News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 13, 2017, 08:54:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Who came up with this useless product?  (Read 162977 times)

KenveeB

Re: Who came up with this useless product?
« Reply #435 on: August 20, 2012, 01:03:20 PM »
I used to have an Iced Tea Maker and loved it. I agree - no muss no fuss. But when I remodeled my kitchen, I installed a hot water dispenser so now I use that instead. Hot water and bags into pitcher. Let stand 5 minutes. Remove bags, add ice. No waiting for the water to boil so it's very convenient. I love that hot water dispenser. It's great for any instant hot drink or food such as oatmeal. But I agree, the iced tea maker was perfect for my purposes.

My parents have a hot water dispenser too, and I love it! I want one in my dream kitchen. :)

siamesecat2965

« Reply #436 on: July 05, 2013, 05:44:30 PM »
I had to revive this topic since seeing a commercial for the "squatty potty" Apparently its some plastic bench thingy you put your feet on, to simulate a more natural "squatting" position while you do your business. while I don't doubt perhaps that position works, someone actually came up with a product for it? I was cracking up.

Mental Magpie

« Reply #437 on: July 05, 2013, 05:59:28 PM »
I had to revive this topic since seeing a commercial for the "squatty potty" Apparently its some plastic bench thingy you put your feet on, to simulate a more natural "squatting" position while you do your business. while I don't doubt perhaps that position works, someone actually came up with a product for it? I was cracking up.

I bought a small stool (I call it my stool stool), I couldn't imagine there was actually a product.

siamesecat2965

« Reply #438 on: July 05, 2013, 07:25:44 PM »

I bought a small stool (I call it my stool stool), I couldn't imagine there was actually a product.

I guess it can be lumped in with all the other "useless" products that you don't need, and can use something else for. Like many kitchen gadgets. The name made me giggle, and i wondered why you couldn't simply use something else.

TootsNYC

« Reply #439 on: July 05, 2013, 08:44:03 PM »
Well, if you look at it, you'll realize that you can keep it in permanent position tucked up next to the potty, and it won't take up a lot of space.

And its shape is such that it puts the foot supports to the side, which is probably more effective and which an ordinary stool wouldn't do.

http://www.squattypotty.com/Squatty-Ecco-p/sp-ecco.htm?gclid=CICGyNjembgCFcWZ4AodJkQAJQ

And the people who don't want to use it can just ignore it--it won't really be in their way.

So, if someone needed or very much wanted it, this might be worth the money because the form factor is both effective and logistically easy.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #440 on: July 05, 2013, 11:32:08 PM »

I guess it can be lumped in with all the other "useless" products that you don't need, and can use something else for. Like many kitchen gadgets. The name made me giggle, and i wondered why you couldn't simply use something else.

It's not exactly a new product either.  I remember an elderly relative that had a darn near identical one 20+ years ago.  The only differences I can see is this one is plastic instead of wood and it has an amuzing name.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Mental Magpie

« Reply #441 on: July 06, 2013, 05:39:41 AM »
Yeah, but I don't just use my stool stool for drooling; it doubles as an actual stool, too. Looking at the price of the squatty potty, I'll take my $10 stool stool any day.

Slartibartfast

• Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #442 on: July 06, 2013, 10:01:27 AM »
Plenty of places around the world, squatting over a hole in the ground is the norm.  I can see that being an adaptive tool for someone who is new to sitting-style toilets and prefers the old way.

jpcher

« Reply #443 on: July 06, 2013, 12:30:15 PM »
I can see that product being very handy when potty-training young ones. ;D

mbbored

• Budget Grad Student
« Reply #444 on: July 06, 2013, 03:11:34 PM »
The position is apparently better for your back and causes less straining.

JustCallMePat

« Reply #445 on: July 13, 2013, 08:02:34 PM »
Plenty of places around the world, squatting over a hole in the ground is the norm.  I can see that being an adaptive tool for someone who is new to sitting-style toilets and prefers the old way.

On a job long ago, there was a mysterious series of very unsightly messes left in the rest room.  Apparently an intern from overseas, unfamiliar with American plumbing fixtures, tried to use the toilet like a squat by climbing up on top.  Hence the resulting mess. The perpetrator was found when one foot slipped and she was hurt in the fall and had to call for help.

The most foul place I've ever been was to an airport rest room (if it could be called that) in Odessa, Ukraine.  That's where I first saw such the horrific sight of a poorly maintained squat.

OK, back to the topic...  Useless products, right?

Mental Magpie

« Reply #446 on: July 13, 2013, 09:54:53 PM »
The Eagle and my mom saw a commercial for Perfect Polly...a fake parrot that makes real bird noises!  You don't have to worry about the mess of a real bird but can get their beautiful songs anyway!  It's lifelike, too, what with a twitching tail and rotating head!

Nikko-chan

« Reply #447 on: July 13, 2013, 10:01:46 PM »
The Eagle and my mom saw a commercial for Perfect Polly...a fake parrot that makes real bird noises!  You don't have to worry about the mess of a real bird but can get their beautiful songs anyway!  It's lifelike, too, what with a twitching tail and rotating head!

That was on an episode of Worlds Dumbest!

whatsanenigma

« Reply #448 on: July 14, 2013, 11:19:44 AM »

That commercial is seriously creepy!  The first time I saw it, I honestly thought it was a joke commercial until the end with ordering information came up.

If it were just being sold as a toy, I wouldn't mind.  But they are making it out to be literally a substitute for a live bird.  It's like, real birds are so messy, so bond emotionally with our electronic one instead!

And all of a sudden I am thinking of the book "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?".

Iris

« Reply #449 on: July 14, 2013, 04:34:11 PM »

That commercial is seriously creepy!  The first time I saw it, I honestly thought it was a joke commercial until the end with ordering information came up.

If it were just being sold as a toy, I wouldn't mind.  But they are making it out to be literally a substitute for a live bird.  It's like, real birds are so messy, so bond emotionally with our electronic one instead!

And all of a sudden I am thinking of the book "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?".

An actual robot bird would be so cool. I'd buy one in 0.4 seconds. One that only moves its head and twitches its tail though? Boooooor-ring.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.