News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• August 22, 2017, 06:21:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Who came up with this useless product?  (Read 147556 times)

Lynnv

Re: Who came up with this useless product?
« Reply #495 on: August 07, 2014, 04:23:40 PM »
I was at our local grocery store today and they had a new gizmo called the

Rapid Ramen Cooker (cooks perfect ramen noodles in the microwave in only 4 minutes, the box says!)

Ummmm, I can cook good-enough ramen noodles (who gets to define when it's perfect BTW?) in three minutes using a good ol' sauce pot, water and a regular stove.

Only $6.99 plus tax.... or a two-pack at Amazon for $13.98 plus shipping.....

I have one and use it a lot.  My job means that I live in hotels about 80% of the time.  I am not sure what perfect Ramen Noodles are either but I have to say that it is pretty handy for me and means I can eat something slightly better than fast food on a regular basis. 
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #496 on: August 07, 2014, 09:03:53 PM »
I use the tortilla warmer we have. They come in a ceramic version or a cloth version and work very well to warm tortillas.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Mental Magpie

« Reply #497 on: August 08, 2014, 12:45:14 PM »
I was at our local grocery store today and they had a new gizmo called the

Rapid Ramen Cooker (cooks perfect ramen noodles in the microwave in only 4 minutes, the box says!)

Ummmm, I can cook good-enough ramen noodles (who gets to define when it's perfect BTW?) in three minutes using a good ol' sauce pot, water and a regular stove.

Only $6.99 plus tax.... or a two-pack at Amazon for $13.98 plus shipping.....

I'm assuming you mean 3 minutes after the water boils...so it does cut down on cook time. It also seems handy for someone who doesn't have a stove.

lady_disdain

• Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #498 on: August 08, 2014, 02:42:17 PM »
But you don't need anything other than a small bowl to cook ramen in the microwave! I have plenty of experience doing that.

Mental Magpie

« Reply #499 on: August 08, 2014, 02:43:18 PM »
But you don't need anything other than a small bowl to cook ramen in the microwave! I have plenty of experience doing that.

For me, that would take 9-12 minutes to do.  Cutting that down to 4 could be nice.  I wouldn't buy it because I don't need it, but I kind of understand it's purpose.

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #500 on: August 08, 2014, 05:46:42 PM »
I saw the ramen cooker in the store the other day!  It seems like it would be useful for someone who has limited access to cooking facilities, like only having a microwave. And it's perfectly shaped for ramen.  I know I don't have any microwave safe bowls that would fit a block of ramen without being way too big.

Slartibartfast

• Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #501 on: August 08, 2014, 05:52:44 PM »
I saw the ramen cooker in the store the other day!  It seems like it would be useful for someone who has limited access to cooking facilities, like only having a microwave. And it's perfectly shaped for ramen.  I know I don't have any microwave safe bowls that would fit a block of ramen without being way too big.

At least around here, they sell single-serving ramen bowls.  They're essentially a styrofoam cup you pour boiling water in.  They cost about quarter instead of a dime, but they're convenient for the lack of dishes required  :P

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #502 on: August 08, 2014, 05:55:34 PM »
But then you're throwing away all that styrofoam!

Mental Magpie

« Reply #503 on: August 08, 2014, 06:04:25 PM »

At least around here, they sell single-serving ramen bowls.  They're essentially a styrofoam cup you pour boiling water in.  They cost about quarter instead of a dime, but they're convenient for the lack of dishes required  :P

Those taste so much different to me than the packaged blocks.  I don't care for the styrofoam cup ones, but the packaged ones are delicious in that poverty-oatmeal way.

Luci

« Reply #504 on: August 08, 2014, 06:35:57 PM »
I'm wondering if I am the only one who breaks up the blocks before cooking? I am not a fan of the long strands, and it is still good to me. I've always cooked the stuff in the microwave in a bowl that seems about right - never on the stove - so I'm pretty happy for the past, oh! my! 25 years of doing this. But I understand why travelers would really like this item.
_________

I remember how I used to laugh about bottled water until one time we had gastric distress from approved local water while traveling. We now go through at least 3 cases a year (in addition to the 2 gallons home water in jugs for every trip) and always have it available for guests - and their pets.

jolyan

« Reply #505 on: August 08, 2014, 08:10:34 PM »

I have a scar and unbendy pinkie that disagrees with you. I burnt my hand on microwaved ramen in college when the water splashednout.  My own dumb luck but a ramen cooker may have helped

lkb

« Reply #506 on: August 09, 2014, 04:49:08 AM »
Thanks for the insight. It never occurred to me about using them for travel or in situations where therewas a microwave but no stove. (At my first very very cursor glance they lookef metal too. My bad. Thanks for opening my eyes.

Mental Magpie

« Reply #507 on: August 09, 2014, 09:39:44 AM »
Thanks for the insight. It never occurred to me about using them for travel or in situations where therewas a microwave but no stove. (At my first very very cursor glance they lookef metal too. My bad. Thanks for opening my eyes.

No worries! There are a bunch of things I think of as useless and wouldn't fathom buying that other people use daily :)

Lynnv

« Reply #508 on: August 09, 2014, 11:14:30 AM »

No worries! There are a bunch of things I think of as useless and wouldn't fathom buying that other people use daily :)

Agreed.  This thread has made me see use for some things that I could never have imagined were helpful in any way.    8)
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

jpcher

« Reply #509 on: August 10, 2014, 11:20:26 AM »
I'm wondering if I am the only one who breaks up the blocks before cooking? I am not a fan of the long strands, and it is still good to me. I've always cooked the stuff in the microwave in a bowl that seems about right - never on the stove - so I'm pretty happy for the past, oh! my! 25 years of doing this. But I understand why travelers would really like this item.
_________

I remember how I used to laugh about bottled water until one time we had gastric distress from approved local water while traveling. We now go through at least 3 cases a year (in addition to the 2 gallons home water in jugs for every trip) and always have it available for guests - and their pets.

I do! But it took me a while before I figured out that it's better to break the noodles before opening the pack. ::)

I've seen people put the pack on the counter and punch it a few times but that made the noodle bits too small and crumbly for me. Plus I've had the pack explode using that method.

The best way I found is to put the pack of noodles on the edge of the counter so that the counter edge is in the middle of the pack. Press down. Turn the pack 90 degrees and press again . . . perfect 1/4-length noodles. ;D