Author Topic: Who came up with this useless product?  (Read 68008 times)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: Who came up with this useless product?
« Reply #405 on: August 16, 2012, 01:58:33 PM »
Under the 'Yeah, Don't Do That' heading...

The first time I tried Smooth Away, I tried it on my arm pits.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Seraphia

• Unabashed cat person
« Reply #406 on: August 16, 2012, 02:33:05 PM »
Under the 'Yeah, Don't Do That' heading...

The first time I tried Smooth Away, I tried it on my arm pits.

OUCH! That made me literally flinch.

We sold those while I worked at the beauty supply store. I wasn't even remotely tempted by them after the very first person to buy them brought them back, complaining about how raw it made her skin.  We hung it with the Ped-Eggs, which, while I know some people swear by them, I could never see the point of either.
Ancora Imparo - I am still learning

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #407 on: August 16, 2012, 02:43:59 PM »
There are two products that immediately spring to mind, and I apologize if they were mentioned before and I missed it while skimming through posts.  Both of these were advertised on TV, and both of these were bought by gullible little me at our local Walmart.

The "Quick Chop", the "fast easy way to chop mince slice and dice with just a tap".  I bought this out of curiosity and with no real expectations, and it's a good thing that I wasn't expecting much.  It worked all right the first time, but it was a pain to clean and it marked up the cutting board.  After that, the blades went dull, and there is no way to sharpen them.

"Smooth Away", a buffer for unwanted face/body hair.  It worked, yes.  It buffed away the hair...after being used long enough to make the skin red-raw.  So, it didn't work very well, and it wasn't really worth it.  Again, no expectations, just curiosity.

The "as seen on TV" aisle is a source of amusement these days.  ;D  "The "Pasta Boat"?  Really?  Yeah, I think I'll just stick with our good pot and a colander, thanks."

Don't give up on the "Quick Chop"!  I, too, bought one from Wal-Mart after having used my mother's since I was about 8.  My aunt got her one from Pampered Chef way back then (hehheh that was only 16 years ago...) and it still works perfectly today!  The Pampered Chef one is so easy to clean; it even comes apart around the blades so you can get those clean, too.  It's just that the Wal-Mart brand one is cheap and chintzy.  Spend a little bit more money for a higher quality one and you'll be happy.  I can't promise that, but I just used my mom's yesterday to make salad and it worked just like knew; I threw out mine about a week after having it.

I have the Pampered Chef version as well, and just love it. It works well, satisfies your inner Hulk (I like to yell "Die, cabbage, DIE!"), and is easy to clean. It's extremely sturdy, too. I can see where a "As Seen On TV" cheapo version would be horrible.
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult);  Balrog, Rooney, Rascal, Rocket (M)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #408 on: August 16, 2012, 03:06:47 PM »
I always wondered why the "As Seen on TV" ads always trumpet "Not available in stores! You can only get yours by calling 1-800-CHE-ATME!!"  Because if this gadget is the greatest thing since sliced bread and sock monkeys, why ISN'T it sold in stores?  Wouldn't they make more money that way?

Of course we all know that they aren't available in stores because they're so cheaply made that they fall apart after one use. So any ad for gadgetry that is available ONLY WITH THIS TV OFFER!!!! doesn't come into my house any more.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

alkira6

« Reply #409 on: August 16, 2012, 03:07:17 PM »
I tried the ped egg and just shredded my heels. I was so rough that I had to tweeze carpet fibers from my feet.

I have reconciled myself to the fact that I have to dip my hooves in acid every couple of weeks to keep them from being completely horrible. (yes, acid. it's a gel that you brush on and rinse off after 2-5 minutes, depending on your damage)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #410 on: August 16, 2012, 03:27:24 PM »
I tried the ped egg and just shredded my heels. I was so rough that I had to tweeze carpet fibers from my feet.

