Author Topic: You're too young to read what I'm writing, please stop  (Read 5287 times)

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
Re: You're too young to read what I'm writing, please stop
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2012, 08:15:41 AM »
The trouble with making it "Mature" is that other readers may find it and expect a far more explicit story than the one the OP is writing, and then she could end up having to deal with upset comments from those readers! I wouldn't change it unless there is space in the site's formatting to detail why it's rated Mature (i.e. if there's a space where you can put "adult themes" or "references to abuse" or whatever.

Count me in as another one who read far less tame stuff at that age. I was into VC Andrews, for pete's sake!  :D Overall, I like the suggestion of warning her privately that this is, to butcher a Princess Bride reference, a kissing story.

ETA: If it's the site I'm thinking, then Mature may work after all; I checked out their rating system and Mature is listed as "Not suitable for children or teens below the age of 16 with possible strong but non-explicit adult themes, references to violence, and strong coarse language" and there is a Mature Adult rating beyond that. If Mature is not the rating that implies strong explicit material on your site, OP, then ignore the part I've struck through. But if you do change the rating, she'll probably still keep reading it. She may not even notice the change, and even if she does, she might keep reading just to know how the plot turns out. Unless there is something that actually blocks her from reading stories above Teen, it probably won't dissuade her. This is another reason I favor a private warning.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 08:32:47 AM by Yvaine »

WhiteTigerCub

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2012, 11:49:49 AM »
I'd highly encourage her through a PM to consult her parents on the stories she is reading so that they can address any questions she has regarding the content.

Arizona

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2012, 12:12:45 PM »
I'm a writer too, and I don't think it's your job to determine who is or isn't mature enough to read your writing.  If you put it up on the web, having strangers read your writing, even if you don't want them to, is a natural result. 

Look at it this way: You mark your stuff using the site's rating system, which is in place for that reason, and the readers choose which system is appropriate for them.  A "teen" rating doesn't prohibit younger people from reading the work, I assume?  There's no ID checking or age confirmation, it's just a guideline like the reading/interest level on print books?  In that case, I think it's her right to read what she wants. 

If her parents want to restrict her reading, that's their job, not yours.  I'd stay out of this completely if I were you. 

realgonegal1

• Trying to stay below the radar with a name change!
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2012, 12:06:00 PM »
I wouldn't even communicate with this girl.  In the eyes of the law she is a child.  Responding to her opens up a dialogue that may be innocent, but what if she starts telling you things?  What if she starts asking you questions about her own life?  And you respond in a way that her parents don't like, and they find out?  Honestly, I know it's sad but you have to be VERY careful in this day and age when you talk to random kids.  Fifteen plus years ago on good old AOL I talked to someone I thought was a guy near my age.  We chatted in a chat room, mostly about music.  Pretty innocuous.  Then he sent me his picture.  He was MAYBE 12.  That was the end of that.  I've been privy to a legal case that involved innocuous online communication with a minor that was misconstrued, and the parents went ballistic and involved law enforcement.  Nothing came of it, but lots of money was spent and people were hurt.  Seriously, protect yourself.  Her parents might be VERY upset if they realized she was communicating with a total stranger.     

Clarissa

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2012, 04:38:54 PM »
I know this is a bit late and OT but I would love a link to your story. I love young adult fiction, and think your story sounds interesting. You could pm it to me if this is against site rules.  Thank you. 

lollylegs

« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2012, 07:56:12 PM »
On the one hand, I agree with other posters that it's not your job to police what this girl is reading.  But on the other hand, she started a dialogue with you.  It's not like you're going around checking the profile of all your readers and telling the under 13's that they should move along - she came to you and you seem concerned enough to want to do something.  That's really all that matters.

I don't see any problem with complete honesty.  I might say something like, "Hey there, I'm really glad that you're enjoying my work.  Your comments about kissing caught my attention though.  The story is about to include a lot more than kissing and you'll probably find those things really gross.  I won't be offended if you stopped reading now.  [If there's a rating lower than teen, maybe add that she should keep reading at that level].  Again, thank you so much for all your reviews, I hope you find something else that you enjoy!"

auntmeegs

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2012, 03:24:44 PM »
I know this is a bit late and OT but I would love a link to your story. I love young adult fiction, and think your story sounds interesting. You could pm it to me if this is against site rules.  Thank you.

Me too, me too please!

CookieChica

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2012, 10:07:48 PM »
I think the suggestions of direct review responses mentioning that the story is going to continue in the "gross vein" is a great idea.

I encourage you not to feel too guilty about exposing this girl. She's continuing to read it even though she finds it not to her taste. Much of my ahem, "education" was from Dawson's Creek fanfiction that was not appropriate for 14 year olds by MPAA guidelines. It is strange that this girl is commenting on her displeasure with the material because most kids that are searching out that material are doing it out of natural curiosity. I wonder if she feels guilty because it is catching her interest and she thinks it shouldn't be.