Author Topic: 50th Wedding Anniversary  (Read 7874 times)

Teabouv

50th Wedding Anniversary
« on: February 03, 2012, 11:28:39 AM »
Who normally throws a party for a 50th Wedding Anniversary? I only question this because I have attended two recently and both were put on by the happy couples themselves. My parents 50th is approaching this year and I'm wondering what the etiquette is.

QueenofAllThings

Re: 50th Wedding Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 11:34:31 AM »
I've only attended one - my out-laws - and they threw it. My parents (who observed theirs last year) chose to travel instead. I think that, generally, either they throw it themselves or their kids do.

I don't have an issue with them throwing it themselves - I think it's a great excuse for a party!

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 11:38:47 AM »
In my experience 50th Anniversary's are generally thrown by the happy couple themselves or by their adult children (or possibly grandchildren) or some mixture of all of them.

lowspark

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 11:47:30 AM »
In my experience 50th Anniversary's are generally thrown by the happy couple themselves or by their adult children (or possibly grandchildren) or some mixture of all of them.

This, exactly.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 11:54:53 AM »
When a 50th Anniversary party was thrown for my Grandparents and Mr. Thipu's parents, the party was orchestrated by their adult children. 

I think that's the usual way to go for these things.

lisastitch

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 12:04:21 PM »
I'd say it's traditionally done by the children for their parents, since people are not supposed to throw parties for themselves.  However, for my parents' 50th and 60th anniversary parties, my siblings and I were the official hosts, but our mother did most of the planning and organizing.  She and Dad still live in Hometown, where the parties were, and they're retired, so it was much easier for her to do things.

veryfluffy

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 12:23:57 PM »
Not everyone who has a 50th wedding anniversary has children, so there can't be any kind of rule that your children have to throw your party for you.

Sapphire

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 01:39:58 PM »
I have been thinking about this myself, as it is my parents' 50th wedding anniversary this year. My sister and I are thinking about holding a surprise party for them (and I may well be coming to this board for advice  :) )

However, certainly here in the UK, it would also not be thought unusual, or rude, for the happy couple to throw a party for themselves.

SCAJAfamily

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 01:46:24 PM »
My parents celebrated 50 years this past August.  They threw two parties.  The first one was the day of at their summer house where they invited all their summer friends and us 4 children, spouses and grandchildren.  My mom told me that so many people had invited them over the years, that they needed to "pay back" with a nice party.  It was at the golf course restaurant and included drinks, dinner and cake.

The second party was this past fall in their backyard at their non-summer house.  To this they invited the neighbors, old friends, and extended family.  Us four children helped organize it and run it but we did not pay for anything.

Both parties were a lot of fun.
SCAJAfamily = dd S 22, ds C 15, ds A 12, dh J and myself dw A

Dr_Manners

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, 01:58:21 PM »
I personally am of the notion that anniversary parties should be thrown by those who are close to the couple, in order to honor them.  When I see a couple having an anniversary party for themselves, it makes me uncomfortable.  To me, anniversaries are about a couple's relationship to one another, not about having all of your friends celebrate your personal relationship.

This is just my opinion, for what it is worth.

It's good to be Queen

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012, 02:09:44 PM »
I don't think there is any problem with a couple hosting party for themselves.  No one thinks its odd if the Happy Couple throw their own wedding.  I think quite often the children do host the party.  For my aunt and uncles 50th, the kids issued the invites and arranged the catering but the party was held at my aunt and uncles house and my aunt pretty much set the guest list.  So I think after 50 years, almost anyting goes (except asking for a money tree!!!)

Dr_Manners

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2012, 02:12:56 PM »
I don't think there is any problem with a couple hosting party for themselves.  No one thinks its odd if the Happy Couple throw their own wedding.  I think quite often the children do host the party.  For my aunt and uncles 50th, the kids issued the invites and arranged the catering but the party was held at my aunt and uncles house and my aunt pretty much set the guest list.  So I think after 50 years, almost anyting goes (except asking for a money tree!!!)
I'm also uncomfortable at weddings (for different reasons, however).  But, I do see your point.

lellah

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2012, 02:17:04 PM »
I think anyone goes, hostwise. 

I also have the wacky notion that 50+ anniversaries, 80+ birthdays, and retirements can be an exception to the "never mention a gift" rule, provided that the gift in question is an old photo or a letter detailing a favorite memory and that the gift is solicited by someone other than honorees.  Scrap books made with those items almost always please their recipients considerably and cost less than 50 cents.  I mean.  C'mon! 

Teabouv

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2012, 05:47:01 PM »
Dang it! I was hoping the etiquette was for the couple to throw it themselves >:D! I don't really want to do it, lol

They live in a different province and I'm not sure if they want a party and I don't know how to ask if they want one without making it sound like I don't want to do it (which I don't, but I would never let them know that)

mlkind1789

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2012, 05:55:38 PM »
Who normally throws a party for a 50th Wedding Anniversary? I only question this because I have attended two recently and both were put on by the happy couples themselves. My parents 50th is approaching this year and I'm wondering what the etiquette is.

When my grandparents had theirs, my mother and her siblings, plus spouses, were the hosts.  I even have a copy of the newspaper piece about it.  (Small town in North Carolina, the paper still only publishes 4 days a week.   :o )