now everything fits:

princessdolly

• The core of all life is a limitless chest of tales
« Reply #79 on: February 07, 2012, 09:11:58 AM »
Those stupid antibacterial soap dispensers drive me nuts! :) The first thing you do after touching it is wash your hands so it's not needed.but also you have to turn off the tap. Which you turned on with dirty hands. A sensor for the tap would make more sense.

I recently saw an ad for cuddly toys for your pet to help with separation anxiety when you leave them alone. But in the small print at the bottom of the screen it says they are not to be left unattended with it.  :o

Fleur-de-Lis

• Dum Vivimus, Vivamus!
« Reply #80 on: February 07, 2012, 01:31:01 PM »

What is your source for the statement above?

I got this

The purpose of a pot filler faucet is to provide a way to fill pots without having to carry the pot from one side of the kitchen to the other. This is especially helpful in larger kitchens or in kitchens designed for older people who may lack the strength to carry heavy pots from one place to another. This is one of the main advantages to a pot filler faucet.

from here:

http://www.ehow.com/list_6002260_pros-cons-pot-filler-faucets.html

Like others, I'm not so keen on filling a pot *while* I'm cooking, and I don't cook enough which starts with a giant enough quantity of water to worry about having a pot filler at the stove, but being able to clean the dang pot afterward is of use to me, so I would cheerfully re-design my kitchen with deeper sinks and a different faucet. 
   Finally we shall place the Sun himself at the center of the Universe.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #81 on: February 07, 2012, 01:48:53 PM »
My dad has one and he just loves it, so, different strokes for different folks, I guess. Whatever makes you happy in your own house. But I still just don't quite understand why somebody had to invent a backwards housecoat.

I've got this kind of time and actually looked it up. Snuggies were designed for people in wheelchairs, for whom a regular robe would be inconvenient.

Ohhh, no kidding. That really does make sense. Thanks for that li'l nugget.
I like my Snuggie ok, but Gish just loves his. It's great for video gaming. His is manly, it has skulls on it. :)

I had never seen or heard of a pot filler before this thread. I had to Google it. Are they very common?

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

drebay

• drebay does not stand for Dr Ebay!
« Reply #82 on: February 07, 2012, 02:16:10 PM »
whatsanenigma wrote:

"It's still weird that it got so popular with everybody else, though, I think."

The reason why the Snuggie got popular with the general public is the same reason why it's useful to people in wheelchairs.  If you're sitting on the couch and you get chilly, you can put it on without getting up, but it still keeps your arms warm without having to give up easy access to your hands.  My wife, who knits constantly, swears by her Snuggie because of this.

Virg

All I do is put my coat on backwards.  No hood on my coat.  I keep it next to me most of the time anyway.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 02:18:22 PM by drebay »

lowspark

« Reply #83 on: February 07, 2012, 02:37:48 PM »

I don't have an authoratative source for it. That's just how it was explained to me a few years ago when I was remodeling my kitchen. I had the same question that was mentioned above: What's the point of filling the pot at the cooktop when you still have to carry it to the sink to drain it. The answer I was given was, its real use is for cooking something to which water must be added multiple times through the cooking process.

Fleur-de-Lis

• Dum Vivimus, Vivamus!
« Reply #84 on: February 07, 2012, 02:38:18 PM »
Fake pets (i.e., dolls which look like sleeping cats or puppies). They have a motion unit so they appear to breathe. Only $35.99.   

Fleur-de-Lis

• Dum Vivimus, Vivamus!
« Reply #85 on: February 07, 2012, 02:41:21 PM »

I don't have an authoratative source for it. That's just how it was explained to me a few years ago when I was remodeling my kitchen. I had the same question that was mentioned above: What's the point of filling the pot at the cooktop when you still have to carry it to the sink to drain it. The answer I was given was, its real use is for cooking something to which water must be added multiple times through the cooking process.

Filling the pot at the sink and then carrying it *can* mean having to lift the full pot out of the sink. 

Filling the pot at the stove eliminates that problem. 

Once the dish is fully cooked, it is reasonable to figure servings may be taken directly from the pot, without requiring that the pot be moved, or at least without moving the pot too far.   

When the pot has to be moved to the sink to be cleaned, the weight should not be an issue.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #86 on: February 07, 2012, 02:45:08 PM »
Lynnv wrote:

"It would be nice enough for making pasta and such, as I would only have to lug the pot one direction, but pasta making wouldn't be enough for me to want one.  But when I have my big canner fired up and am making 8-10 dozen jars of jam that all have to be boiled-a potfiller would make a huge difference for me.  And when I am making stock in my big stockpots, it would also be a nice thing not to have to haul the cauldrons stockpots across the room when they are full of water (right now I ferry water back and forth, but it takes quite a few trips as my stockpots are big)."

If you don't mind the fact that it looks like a bit of a kludge, you can get a plumber to attach a tap under the sink, attach a small hose with a hand trigger (make sure it's long enough to reach the stove), and store it under the sink.  When you're working the canning, you can drag out the hose to fill pots without requiring a big plumbing job.

lowspark wrote:

"I don't have an authoratative source for it. That's just how it was explained to me a few years ago when I was remodeling my kitchen."

I suspect that Fleur-de-Lis was asking for a source to back up "But you know, for most people who install one, it's not about the purpose, it's about the look."  That statement does sound dismissive.

Virg

lowspark

« Reply #87 on: February 07, 2012, 02:53:21 PM »
Yeah, I can see that. The reason I say it though is this. When I was remodeling my kitchen, so over the course of a year and then some, I frequented a kitchen remodeling forum. And based on the conversations there, I would say that maybe 10% of the people who got a pot filler did it for utilitarian reasons. The vast majority were, by their own admission, getting one for looks, or because it seemed like a cool thing or some similar reason.

So I don't have any facts or figures, my opinion comes from anecdotal evidence from the forum and based on what I learned from other sources when I was researching my kitchen.

I probably shouldn't have said it was silly. What I should have said was that it wasn't something I'd ever really use to its fullest extent (and I cook a lot) and that I don't think most other people would either.

Fleur-de-Lis

• Dum Vivimus, Vivamus!
« Reply #88 on: February 07, 2012, 02:59:44 PM »

lowspark wrote:

"I don't have an authoratative source for it. That's just how it was explained to me a few years ago when I was remodeling my kitchen."

I suspect that Fleur-de-Lis was asking for a source to back up "But you know, for most people who install one, it's not about the purpose, it's about the look."  That statement does sound dismissive.

Virg

Actually, my query was as to the source for the definitive-sounding "The real purpose of the pot filler was to add water to foods as they were cooking."

"Adding water to food as it cooks" strikes me as somewhat dangerous - a sudden influx of liquid at an uncertain, difficult to control rate and pressure  (just turning on the tap!) seems likely to result in splashing, etc. It seems much better to use a pitcher, as another poster suggested, to add water to a dish currently being cooked. 

I offered an explanation I found more plausible (not having to carry said pot from the sink to the stove) (not to mention the unstated but, to me, valuable benefit of not having to lift a full pot of water up out of the sink) and a citation, albeit from a relatively weak source.

lowspark

« Reply #89 on: February 07, 2012, 03:16:49 PM »
OK, I stand corrected. Like I said, that's how it was explained to me and I took the explanation at face value. And I'm sorry but I have to say that the whole idea of it just doesn't make sense to me. That's my opinion. In addition to which, a faucet with no drain would make me uncomfortable.