News:

• April 19, 2018, 08:31:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: warning in subject line, please  (Read 20331 times)

artk2002

• The Delian's Commonwealth
Re: warning in subject line, please
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2012, 11:56:07 AM »
The problem is, what are the standards? What shall we use as a list of topics that require a warning? There are people who get upset if  different foods are touching on their plate -- do we need to warn for that? There are more who don't like spiders. Does a thread that deals with spiders require a warning. For one person adoption is a source of tremendous joy, while for another the topic sends them off the deep end. Do we have to warn there, too?

Being a tad sarcastic here, but we could end up with a very generic warning: "Caution, this post was made by a person who occasionally thinks and writes about upsetting things. If upsetting things upset you, you may want to look elsewhere."

While nobody should be going for a gross-out award on this forum, I think that it's really tough to have any kind of standard for putting up warnings. We talk a lot about difficult topics because these are when etiquette really comes into play. The right thing to do is for readers to understand that they may be exposed to things that make them uncomfortable and to stop reading when they run into that. If hearing a particular topic mentioned is upsetting to the point it debilitates someone, then they need to seek help. (Nota bene: I'm not singling out people who don't like reading upsetting things in that last statement. I'd make that statement about anybody who has a situation that renders them incapacitated.)

A note about "POD": Back when it first cropped up, EHellDame commented that she didn't like it and I agreed with her then and agree still, although it doesn't bug me too much now. It's just a bit twee and insider-ish.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Surianne

• Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2012, 12:03:44 PM »
I can't quote from my phone, but I do agree with Surianne and the rest who posted similar sentiments.  I'd be adding "Pod" to the do-not-use list, it's so *squee* it makes my teeth ache.

I think my favourite thing about this thread is learning there are people who hate "Pod" as much as I do  ;D

Moray

• My hovercraft is full of eels!
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2012, 12:09:18 PM »
I can't quote from my phone, but I do agree with Surianne and the rest who posted similar sentiments.  I'd be adding "Pod" to the do-not-use list, it's so *squee* it makes my teeth ache.

I think my favourite thing about this thread is learning there are people who hate "Pod" as much as I do  ;D

Heartening, isn't it?

If I had my "druthers" I'd ban "moist", "lugubrious", "squelch" and "druthers"  :D
Utah

Phoebe

« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2012, 04:42:21 PM »
The problem is, what are the standards? What shall we use as a list of topics that require a warning? There are people who get upset if  different foods are touching on their plate -- do we need to warn for that? There are more who don't like spiders. Does a thread that deals with spiders require a warning. For one person adoption is a source of tremendous joy, while for another the topic sends them off the deep end. Do we have to warn there, too?

Being a tad sarcastic here, but we could end up with a very generic warning: "Caution, this post was made by a person who occasionally thinks and writes about upsetting things. If upsetting things upset you, you may want to look elsewhere."

While nobody should be going for a gross-out award on this forum, I think that it's really tough to have any kind of standard for putting up warnings. We talk a lot about difficult topics because these are when etiquette really comes into play. The right thing to do is for readers to understand that they may be exposed to things that make them uncomfortable and to stop reading when they run into that. If hearing a particular topic mentioned is upsetting to the point it debilitates someone, then they need to seek help. (Nota bene: I'm not singling out people who don't like reading upsetting things in that last statement. I'd make that statement about anybody who has a situation that renders them incapacitated.)

A note about "POD": Back when it first cropped up, EHellDame commented that she didn't like it and I agreed with her then and agree still, although it doesn't bug me too much now. It's just a bit twee and insider-ish.

Common sense should rule.  If a reasonable person would be squeamish about a topic, then a warning is a good idea.  Different food items in close proximity to each other?   Even those with food allergies aren't likely to lose their lunch, so to speak, by reading about it.  A rather descriptive account of walking into a restroom and seeing private parts being washed in the sink?  Not so much.  There are several font options available to hide iffy things.  That's all it takes.

HorseFreak

« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2012, 06:03:00 PM »

Funnily enough, I don't mind "squee," but "twee" I cannot stand! I wish we had a warning for that  ;D

artk2002

• The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2012, 11:30:04 PM »
Common sense should rule.  If a reasonable person would be squeamish about a topic, then a warning is a good idea.  Different food items in close proximity to each other?   Even those with food allergies aren't likely to lose their lunch, so to speak, by reading about it.  A rather descriptive account of walking into a restroom and seeing private parts being washed in the sink?  Not so much.  There are several font options available to hide iffy things.  That's all it takes.

"Common sense" isn't. What's "reasonable" to you isn't reasonable to me. I consider myself a reasonable person and Reason's posting didn't upset me (the one about the sink.) I thought it was disgusting, but didn't require any kind of a warning. Or does that make me "unreasonable" because it didn't bug me and I don't think it required any kind of warning? Do I then lack common sense because I don't agree with you on this?
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

lollylegs

« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2012, 01:32:25 AM »

Quick aside - I've never actually used 'pod' while posting here, but the other day a friend said something that I agreed with wholeheartedly and I burst out with, "Pod!" before I even realised what I was saying.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2012, 03:44:29 AM »
How this for some irony?

I am fine with "squick", however "gross" disgusts me.  I don't like the way the word sounds, I don't like how saying it makes my mouth feel, and the word itself conjures images of sloppy-disgusting things, like bloody puddles of stool.

Also, with the word "pod"... po...uh...ositively agree.   ;)

hobish

• Release the gelfling!
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2012, 07:50:58 AM »

"Common sense" isn't. What's "reasonable" to you isn't reasonable to me. I consider myself a reasonable person and Reason's posting didn't upset me (the one about the sink.) I thought it was disgusting, but didn't require any kind of a warning. Or does that make me "unreasonable" because it didn't bug me and I don't think it required any kind of warning? Do I then lack common sense because I don't agree with you on this?

I found nothing wrong with it, either, and have certainly seen much more personal issues discussed in far more detail without any sort of etiquette application at all.

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

magicdomino

« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2012, 09:54:51 AM »
How this for some irony?

I am fine with "squick", however "gross" disgusts me.  I don't like the way the word sounds, I don't like how saying it makes my mouth feel, and the word itself conjures images of sloppy-disgusting things, like bloody puddles of stool.

Also, with the word "pod"... po...uh...ositively agree.   ;)

This is why I don't consider "squick" and "gross" to be synonyms.  Squick = eww.  Gross = eeeeewwwwwwww!  However, the fact that they even sound disqusting is what makes them useful for their purposes, as long as they aren't overused as some young girls tend to do.