Author Topic: Who came up with this useless product?  (Read 69587 times)

purplemuse

• Super Hero!
  • This is going to be super special awesome!
Re: Who came up with this useless product?
« Reply #105 on: February 08, 2012, 12:03:22 PM »
whatsanenigma wrote:

"It's still weird that it got so popular with everybody else, though, I think."

The reason why the Snuggie got popular with the general public is the same reason why it's useful to people in wheelchairs.  If you're sitting on the couch and you get chilly, you can put it on without getting up, but it still keeps your arms warm without having to give up easy access to your hands.  My wife, who knits constantly, swears by her Snuggie because of this.

Virg

All I do is put my coat on backwards.  No hood on my coat.  I keep it next to me most of the time anyway.

For me, there's a difference in curling up under a blanket and curling up under a coat or a backwards robe. I find the former is much more comfy and cozy.

So the extra comfort + the convenience of sleeves makes the Snuggie worth it for me.

turtleIScream

« Reply #106 on: February 08, 2012, 01:33:03 PM »
whatsanenigma wrote:

"It's still weird that it got so popular with everybody else, though, I think."

The reason why the Snuggie got popular with the general public is the same reason why it's useful to people in wheelchairs.  If you're sitting on the couch and you get chilly, you can put it on without getting up, but it still keeps your arms warm without having to give up easy access to your hands.  My wife, who knits constantly, swears by her Snuggie because of this.

Virg

All I do is put my coat on backwards.  No hood on my coat.  I keep it next to me most of the time anyway.

For me, there's a difference in curling up under a blanket and curling up under a coat or a backwards robe. I find the former is much more comfy and cozy.

So the extra comfort + the convenience of sleeves makes the Snuggie worth it for me.

Same here. It also helps that I have the Brookstone version, so it's extra plush and cozy.  I love that it's long enough to scrunch under my neck AND cover my toes, even when I'm stretched out.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #107 on: February 08, 2012, 02:16:34 PM »
drebay wrote:

"All I do is put my coat on backwards.  No hood on my coat.  I keep it next to me most of the time anyway."

None of my coats are anywhere near long enough to cover my feet if I used them like this.  I'd think that if it was long enough to do that, it would drag behind you when you wore it normally.  Of course, I'm very tall so a Snuggie doesn't reach my feet either, but my wife doesn't have that problem.

Virg

DoubleTrouble

« Reply #108 on: February 18, 2012, 12:10:46 AM »
Fake pets (i.e., dolls which look like sleeping cats or puppies). They have a motion unit so they appear to breathe. Only $35.99.

Oh my, I hate those as they freak me out. Even worse are the large dolls that are sometimes put in Alzheimer's wards. I was helping to set up an assisted living facility at night & wandered into the Alzheimer ward at 2 AM. Saw what looked like a little kid standing in the corner & freaked out since there was just me & one other person in the building at the time. Once the other employee calmed me down & explained the reason for the dolls (it's called doll therapy) I was OK but it was just not what I needed to see at 2 AM in a darkened building! Of course I refused to go back in that ward the rest of the time I worked there unless it was daytime ;)

BarensMom

« Reply #109 on: February 18, 2012, 03:02:16 PM »
Doll therapy?

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #110 on: February 18, 2012, 03:25:02 PM »
Lowspark, you beat me to it - the classic SNL commercial advertising a razor with 3 blades. It was seen as hysterically ridiculous. SNL also predicted the IPad - but a completely different sort of pad, if you get my drift.

I find many kitchen gadgets useless - a good knife will do most things. Other dumb things - paper cup dispensers for household bathrooms - waste much? , 'lip stencils' - just fill in with lipstick for a perfect look! (Except that, surely, everyone's lips are different?) Most items on infomercials - the Snuggy and the Slanket.  Really?  :o

I made myself a caftan out of fleece that consisted of two pieces of fleece sewed together with a head hole and arm slots, and hemmed those holes and the bottom.  If I need an extra blanket I just lay it out flat.  Works way better than a Snuggy or a Slanket. 

Optimoose Prime

« Reply #111 on: February 18, 2012, 07:01:38 PM »
And just so I am not straying too far off topic here, my favorite useless product ever was the flowbee. You put an attachment on the end of yur vacuum hose, and started vacuuming around your head, and the attachment would cut your hair as it was being sucked up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3G1cwqYkO4

"just bounce it all over your head!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AioVDsXidh0

It will suck your will to live!

Today at the thrift store I saw knee-length wool twill pants. Too warm for capri pants season, too short for woolen pants season.

They also used to be hiking or skiing pants.  Someone was trying to sell a whole vintage suit at the ski swap this year.

kckgirl

« Reply #112 on: February 18, 2012, 07:16:18 PM »
And just so I am not straying too far off topic here, my favorite useless product ever was the flowbee. You put an attachment on the end of yur vacuum hose, and started vacuuming around your head, and the attachment would cut your hair as it was being sucked up.

I have had a flowbee since May 2001. Absolutely not useless. Before I bought it I asked on a message board if people liked it. I got so many positive responses that I ordered it and never looked back. In the almost 11 years since I got it, I have never gotten a haircut anywhere but home, I cut my hair every 4-6 weeks, and get compliments on my hair really often.

One of the ladies on the message board said she liked it so much after having owned it for ten years that, if it broke, she'd immediately buy another one. Now that I've had mine that long, I can say I completely agree. It's the best $40 I ever spent!
Maryland

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #113 on: February 18, 2012, 11:05:45 PM »
Fake pets (i.e., dolls which look like sleeping cats or puppies). They have a motion unit so they appear to breathe. Only $35.99.

