Author Topic: Who came up with this useless product?  (Read 69428 times)

gypsy77

Re: Who came up with this useless product?
« Reply #90 on: February 07, 2012, 03:29:01 PM »

*trim*

Most shampoo companies (that are not professional product) use it becasue it is a cheap cleanser. However it is kinda harsh for most poeples uses. It will strip artifical colour out of your hair as well. So its best not to use a product with it in it if you can avoid it.

I have unfortunately inherited my grandmother's super-fine hair, and now that I am in my mid 30's it is starting to thin out. I started using shampoo bars that I buy from Etsy, from someone who lists all her ingredients, so I know exactly what is in them.

I expected the improved general hair condition, no longer having to use a seperate hair conditioner as my hair is no longer being stripped, etc. A huge added bonus side effect has been that the rate of thinning has stopped, and might have reversed a little. ( I am fully prepared to admit to myself it may not have reversed, just that it has more volume from not being weighed down, but there is *way* less hair in my comb) I am convinced it is the lack of SLS in the product.

And just so I am not straying too far off topic here, my favorite useless product ever was the flowbee. You put an attachment on the end of yur vacuum hose, and started vacuuming around your head, and the attachment would cut your hair as it was being sucked up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3G1cwqYkO4

"just bounce it all over your head!"

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #91 on: February 07, 2012, 03:51:42 PM »
I desperately want a flowbee. I'm not sure what I'd use it on. The two-year-old? I don't know. But I'd FIND something to use it on, by golly.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #92 on: February 07, 2012, 04:20:52 PM »
lowspark wrote:

"And I'm sorry but I have to say that the whole idea of it just doesn't make sense to me. That's my opinion. In addition to which, a faucet with no drain would make me uncomfortable."

Take in mind that the place where you see a faucet near the cook surface a lot is in professional kitchens.  When you're cooking for fifty you can go through some mega-big pots of water and not having to move them far can be a back saver.  I'm not really sure why they became so popular in home kitchens, but I suspect that Food Network is at least partly to blame.

MrsJWine wrote:

"I desperately want a flowbee. I'm not sure what I'd use it on."

If you have a dog that tolerates the noise, it makes it REALLY easy to keep them groomed.

Virg

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #93 on: February 07, 2012, 04:21:49 PM »
MrsJWine wrote:

If you have a dog that tolerates the noise, it makes it REALLY easy to keep them groomed.

Virg

Note to self: get long-haired dog.

Utah

Seven Ate Nine

« Reply #94 on: February 07, 2012, 04:23:21 PM »
MrsJWine wrote:

Virg

I have a short haired dog but I am fairly certain someone tried to flowbee him at least once.  I know that most dogs don't like vacuums, but I have never seen a dog so terrified of the darn machine.  I can't even move it through is line of vision (off!) without him running from the room.

faithlessone

« Reply #95 on: February 07, 2012, 04:40:18 PM »
Everybody's scalp produces a different amount of oil, just like people have different oil production levels in their skin.  At least from anecdotal evidence, all the people I know who struggled with oily skin also struggle at least a bit with oily scalps.  I, on the other hand, have totally dry skin and a mostly normal amount of scalp-oil production.

But, at the same time, I think it's generally useful across the board for people to wash their hair/skin only as often as it actually is dirty, whether that means once a day or once a week.  The idea that everyone needs to wash their hair every day is a modern invention that doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Yes, it does vary.  My mother has very dry hair, and my sisters and I have oily hair.  She was convinced that we weren't washing our hair properly when we were growing up, as ours needed to be done more than once a week....

But at the same time, it wasn't that long ago that many women never washed their own hair.  They visited the local salon once a week for the shampoo-and-set, and that was it.

Heh - it's the same with my mum and me. She has very dry hair, and only washes it once a week, if that. I think the longest she's gone is about a fortnight, without even getting it wet, and you could barely tell. I, on the other hand, wash my hair every other day. I've tried the baking soda method, but all that did was make my hair really limp and lacklustre. Shampoo and conditioner are the only things that seem to give me nice looking hair.

