Author Topic: Who came up with this useless product?  (Read 68026 times)

lowspark

Re: Who came up with this useless product?
« Reply #465 on: July 15, 2013, 11:43:05 AM »

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #466 on: July 16, 2013, 05:58:21 PM »
The Eagle and my mom saw a commercial for Perfect Polly...a fake parrot that makes real bird noises!  You don't have to worry about the mess of a real bird but can get their beautiful songs anyway!  It's lifelike, too, what with a twitching tail and rotating head!

Two words: Billy Bass

I LOVED my Billy Bass! DDs gave it to me for Mother's day one year (the way LDH told the story was that they saw it and just had to get it for me . . . I'm really undecided as to how much influence LDH had on them, though ;) )

And it certainly was not useless! It gave me a lot of joy!

Especially with the motion detector. I set it up in my guest bathroom whenever we had big parties . . . talk about surprise-the-guests-fun! ;D

(yeah, I know I have a weird streak in me.)

magicdomino

« Reply #467 on: July 17, 2013, 10:13:10 AM »

Especially with the motion detector. I set it up in my guest bathroom whenever we had big parties . . . talk about surprise-the-guests-fun! ;D

(yeah, I know I have a weird streak in me.)

When I first read this, I thought it said guest bedroom.  Good way to catch the nosy, as well as guests overcome with irresistable lust.   :D

diesel_darlin

« Reply #468 on: July 18, 2013, 08:46:22 PM »
My STBX husband got me a deer head that sang "Sweet Home Alabama". His antlers got broken in the process of moving, so I threw him away.  :( I wanted a Billy Bass so bad when they came out!  ;D

dawnfire

« Reply #469 on: July 18, 2013, 09:00:53 PM »
I always like the mounted lobster that sang "rock lobster"

snowfire

« Reply #470 on: July 19, 2013, 12:39:07 AM »
We got a friend of ours a singing & dancing gopher.  >:D He loved it. 

Miss Understood

« Reply #471 on: July 19, 2013, 01:27:45 AM »
Plenty of places around the world, squatting over a hole in the ground is the norm.  I can see that being an adaptive tool for someone who is new to sitting-style toilets and prefers the old way.

On a job long ago, there was a mysterious series of very unsightly messes left in the rest room.  Apparently an intern from overseas, unfamiliar with American plumbing fixtures, tried to use the toilet like a squat by climbing up on top.  Hence the resulting mess. The perpetrator was found when one foot slipped and she was hurt in the fall and had to call for help.

The most foul place I've ever been was to an airport rest room (if it could be called that) in Odessa, Ukraine.  That's where I first saw such the horrific sight of a poorly maintained squat.

OK, back to the topic...  Useless products, right?

I'm sorry to continue the derail - but I am genuinely curious about this.  I have traveled to cities where the "squat - there's the hole" is the way people go to the bathroom.  I was 20 at the time and pretty fit.  What would an American middle-aged woman do in such a situation?  There is no way I could do that now (I mean I can squat, but I can't always get back up without an assist from my hand, which I wouldn't want to put down on such a floor).

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #472 on: July 19, 2013, 12:40:07 PM »
Also, how do you keep your pants clean when you pull them down?
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult);  Balrog, Rooney, Rascal, Rocket (M)

cwm

« Reply #473 on: July 19, 2013, 01:25:58 PM »
Ladies and gentlemen, may I present to you the Hutzler 571 Banana Slicer?

http://www.amazon.com/Hutzler-571-Banana-Slicer/dp/B0047E0EII

From the website:
Faster, safer than using a knife
Great for cereal
Plastic, dishwasher safe
Slice your banana with one quick motion
Kids love slicing their own bananas

If you do nothing else the rest of the month, go read the comments on that item. Amazon has nearly 4300 comments, and most of them are quite hilarious!

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #474 on: July 19, 2013, 01:38:00 PM »
Plenty of places around the world, squatting over a hole in the ground is the norm.  I can see that being an adaptive tool for someone who is new to sitting-style toilets and prefers the old way.

On a job long ago, there was a mysterious series of very unsightly messes left in the rest room.  Apparently an intern from overseas, unfamiliar with American plumbing fixtures, tried to use the toilet like a squat by climbing up on top.  Hence the resulting mess. The perpetrator was found when one foot slipped and she was hurt in the fall and had to call for help.

The most foul place I've ever been was to an airport rest room (if it could be called that) in Odessa, Ukraine.  That's where I first saw such the horrific sight of a poorly maintained squat.

I'm sorry to continue the derail - but I am genuinely curious about this.  I have traveled to cities where the "squat - there's the hole" is the way people go to the bathroom.  I was 20 at the time and pretty fit.  What would an American middle-aged woman do in such a situation?  There is no way I could do that now (I mean I can squat, but I can't always get back up without an assist from my hand, which I wouldn't want to put down on such a floor).

Also, how do you keep your pants clean when you pull them down?

I've been wondering about both these things. Even when I was a librarian and just squatted when I was only shelving a few books on the lowest shelves, so doing that several times a day, I got to the point that I couldn't get up without putting a hand on the floor or hanging on to a higher shelf, so can those older people who have that as their only option keep doing it?

(Yes, I know squatting wasn't my best look, but I only did it when there was no one around except my supervisor.)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #475 on: July 19, 2013, 02:11:57 PM »

I'm not sure what i would do either as if i tried to squat and hover, I'd fall over. and like you, not willing to put my HAND on the floor but I suppose if i had to, i would. and make sure i had LOTS of hand sanitizer.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #476 on: July 19, 2013, 05:53:38 PM »

From the website:
Great for cereal
Plastic, dishwasher safe

If you do nothing else the rest of the month, go read the comments on that item. Amazon has nearly 4300 comments, and most of them are quite hilarious!

I saw a watermelon slicer at Home Depot the other day.  It looks just like an apple slicer but bigger!
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #477 on: July 19, 2013, 08:29:26 PM »
http://www.amazon.co.uk/GoateeSaver--The-Goatee-Shaving-Template/dp/B001F2B3P8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1374279950&sr=8-2&keywords=goatee

Somebody sent this link to me recently.  It's a little plastic doo-hickey you clamp between your teeth (well, the fellas do anyway) to provide a nifty template when trimming their beard.

Some of the comments are sidesplitting - particularly from the ladies...  (Go down the page a bit and click on the comments link, rather than the visible ones on the page.)

jolyan

« Reply #478 on: July 19, 2013, 10:43:40 PM »

From the website:
Great for cereal
Plastic, dishwasher safe

I saw a watermelon slicer at Home Depot the other day.  It looks just like an apple slicer but bigger!

There is a hot dog one too.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #479 on: July 20, 2013, 05:16:01 PM »
Hot dog slicer, banana slicer, watermelon slicer....*twitches*  I think I will just take my chances with a paring knife or in the case of the watermelon a big sharp knife.