Author Topic: I've not heard of this one - update page4  (Read 17576 times)

christmascarol

I've not heard of this one - update page4
« on: February 10, 2012, 12:37:07 AM »
I'm a good ettiquettehell member, I do not like gift grabs.  This one has horrified me.

My aunt recieved an invite to a family wedding and asked me if it really was asking for money as a present as she'd never come across it before.
The invite had the time and date and a `cutesy´ poem that informed the guests that money was expected, gold and silver was good but paper was better and that the bag included with the invite was to put the present in.

Jaw, meet floor.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 11:48:25 PM by christmascarol »

missmolly

Re: I've not heard of this one
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 01:25:38 AM »
Paper, eh? Evil Molly would be dipping into her monopoly set for their gift  >:D.
"Any idiot can face a crisis, it is this day-to-day living that wears you out". Chekhov.

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 02:58:54 AM »
Or some lovely writing paper- you know- for all those thankyou letters!
NE England

atirial

• just 'plane mad
    • Cat blog
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 04:00:01 AM »
My first reaction was to wonder whether they wanted origami paper or quilling. It just seems very wrong since the couple aren't just saying a gift is expected, they are saying exactly what type of gift is acceptable.

Unfortunately this seems to be becoming more usual. There are even wedding planing sites offering examples.

starry diadem

• διάδημα: The Glass Hat
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 04:14:02 AM »
My first reaction was to wonder whether they wanted origami paper or quilling. It just seems very wrong since the couple aren't just saying a gift is expected, they are saying exactly what type of gift is acceptable.

Unfortunately this seems to be becoming more usual. There are even wedding planing sites offering examples.

Oh my lord.  Sickeningly bad manners in the form of sickeningly bad poetry.  Truly a marriage made in heaven.
Mysterious ravens go after local farmer's potatoes

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 05:46:00 AM »
The invite had the time and date and a `cutesy´ poem that informed the guests that money was expected

That's bad enough, but

that the bag included with the invite was to put the present in.

QueenofAllThings

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 07:18:29 AM »
A lovely card wishing them all the best is paper, isn't it?

What's sadder is many guests think they are 'required' to do what the B & G tell them in these poems. Not so!

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 10:02:22 AM »
You could always write a check, which is paper, is it not?, for one cent.

But that would be terribly passive aggressive.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

RandomAngel

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 10:04:34 AM »
The invite had the time and date and a `cutesy´ poem that informed the guests that money was expected

That's bad enough, but

that the bag included with the invite was to put the present in.

Well, you know, times ARE changing. A lot of what was once considered "polite" is just outdated snobbishne-- :o

Excuse me. I think that was me having a stroke. There's just nothing about this that's okay.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 10:53:01 AM »
I can send your aunt my bookmark that looks like a $100 bill to put in that bag.  It will be very useful to go with that etiquette book  >:D

GoTwins

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 10:53:47 AM »
A nice book on etiquette is also paper.  ;)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 11:07:40 AM »
Even though the first anniversary gift is supposed to be paper, we could have fun with this.

I'd consider putting together a big, beautifully wrapped gift that includes...
Toilet paper.
Paper towels.
Paper napkins.
Facial tissue. 

These are the sort of things that used to be put in a Wishing Well when my generation was getting married.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2012, 11:12:01 AM »
I often give money for wedding gifts, particularly for people who are not the traditional young couple starting out with nothing. However, if I were instructed to give money I'd be gobsmacked. Tacky, tacky.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2012, 11:49:52 AM »
Wow.

You know every once in a while I read a thread like this, or the one in the wedding folder about the sister who wants a double shower for her second wedding, and I start to write "I don't expect any gifts but if I really had to say what I want (cause yeah everyone likes gifts after all) I'd be happy if I simply got..." and I freeze up.  I mean if I do get gifts I'll be happy - I feel I'm a very good gift receiver (I'm not all that picky  :D so everything I get is generally "awesome!") but I can't think of anything I'm, particularly rooting for.  I mean I'd like a second vegetable peeler because I eat a lot of carrots and hate washing the one I have but really the are $3-12 - if I really wanted a second one so badly I'd buy one myself.  And I'd like a KitchenAid mixer, but I hardly expect to get a $300 gift - I put that up with I'd like a flat screen wall mount TV too - its good to want things and it drives me to work harder so I can increase my disposable income.  Ultimately when I really really think about it, so much more important to me then the gifts I get are what I can provide for my guests - I am more worried over having a menu everyone will enjoy, and having a shuttle bus so guests can drink and not worry, and having great music so people want to party.  I would rather have a photo booth then a professional photographer because I want my guests to get fun photos to take home more then i need an album for my coffee table.  Etc. 

I just don't understand the whole greedy part of getting married.  Maybe its because I'm older and it took me longer to find the right guy and went through a lot of wrong guys before him, but isn't getting the spouse and the marriage the ultimate thing to get?  No material goods can ever top waking up next to my love and no stuff will ever fill my life like the prospect of my future together with him can.  getting married is winning one of life's best lotto's - how greedy to want say "whoo-hoo I have won, I have found the love of my life and they agree and love me back, so many people never find this ever and I found it now... and I want MORE!"

HonorH

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2012, 12:07:07 PM »
You could always write a check, which is paper, is it not?, for one cent.

But that would be terribly passive aggressive.

Yes. And that would be wrong.

But I'd totally be tempted.
William wondered why he always disliked people who said "no offense meant." Maybe it was because they found it easier to say "no offense meant" than actually to refrain from giving offense.

--Terry Pratchett, The Truth