Author Topic: Who came up with this useless product?  (Read 68419 times)

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
Re: Who came up with this useless product?
« Reply #435 on: August 17, 2012, 07:04:21 PM »
Have you tried an electric kettle, Magdalena? I love mine!

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #436 on: August 17, 2012, 07:16:07 PM »
Have you tried an electric kettle, Magdalena? I love mine!

No, Dark Boyfriend brought the ice tea maker into the relationship (that just sounds funny) because he's just as lazy as I am so I've only ever used it.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #437 on: August 17, 2012, 09:56:46 PM »
Back again, with my tea recipe:

The equivalent of 4 tea bags in a pint canning jar 1/2 filled with water. Microwave 1 1/2 minutes (2 in my old microwave). Let it sit for 4 min to 12 hours. The staples on the tea bags are not large enough to spark.

Pour that tea concentrate into a 1/2 gallon container, add water to fill.

I use 2 black tea bags and 2 Constant Comment bags. It makes me happy. If I don't have Constant Comment, I add 1/2 lemon juiced.

No counter space, no boiling that I have to supervise, and it's ready when I am.

I hate sweet tea, but the sugar can be added at step 3.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
« Reply #438 on: August 18, 2012, 01:51:01 AM »
Back again, with my tea recipe:

The equivalent of 4 tea bags in a pint canning jar 1/2 filled with water. Microwave 1 1/2 minutes (2 in my old microwave). Let it sit for 4 min to 12 hours. The staples on the tea bags are not large enough to spark.

Pour that tea concentrate into a 1/2 gallon container, add water to fill.

I use 2 black tea bags and 2 Constant Comment bags. It makes me happy. If I don't have Constant Comment, I add 1/2 lemon juiced.

No counter space, no boiling that I have to supervise, and it's ready when I am.

I hate sweet tea, but the sugar can be added at step 3.

That's still a lot more planning than "Pouch in, water in, I go away".  I have to measure out the equivalent of 4 tea bags, I have to press the buttons on the microwave, I have to come back when the microwave is done, I have to pour the concentrate into something else, and add water to that, too.  I'm not saying your way is difficult, but I am saying that an ice tea maker is not a useless product.  Pouch in, water in, done is a lot simpler, IMO.  Maybe not enough simpler for you to justify an ice tea maker, but enough for me to.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #439 on: August 18, 2012, 08:08:49 AM »

And just so I am not straying too far off topic here, my favorite useless product ever was the flowbee. You put an attachment on the end of yur vacuum hose, and started vacuuming around your head, and the attachment would cut your hair as it was being sucked up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3G1cwqYkO4

"just bounce it all over your head!"

I'm sorry, right now all that's going through my head is the part of Wayne's World when the guy comes on with the "Suck Cut."  He demonstrates it's use on Garth, saying "As you can see, it sucks as it cuts!"

That someone actually made one is just too funny.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Lynnv

« Reply #440 on: August 18, 2012, 09:46:01 AM »
That's still a lot more planning than "Pouch in, water in, I go away".  I have to measure out the equivalent of 4 tea bags, I have to press the buttons on the microwave, I have to come back when the microwave is done, I have to pour the concentrate into something else, and add water to that, too.  I'm not saying your way is difficult, but I am saying that an ice tea maker is not a useless product.  Pouch in, water in, done is a lot simpler, IMO.  Maybe not enough simpler for you to justify an ice tea maker, but enough for me to.

My mom feels that way about hers.  She and her DH drink a LOT of iced tea and they love their iced tea maker in the way that some people love their coffee machines.  It wouldn't make sense for me since I seldom drink iced tea, but they use it almost daily.
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #441 on: August 18, 2012, 10:16:11 AM »

My mom feels that way about hers.  She and her DH drink a LOT of iced tea and they love their iced tea maker in the way that some people love their coffee machines.  It wouldn't make sense for me since I seldom drink iced tea, but they use it almost daily.

I found it useful, too.  I don't drink tea, and my boyfriend-at-the-time did.  It was so much easier to set the machine up, press the button, then have correctly made sweet iced tea sometime later.  Making iced tea without the machine isn't hard, but having the machine was nice.

lowspark

« Reply #442 on: August 20, 2012, 10:07:45 AM »
I used to have an Iced Tea Maker and loved it. I agree - no muss no fuss. But when I remodeled my kitchen, I installed a hot water dispenser so now I use that instead. Hot water and bags into pitcher. Let stand 5 minutes. Remove bags, add ice. No waiting for the water to boil so it's very convenient. I love that hot water dispenser. It's great for any instant hot drink or food such as oatmeal. But I agree, the iced tea maker was perfect for my purposes.

The pancake maker is $43 on ebay! Wow. That's a lot of money for something that makes two itty bitty pancakes at a time.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #443 on: August 20, 2012, 02:03:20 PM »
I used to have an Iced Tea Maker and loved it. I agree - no muss no fuss. But when I remodeled my kitchen, I installed a hot water dispenser so now I use that instead. Hot water and bags into pitcher. Let stand 5 minutes. Remove bags, add ice. No waiting for the water to boil so it's very convenient. I love that hot water dispenser. It's great for any instant hot drink or food such as oatmeal. But I agree, the iced tea maker was perfect for my purposes.

My parents have a hot water dispenser too, and I love it! I want one in my dream kitchen. :)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #444 on: July 05, 2013, 06:44:30 PM »
I had to revive this topic since seeing a commercial for the "squatty potty" Apparently its some plastic bench thingy you put your feet on, to simulate a more natural "squatting" position while you do your business. while I don't doubt perhaps that position works, someone actually came up with a product for it? I was cracking up.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
« Reply #445 on: July 05, 2013, 06:59:28 PM »
I had to revive this topic since seeing a commercial for the "squatty potty" Apparently its some plastic bench thingy you put your feet on, to simulate a more natural "squatting" position while you do your business. while I don't doubt perhaps that position works, someone actually came up with a product for it? I was cracking up.

I bought a small stool (I call it my stool stool), I couldn't imagine there was actually a product.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #446 on: July 05, 2013, 08:25:44 PM »

I bought a small stool (I call it my stool stool), I couldn't imagine there was actually a product.

I guess it can be lumped in with all the other "useless" products that you don't need, and can use something else for. Like many kitchen gadgets. The name made me giggle, and i wondered why you couldn't simply use something else.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #447 on: July 05, 2013, 09:44:03 PM »
Well, if you look at it, you'll realize that you can keep it in permanent position tucked up next to the potty, and it won't take up a lot of space.

And its shape is such that it puts the foot supports to the side, which is probably more effective and which an ordinary stool wouldn't do.

http://www.squattypotty.com/Squatty-Ecco-p/sp-ecco.htm?gclid=CICGyNjembgCFcWZ4AodJkQAJQ

And the people who don't want to use it can just ignore it--it won't really be in their way.

So, if someone needed or very much wanted it, this might be worth the money because the form factor is both effective and logistically easy.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #448 on: July 06, 2013, 12:32:08 AM »

I guess it can be lumped in with all the other "useless" products that you don't need, and can use something else for. Like many kitchen gadgets. The name made me giggle, and i wondered why you couldn't simply use something else.

It's not exactly a new product either.  I remember an elderly relative that had a darn near identical one 20+ years ago.  The only differences I can see is this one is plastic instead of wood and it has an amuzing name.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
« Reply #449 on: July 06, 2013, 06:39:41 AM »
Yeah, but I don't just use my stool stool for drooling; it doubles as an actual stool, too. Looking at the price of the squatty potty, I'll take my $10 stool stool any day.