Author Topic: I would prefer to NOT be your chauffer...  (Read 4143 times)

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
I would prefer to NOT be your chauffer...
« on: February 07, 2012, 01:12:31 AM »

I live in the Washington Metro area  Baltimore and Washington are 40 miles apart and it can take anywhere from 40 min to 2 hours to get between cities depending on traffic.   So a friend of mine has to come up to Baltimore in order to attend an administrative hearing with the MVA.  She lives about 40 min outside of Washington in Centreville, VA, but uses the Metro system to get around.  I just had a conversation this evening that has me a bit baffled.

I agreed to accompany her to her hearing for moral support.  I assumed that she would drive up and we would meet there ahead of time...you know what happens to people who assume don't you..

Her: Hey what time are we meeting tomorrow

Me: How about 10am or so

Her: Can I meet you at a metro station since I'm not familiar with Baltimore?

Me: There is no Metro near Baltimore. *The nearest station is Greenbelt 20 miles away*

Her: I know,  I was hoping to have you pick me up at Silver Spring *which is 30 miles away*

Me: :o :o :o
Me:  I'm afraid that won't be possible, to come and get you that would mean I would have to drive south to Silver Spring, back to Baltimore, then 15 miles north to Hunt Valley and then back through Baltimore and down to Silver Spring to drop you off. That is way too much driving and too much gas.  I'm happy to send you the address so you can mapquest it

Her: Well can we meet at Greenbelt

Me: I'm afraid that won't be possible
Her: Can we meet someplace halfway?

Me: Well there is a park and ride at Exit 16 off the Baltimore Beltway, I can meet you there.  *Sends the directions*

*15 minutes go by*

Her: Do you have the address for the MVA?

Me: *sends the address*

Her: It sounds like it's quicker if I meet you at the MVA

Me:  ::) ::) ::)

Raintree

• Super Hero!
Re: I would prefer to NOT be your chauffer...
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 01:40:54 AM »
Good for you! I hate the assumption that because I drive, it's no problem to provide door-to-door service. Luckily my non-driving friends do not assume this but in the past I've had my share.

rashea

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 11:38:39 AM »
I think this worked out pretty well. She asked, you said no, and you found a new solution together. I'm surprised she didn't just catch the Metro to where you are, and ride in with you from there.
"Manners change, principles don't. It's about treating people with consideration, respect and honesty." Peter Post

Vermont

PastryGoddess

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 03:24:03 PM »
I think this worked out pretty well. She asked, you said no, and you found a new solution together. I'm surprised she didn't just catch the Metro to where you are, and ride in with you from there.

The Metro does not link directly to Baltimore. She would have had to catch a train..to a bus..to the light rail.  Just to get to baltimore from her place.

rashea

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 03:54:17 PM »

The Metro does not link directly to Baltimore. She would have had to catch a train..to a bus..to the light rail.  Just to get to baltimore from her place.

I got that. I thought the OP didn't live in Baltimore, but did live in Washington where the metro does go. So, friend would come to OPs house on the metro, and then they could go from there.

Unless I'm reading wrong and the OP lives in Baltimore already, which would make the conversation very strange.
"Manners change, principles don't. It's about treating people with consideration, respect and honesty." Peter Post

Vermont

PastryGoddess

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 08:31:48 PM »
I'm the OP and live in Baltimore