Author Topic: I've not heard of this one - update page4  (Read 17710 times)

BeagleMommy

Re: I've not heard of this one
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2012, 01:27:41 PM »
Wow, my flabber is officially gasted!  I really dislike those infantile poems suggesting what should be given as gifts.  My cousin included one in her baby shower invitations (yes, she did them herself) that was supposed to be in the voice of the baby.  Made me cringe!

gingerzing

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2012, 01:44:11 PM »
I see I am not the first one who immediately went to origami.  Heh.  Folded up little paper pigs... What? 
Actually, I am totally all over thank you cards and would do that in a heartbeat.  If I liked the couple I would add stamps.   >:D  Why, yes I am fairly evil. 

Kaypeep

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2012, 01:49:08 PM »
How about a cutesy poem, on some lovely paper, framed!  Didn't we have someone post a "reply" poem to give back to gimme pig B&Gs?  Or can one of our talented writers perhaps come up with one now?  Have it written in calligraphy and make it suitable for framing!

RandomAngel

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2012, 01:53:19 PM »
You could always write a check, which is paper, is it not?, for one cent.

But that would be terribly passive aggressive.

Yes. And that would be wrong.

But I'd totally be tempted.

I...don't know. They specified money. They specified paper. They provided an envelope into which the gift was meant to fit, and a check surely would. Are the guests really expected to read between the lines--after all that detail has been provided!--and guess at an appropriate amount? Surely if it mattered, the happy couple would have specified that, as well.

squeakers

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2012, 02:31:18 PM »
You could always write a check, which is paper, is it not?, for one cent.

But that would be terribly passive aggressive.

Yes. And that would be wrong.

But I'd totally be tempted.

I...don't know. They specified money. They specified paper. They provided an envelope into which the gift was meant to fit, and a check surely would. Are the guests really expected to read between the lines--after all that detail has been provided!--and guess at an appropriate amount? Surely if it mattered, the happy couple would have specified that, as well.

I agree especially as money isn't made of paper.  It's made of linen and cotton.  Checks are made of paper  >:D
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

Namárië

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2012, 02:41:50 PM »
I'd have included one Sacajawea dollar in the bag and maybe a couple nickles. They wanted gold and silver, right?
Competence is a trap!
I mostly don't make stuff, but sometimes I do: http://initiationcreation.blogspot.com

hannahmollysmom

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2012, 02:52:44 PM »
The majority of wedding gifts I give are the invitation in a shadow box frame with quilling and ribbons. They are always well received. So, I guess my gift would be right up their alley!

P.S. I'm not a cheap skate, I always give a monetary gift too.

Iris

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2012, 04:31:42 PM »
The majority of wedding gifts I give are the invitation in a shadow box frame with quilling and ribbons. They are always well received. So, I guess my gift would be right up their alley!

P.S. I'm not a cheap skate, I always give a monetary gift too.

If someone had given me that as a wedding present no way would I have been diving back into the bag to look for money, thinking they were a cheapskate. I think it's a lovely idea and the time spent on it and money for materials would be much appreciated.

And very, very appropriate for this couple. All that paper!  ;D
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2012, 04:40:24 PM »
We got married when we were older and both of us had our own households set up already.  People kept asking us what we wanted, and I kept saying, "Nothing, just come to our wedding and celebrate with us.  We don't need anything."  We still got money and gift certificates (this was when gift cards weren't that common), so I think the people who ask for money outright are making a big mistake - not only is it rude to assume that people are giving you gifts, it's tacky.  I was very touched by an elderly aunt who sent us $20; she was on a fixed income, so, for her, $20 was a lot.  I thanked her for it very much, too.

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2012, 05:00:41 PM »
christmascarol, what do you think your aunt will do? I'm not sure what I would do. I'd probably RSVP no, and just send a card (with no gift). But I'm not sure.

chibichan

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2012, 05:23:22 PM »
I find it interesting that many of the Gimme Cash poems include the sentiment  " Hope you're not offended " .

It simply shows that they know it's offensive .
The key to avoiding trouble is to learn to recognize it from a distance.

christmascarol

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2012, 12:26:47 AM »
OP here.  I suggested an ettiquette book as well  >:D  I also said that I thought it was appalling ettiquette.

christmascarol, what do you think your aunt will do? I'm not sure what I would do. I'd probably RSVP no, and just send a card (with no gift). But I'm not sure.

I think my aunt will give them money but I think she might have done that anyway, plus a small token gift to mark the occasion.  However, this is making her feel put on the spot and worry about the right thing to do and how much to give.  She'll definitely go to the wedding.  She's so excited to be invited and to see everyone again.
She's given this young couple, and the siblings, quite a lot over the years and is over the moon if she gets a thankyou.  I think that should be a given but they obviously don't.

johelenc1

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2012, 01:16:39 AM »
Well, first of all, the happy couple are going about this all wrong.  Instead of paper - they should go for the silver and gold.  I mean, have they noticed the price of gold lately?

Erich L-ster

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2012, 04:49:11 AM »
Super tacky.

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2012, 02:00:20 PM »
I'm a good ettiquettehell member, I do not like gift grabs.  This one has horrified me.

My aunt recieved an invite to a family wedding and asked me if it really was asking for money as a present as she'd never come across it before.
The invite had the time and date and a `cutesy´ poem that informed the guests that money was expected, gold and silver was good but paper was better and that the bag included with the invite was to put the present in.

Jaw, meet floor.

Oh for the love of Deity. My mother wanted me to include a gimmeeee moneee poem into our wedding invitations. Even before eHell, I hated those things!!! This below is the worst thing I have ever seen...

This wishing well before you here
Has a purpose that's pretty clear.
Please drop some money into the slot,
Please don't skimp on it...make it a lot!
We would think it pretty nifty
If it was at least a fifty.
After all it cost us lots of money
To plan this day and our moon of honey!

It's just greedy!!!!! :(
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.