I have reconciled myself to the fact that I have to dip my hooves in acid every couple of weeks to keep them from being completely horrible. (yes, acid. it's a gel that you brush on and rinse off after 2-5 minutes, depending on your damage)

And I love mine!  Its the only thing that work on my lizard feet.  When I use it, of course.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #411 on: August 16, 2012, 04:36:59 PM »
Just found this box in the back of my pantry... Eggies.

https://www.geteggiestv.com/

My DH brought this home one day after a time when we seemed to be eating lots of boiled eggs.  Because I'm lazy, all I could see was that it was something else to wash.  I can throw shells away.  But after one time trying it, he learned it doesn't work. 

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #412 on: August 16, 2012, 05:49:38 PM »
It's so easy to let eggs sit on the counter for a day or two, boil them, blast them in ice water, roll them to break the shells, then just rip the shells off that I don't understand those at all. I'm sure it would take me longer to try to break each egg with the yolk intact.

I boil 18 at a time (I pickle them, so they last for weeks), so there is the problem of storage for those plastic shell things.

Sheila Take a Bow

• Formerly arija but I felt like a name change.
« Reply #413 on: August 16, 2012, 05:59:29 PM »
Just found this box in the back of my pantry... Eggies.

https://www.geteggiestv.com/

My DH brought this home one day after a time when we seemed to be eating lots of boiled eggs.  Because I'm lazy, all I could see was that it was something else to wash.  I can throw shells away.  But after one time trying it, he learned it doesn't work.

A friend used to have those until she started boiling some eggs and forgot the pot was on the stove.  All the water boiled out and she was left with a giant melted mess.  Now all I can think of when I see Eggies is what they look like when they're melted.

Kendo_Bunny

• I'm inquisitive!
« Reply #414 on: August 16, 2012, 08:57:15 PM »
Babycakes has recently come out with a pancake maker. My only question is why? Is there really a much simpler food item than pancakes in these days of Bisquick?

It says you can make your pancakes in mere minutes, but you could do that anyway with a regular pan.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #415 on: August 16, 2012, 09:05:01 PM »
That  ranks right up there with the iced tea maker in degree of useless.

Kendo_Bunny

• I'm inquisitive!
« Reply #416 on: August 16, 2012, 09:24:14 PM »
My e-mail to Unitasker Wednesday:

I work at Department Store, and I was stopped short by this ridiculous item as I walked through our housewares department the other day. It's not on the website, nor is it on any other website but eBay, presumably because the company is far too embarrassed to be offering it online. I present the Babycakes Brand Pancake Maker: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BABYCAKES-PANCAKE-MAKER-NEW-RELEASE-ITEM-/230837363045#ht_500wt_1128

It makes two whole silver dollar pancakes in just minutes! Just like a real pan! The box also states it may be used for eggs, but I'm sure endless uses could be thought up for something that can cook two palm-sized amounts of semi-liquids into solids in a few minutes. It also comes equipped with a hinge, which you won't find in any of your old-fashioned pans. Plus, it's yellow, and I personally find it vaguely resembles a cartoon iguana. Really, I can hardly think of any reasons not to buy this ingenious product.

Cheers from Virginia,

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #417 on: August 16, 2012, 09:29:21 PM »
Two?  TWO?!?  I make six at a time on my ordinary griddle, and then six more, for just the two of us.  And back when we had the kids living at home, a dozen more. 

The only single-use small kitchen appliance that I own is the toaster.
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #418 on: August 16, 2012, 10:05:11 PM »
Ooh ooh, I got to use one today!  Had to borrow some scissors while at a friend's house today and she pointed out that the scissors had a laser!  (In the handle pointed forward.)  To help you cut a straight line!  How awesome!  Except when you cut with scissors, you move the handle up and down, which means the laser bobs forward and backward and isn't any use whatsoever in helping you aim your cut.

dawnfire

« Reply #419 on: August 16, 2012, 11:58:37 PM »

And I love mine!  Its the only thing that work on my lizard feet.  When I use it, of course.

I love mine too.