Oh my, I hate those as they freak me out. Even worse are the large dolls that are sometimes put in Alzheimer's wards. I was helping to set up an assisted living facility at night & wandered into the Alzheimer ward at 2 AM. Saw what looked like a little kid standing in the corner & freaked out since there was just me & one other person in the building at the time. Once the other employee calmed me down & explained the reason for the dolls (it's called doll therapy) I was OK but it was just not what I needed to see at 2 AM in a darkened building! Of course I refused to go back in that ward the rest of the time I worked there unless it was daytime ;)
Doll therapy?

I searched for it and was successful.

http://www.best-alzheimers-products.com/doll-therapy-for-alzheimers-disease.html

It sounded pretty odd, but I remember that after I had my surgery last summer and was pretty drugged up at night, I slept with a 10" stuffed bison and a small plastic hippopotomus from a mobile. During the day I was lucid and 'normal', but still talked to these guys sometimes. When I was off the drugs and put them away where they belong, I thanked them. Now I think maybe I should have looked for the big soft bunny that is an Easter decoration instead.

I've never been diagnosed with any dementia ( that I know of  :D) and seem fine now. I knew I was silly, but it really did make me feel better. I believe something inanimate to love may really truly help some people (even with a real husband around taking care of me).

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #114 on: February 19, 2012, 01:47:08 AM »
When I first met my DH he had this weird useless chopping thing.  I think it was called a slapchop.  I never understood why anyone would want to use it.

It was only big enough to chop about a quarter of an onion at a time, the chops were not uniform, you really have to have a lot of hand strength to get it all the way though whatever you were chopping and it was a pain to clean.  So much easier to use a knife.

I find all the kitchen gadgets for eggs to be just bizarre.  Egg separator? Egg slicer?
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Fleur-de-Lis

• Dum Vivimus, Vivamus!
« Reply #115 on: February 19, 2012, 10:19:48 AM »
I actually have an egg/mushroom slicer. I never learned actual "slicing and dicing" - Robert Irvine would have a field day with my knife skills.

The one time in the past three years that I made egg salad, though, I didn't know I had an egg sliver so just used a fork to mash the eggs. But I can see an egg slicer if one wanted egg slices for a garnish. I wonder if it would work for strawberries, too. :)
   Finally we shall place the Sun himself at the center of the Universe.

duhrich

« Reply #116 on: February 19, 2012, 12:16:22 PM »
I actually have an egg/mushroom slicer. I never learned actual "slicing and dicing" - Robert Irvine would have a field day with my knife skills.

The one time in the past three years that I made egg salad, though, I didn't know I had an egg sliver so just used a fork to mash the eggs. But I can see an egg slicer if one wanted egg slices for a garnish. I wonder if it would work for strawberries, too. :)

It does ;D  I have one and use it when I'm making egg salad.  Then I take it out and cut the other direction to have cubed eggs for the salad.  It's just a time saver, plus it's uniform.

I also used it for strawberries when I had a bunch to slice up for jam - again, uniform slices and it's quicker than doing all the cutting myself.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #117 on: February 19, 2012, 12:18:59 PM »
 The best use I've found for my egg slicer so far is to make Tetris pieces for bracelets: http://www.etsy.com/listing/88813458/tetris-bracelet

It makes nice even squares and then I can do the rest with a fillet knife  ;D  I do like egg salad, but I rarely have the patience to boil eggs first when I'm in the mood for a sandwich anyway!

EveLGenius

« Reply #118 on: February 19, 2012, 05:42:42 PM »
I was originally going to say "Glitter hoof polish for horses," because, seriously?

Then I got this month's Horse Illustrated, and on the back cover is a full-page ad for riding gloves that have hardware that will connect you to your cell phone, so that you can text, Twitter, check voicemail and make cell calls through your gloves, while you're riding.

Um, yeah.  When you're sitting on a thousand pounds of self-directed guided muscle, which by the way has the emotional maturity of a 3-year-old human and a complete fear of umbrellas, mylar balloons, rabbits, and people in blue shirts who are walking the fenceline, you should totally be concentrating on your Twitter account.

Micah

« Reply #119 on: February 19, 2012, 06:08:59 PM »
I was originally going to say "Glitter hoof polish for horses," because, seriously?

Then I got this month's Horse Illustrated, and on the back cover is a full-page ad for riding gloves that have hardware that will connect you to your cell phone, so that you can text, Twitter, check voicemail and make cell calls through your gloves, while you're riding.

Um, yeah.  When you're sitting on a thousand pounds of self-directed guided muscle, which by the way has the emotional maturity of a 3-year-old human and a complete fear of umbrellas, mylar balloons, rabbits, and people in blue shirts who are walking the fenceline, you should totally be concentrating on your Twitter account.

Glitter hoof polish is for little girls  ;D Seriously, there's a little girl at my Pony Club who uses it. She's about eight shows competatively, horse of the year, junior rider champion, etc, and is a complete pink princess ( I don't mean that in a bad way). Her pony is black and named Alice in Wonderland. Her saddle cloth is hot pink, her reins have pink accents, she has a pink ribbon browband and yes, glitter hoof polish. It's adorable. EVERY SINGLE piece of her ordinary, muck around gear is hot pink. Brushes, jodphurs, lead rope, halter, pony's rug, etc.

And yeah, those gloves, not so much. My horse doesn't fear the things you mentioned but she does have an extreme aversion to wheely bins, letter boxes and echidnas.
Mulder: "So...Lunch?"
Scully: "Mulder, toads just fell from the sky!"
Mulder: "Maybe their parachutes didn't open."