Author Topic: A GREAT response to "it's just a joke!"  (Read 6700 times)

Solanna Dryden

A GREAT response to "it's just a joke!"
« on: February 12, 2012, 09:05:17 PM »
Someone posted this on Tumblr, it's from some article, although I'm not sure what exactly:

"I think we can all recognize that the “it’s a joke excuse” is the most dismissive, self-righteous loophole, created by those who refuse to examine their power, and assume they have not only the right to say whatever they want to people, but the right to control how other people react to what they have said."

I want to print this out, make a million copies, get them all laminated and keep them in my pocket to hand out to everyone who ever tries this with me again.
Honey badger don't care. YOLO

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
Re: A GREAT response to "it's just a joke!"
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 09:10:40 PM »
That is great!

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 09:20:45 PM »
That is good. My standard response is usually "Really? Jokes are supposed to be funny. What was funny about what you just said?"

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

diesel_darlin

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 09:24:05 PM »
That would also work for "just sayin" and "I'm not tryin' to be rude but...."

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 05:07:48 AM »
Ditto "Don't take this the wrong way...", "I am not one to gossip, but..." and "I didn't want to be the one to tell you this, but..."

Anyone who begins a sentence that way gets a frosty reception from me.
Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

lowspark

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 09:44:27 AM »
How about "with all due respect" which usually precedes something disrespectful.

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 09:57:53 AM »
And "I don't like to say 'I told you so, but...'" This is usually followed by something that might as well be "I told you so!!!"

My friends and family all know me well enough not to say that sort of thing. If someone I don't know well says that, I simply cut them off mid-sentence and say "Don't, then." That means don't gossip, don't be rude, don't say "I told you so." Simply, if people feel the need to give a disclaimer then what they are about to say will be offensive. If people feel the need to quantify their statement with "But it was only a joke..." then what they have said is offensive. In both cases, the speaker knows patently well that their statements have offended and upset, therefore whomever they are speaking to has the right to cut them off mid-tirade if that is the only way to stop them.

I say this simply because there was one particular person who used to say this constantly. Not just to me, but to everyone. "I don't mean to be rude, but..." You could bet your bottom dollar that she would be rude. Very rude. Commenting on people's weight, appearance, etc.  Even before eHell, I used to "bean dip" people, changing the subject, which would lead to her saying "You don't like the truth, do you?" Yes, actually, I do like the truth, rather a lot as it happens, just not when it is presented to me in such a manner as to humiliate and upset me.  I tried distracting that person as you would a child, I tried talking to her about it and I tried ignoring her in public. Nothing worked. So I just started cutting her off halfway through. I then moved jobs and now have nothing more to do with her or her rude ways. Maybe not the eHell approved way to deal with people like this, but this was after months of her being like this to me. I couldn't get up and walk away as I was sitting opposite her.  My manager sat next to me so she could hear everything and when I started cutting her off mid flow, I was the one who got told off for being rude!!  ???
Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

TheVapors

• Oh my! I should lay down...
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 10:31:08 AM »
Thanks for posting that, OP!

I'm going to copy it down right this moment! It's a good thing to remember for all sorts of occasions.

crella

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 12:28:52 AM »
That is great! My mother says the rudest things imaginable, and if anyone gets huffy, of course her reply always is that 'I was only joking!'.

Raintree

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2012, 12:56:30 AM »
And people who say this can usually dish it out just fine, but they can't take a "joke" themselves.

Curly Wurly Doggie Breath

• Aussie's Rule
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2012, 01:47:46 AM »
That is great! My mother says the rudest things imaginable, and if anyone gets huffy, of course her reply always is that 'I was only joking!'.
My mother always says

"But it's true."

( she has had a lot of mini strokes and has lost All limits on what she says)

The Southern Cross Flag. Australia

Solanna Dryden

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2012, 02:24:37 AM »
My mother always says

"But it's true."

Oh, shoot. I forgot the "but it's true!" defence. Not really sure what to do about that one :/
Honey badger don't care. YOLO

Mikayla

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2012, 10:51:38 AM »
I love these!  Mine is "I don't mean to interrupt, but.....".

Really? ???

dawbs

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2012, 10:56:27 AM »
My mother always says

"But it's true."

as is oft-quoted for 2nd graders "But it's not nice and it's not necessary to say"
Oh, shoot. I forgot the "but it's true!" defence. Not really sure what to do about that one :/

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2012, 11:08:16 AM »
And people who say this can usually dish it out just fine, but they can't take a "joke" themselves.

I don't find that to be true at all. A lot of times people are really just joking (shocking, i know, and an unpopular sentiment here). In my experience it is the people who refuse to accept that sometimes it really is just a joke are the ones who are really petty at heart and drama-rousers in general.
YMMV.

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem