Author Topic: Who came up with this useless product?  (Read 65209 times)

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
Re: Who came up with this useless product?
« Reply #450 on: July 06, 2013, 11:01:27 AM »
Plenty of places around the world, squatting over a hole in the ground is the norm.  I can see that being an adaptive tool for someone who is new to sitting-style toilets and prefers the old way.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #451 on: July 06, 2013, 01:30:15 PM »
I can see that product being very handy when potty-training young ones. ;D

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #452 on: July 06, 2013, 04:11:34 PM »
The position is apparently better for your back and causes less straining.

JustCallMePat

« Reply #453 on: July 13, 2013, 09:02:34 PM »
Plenty of places around the world, squatting over a hole in the ground is the norm.  I can see that being an adaptive tool for someone who is new to sitting-style toilets and prefers the old way.

On a job long ago, there was a mysterious series of very unsightly messes left in the rest room.  Apparently an intern from overseas, unfamiliar with American plumbing fixtures, tried to use the toilet like a squat by climbing up on top.  Hence the resulting mess. The perpetrator was found when one foot slipped and she was hurt in the fall and had to call for help.

The most foul place I've ever been was to an airport rest room (if it could be called that) in Odessa, Ukraine.  That's where I first saw such the horrific sight of a poorly maintained squat.

OK, back to the topic...  Useless products, right?

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #454 on: July 13, 2013, 10:54:53 PM »
The Eagle and my mom saw a commercial for Perfect Polly...a fake parrot that makes real bird noises!  You don't have to worry about the mess of a real bird but can get their beautiful songs anyway!  It's lifelike, too, what with a twitching tail and rotating head!
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #455 on: July 13, 2013, 11:01:46 PM »
The Eagle and my mom saw a commercial for Perfect Polly...a fake parrot that makes real bird noises!  You don't have to worry about the mess of a real bird but can get their beautiful songs anyway!  It's lifelike, too, what with a twitching tail and rotating head!

That was on an episode of Worlds Dumbest!

whatsanenigma

« Reply #456 on: July 14, 2013, 12:19:44 PM »

That commercial is seriously creepy!  The first time I saw it, I honestly thought it was a joke commercial until the end with ordering information came up.

If it were just being sold as a toy, I wouldn't mind.  But they are making it out to be literally a substitute for a live bird.  It's like, real birds are so messy, so bond emotionally with our electronic one instead!

And all of a sudden I am thinking of the book "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?".

Iris

« Reply #457 on: July 14, 2013, 05:34:11 PM »

That commercial is seriously creepy!  The first time I saw it, I honestly thought it was a joke commercial until the end with ordering information came up.

If it were just being sold as a toy, I wouldn't mind.  But they are making it out to be literally a substitute for a live bird.  It's like, real birds are so messy, so bond emotionally with our electronic one instead!

And all of a sudden I am thinking of the book "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?".

An actual robot bird would be so cool. I'd buy one in 0.4 seconds. One that only moves its head and twitches its tail though? Boooooor-ring.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

magicdomino

« Reply #458 on: July 14, 2013, 06:07:08 PM »

Suitably modified, Not-So-Pretty Polly makes an excellent addition to your haunted pirate scene for Halloween.  Seriously, though, I've seen photos of a mechanical macaw modified with latex barnacles and rib bones, then given a dark wash to dull the remaining plush "feathers."  Just the thing to perch on a pirate skeleton's shoulder.

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #459 on: July 15, 2013, 08:20:05 AM »

DP and I saw this, and both nearly fell out of bed laughing.

I mean, yeah, we bought one of those mechanical fake goldfish for my 99 year old great grandmother. She was fully aware it was fake, but it gave her something to watch (not unlike a lava lamp). This thing? Not even.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #460 on: July 15, 2013, 09:01:58 AM »
And since perfect polly was on worlds dumbest.... there are other inventions i remember from there too... what about the like thing you go to the bathroom in and then take it with you? That was awful! I was like "Dude, if you have to go to the bathroom that bad, find a restroom!

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #461 on: July 15, 2013, 09:05:51 AM »
And since perfect polly was on worlds dumbest.... there are other inventions i remember from there too... what about the like thing you go to the bathroom in and then take it with you? That was awful! I was like "Dude, if you have to go to the bathroom that bad, find a restroom!

What product was that?  Not saying the product *isn't* useless, but there can be times/places when there is no restroom (or even a convenient tree) immediately available.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #462 on: July 15, 2013, 09:09:15 AM »

DP and I saw this, and both nearly fell out of bed laughing.

I mean, yeah, we bought one of those mechanical fake goldfish for my 99 year old great grandmother. She was fully aware it was fake, but it gave her something to watch (not unlike a lava lamp). This thing? Not even.

Picture a nice patio set up like a tropical bar. The natural plants are North American woods, of course, but the music and other decorations are tropical. It's cocktail hour. That bird is part of the decorations, like the travel poster or the patio lights. The bird is just sitting there, and 2 drinks into the party, the host turns it on!

It does have it's place. Not my place, but it was fun!

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #463 on: July 15, 2013, 09:49:29 AM »

Two words: Billy Bass
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Nikko-chan

« Reply #464 on: July 15, 2013, 11:17:26 AM »

What product was that?  Not saying the product *isn't* useless, but there can be times/places when there is no restroom (or even a convenient tree) immediately available.

I can't even remember but I think it was a catheter or something for when you didn't want to get up to go to the bathroom >.<