Author Topic: My Daughter: Quite the Woman  (Read 3629 times)

Moonie

My Daughter: Quite the Woman
« on: February 03, 2012, 12:44:16 PM »
A little BG first:

My daughter is in her early 30's.  She went through some really rough years that involved drug use, homelessness, some very unhealthy and dangerous lifestyle choices, the loss of custody of her children, among other things.  Three and a half years ago, she woke up, went through rehab, and has remained clean and sober, and regained custody of her youngest child (the others are with family and she has contact with all of them), has her own place, a stable albeit low paying job, and her own transportation.  To put it lightly, I am very proud of her, but something she did this week really made me even more proud to be her Mom.

At her job is an employee who is in his 40's and slightly developmentally delayed.  He was having a really hard time operating the cash register, and was slow at doing other tasks.  The company IS going to terminate him, but in talking to him, she discovered that he has problems operating the cash register because he cannot see.  He has no insurance and cannot afford to get glasses.  She is getting her income tax refund soon, and has arranged to take him to get an eye exam and is going to pay for him to get a pair of glasses.  She said that he will probably still be terminated at the job, but knowing he can see will make her more at ease because now he may be able to find himself a better job.  Her thoughtfulness and compassion for her coworker makes my heart burst with pride.  I guess all those years I wondered where I had gone wrong raising her are erased now, because I KNOW that I must have done SOMETHING right!!!

cubemissy

Re: My Daughter: Quite the Woman
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 12:58:56 PM »
How wonderful! That made me teary eyed.

Sabbyfrog2

• Super Hero!
  • I'm a Super Hero! Now where's my cape?
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 01:02:51 PM »
That is an amazing story of redemption, kindness, grace, and general faith in people. I am proud of your daughter and I've never met her. She had to fall, but she's back up now and stronger than ever!  I hope her kindness comes back to her ten fold.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 01:03:03 PM »
that is wonderful! thank you for sharing

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Dr_Manners

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 01:22:31 PM »
Moonie, you should be very proud of your daughter.  It sounds like you raised a remarkable woman!  I don't know her, but I am proud of her myself.  It takes a kind heart, and a generous soul, to offer support to another the way your daughter is doing.  Good for her, and good for you for raising her to be this way!  ;D

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 02:02:35 PM »
What a wonderful story!  Even though she had some bumpy patches, it sounds like you did a good job raising her, and she's following a great example!  What a nice thing for her to do for her CW.

Animala

• Rowr!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 02:04:11 PM »
She can order them online through Zenni for pretty cheap.  And that is super sweet of her.

Kaypeep

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 02:18:14 PM »
That's a great story.  Thank you for sharing it, and inspiring us to pay it forward like your daughter is doing.  I hope there's good things ahead for both her and her co=worker.

CakeBeret

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 02:26:27 PM »
That is a beautiful story! How wonderful of your daughter.

May I recommend that she buy the glasses online at a place such as Zenni Optical? I get my glasses there and they start at $7 for a complete pair.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

lellah

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, 02:36:15 PM »
This is a great (!!) story about your daughter and a terrible one about her bosses.  If they're firing someone who cannot complete a task because of a disability and who is addressing the disability that makes them unable to complete that task, they are on extremely shaky legal ground.  You daughter might round out her act of extreme kindness by encouraging her coworker to explain the situation to management in greater detail so he can protect his employment.

Acadianna

• Remember -- no matter where you go, there you are.
    • My Dragons
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2012, 02:19:32 AM »
What a wonderful story!  Your DD possesses the beautiful gifts of compassion, kindness, and caring.  She's a very special person and you must be so proud of her.

diesel_darlin

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2012, 10:12:11 AM »
That is an amazing story of redemption, kindness, grace, and general faith in people. I am proud of your daughter and I've never met her. She had to fall, but she's back up now and stronger than ever!  I hope her kindness comes back to her ten fold.

This.  ;)

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2012, 09:36:24 AM »
She's quite a woman with quite a mom. 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Moonie

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2012, 10:15:09 AM »
Thank you so much everyone for your kind replies. 

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2012, 07:39:39 PM »
Glasses can make such a difference in how you experience the world...I still remember getting my first pair at age 7 and experiencing the revelation that Christmas lights were individual bulbs, and not a giant blur.  Can't even imagine how much *more* it would be for an adult trying to make his way in the world.  Amazing thing your daughter is doing.

What a wonderful story; thank you for sharing.