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #96 on: February 07, 2012, 04:42:49 PM »
Faithlessone, do you have hard or soft water? We had soft water when I first started using the baking soda method. It made my hair look practically magical. Then we moved here, and my hair got really gross really fast. I finally figured out that the baking soda can't dissolve properly in hard water. Someone here posted the suggestion to boil the water and mix it that way. Worked like a charm. Stick the cup in a sink filled a little ways with cold water, and it doesn't take very long to cool down enough to use.

Utah

KimberlyM

« Reply #97 on: February 07, 2012, 04:53:31 PM »
This isn't so much useless as just disgusting, but those automatic toothpaste dispensers.  Push your toothbrush under it and it puts "just the right amount" of toothpaste on it.  Yeah, but then everyone's mouth germs are all over the thing...ewww.

http://www.thetoothpastedispenser.com/

faithlessone

« Reply #98 on: February 07, 2012, 05:01:30 PM »
Faithlessone, do you have hard or soft water? We had soft water when I first started using the baking soda method. It made my hair look practically magical. Then we moved here, and my hair got really gross really fast. I finally figured out that the baking soda can't dissolve properly in hard water. Someone here posted the suggestion to boil the water and mix it that way. Worked like a charm. Stick the cup in a sink filled a little ways with cold water, and it doesn't take very long to cool down enough to use.

Oh, our water is horribly hard. Hmm... I might try the boiling method then. Thank you!

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #99 on: February 07, 2012, 05:26:55 PM »
There are sewing needles that are really easy to thread without having to go through the eye. They are easy to thread, but the quality of the things are crap, so they catch on even cotton quilting material and are just ruiness to anything finer. I can look at them and see how they could be improved! There's $10 in the garbage can. I really hope someone improves the quality soon.

There is a longhandled shoe horn that grabs the shoe (cool!) then when the user tries to take the horn off the foot, the handle comes off even though the length adjuster is tightened down with a pliers!

These are good ideas executed badly.

BabylonSister

• Shake it!
« Reply #100 on: February 07, 2012, 10:48:38 PM »
And just so I am not straying too far off topic here, my favorite useless product ever was the flowbee. You put an attachment on the end of yur vacuum hose, and started vacuuming around your head, and the attachment would cut your hair as it was being sucked up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3G1cwqYkO4

"just bounce it all over your head!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AioVDsXidh0

It will suck your will to live!

Today at the thrift store I saw knee-length wool twill pants. Too warm for capri pants season, too short for woolen pants season.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #101 on: February 08, 2012, 08:52:02 AM »

Today at the thrift store I saw knee-length wool twill pants. Too warm for capri pants season, too short for woolen pants season.

You are supposed to wear them with tights. We also wore wool Bermuda shorts with knee high heavy socks - Argyle or cable knit - and penny loafers.

Keep in mind how short some skirts often are!

One fashion designer tried to make business suits with shorts one year. That did not go over well.

Irishkitty

• Ce la vie
    • Cards and Crafts by Carol
« Reply #102 on: February 08, 2012, 08:57:28 AM »
"One fashion designer tried to make business suits with shorts one year. That did not go over well."

That was in fashion for spring/summer a year (or 2?) ago. People wore shorts (not hotpants, but not bermudas either) with tights and a smart jacket.

Ireland
Check out my handmade cards -
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CardsnCraftsbyCarol

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #103 on: February 08, 2012, 09:44:55 AM »
"One fashion designer tried to make business suits with shorts one year. That did not go over well."

That was in fashion for spring/summer a year (or 2?) ago. People wore shorts (not hotpants, but not bermudas either) with tights and a smart jacket.

The one I remember was in the 60's for all seasons. Guess they never give up. Maybe someday it will catch on. Thanks for telling me about a couple of years ago. I missed that one.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #104 on: February 08, 2012, 10:15:39 AM »
Luci45 wrote:

It works in Bermuda.  The funny part is that it also works in some old fashioned British companies.  I used to work for such a company, and one day one of my employees came in wearing a suit jacket with Bermuda shorts.  My manager (a transplant from the Midwest) told me I should send him home to change, but I told him I'd already checked with the division manager who had told me that it was fit to the dress code.

Virg