Author Topic: (would you tell?) Valentine - Some assembly required  (Read 5442 times)

kethria

• عاشق, ولهان
Re: (would you tell?) Valentine - Some assembly required
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2012, 01:47:59 PM »
Also I have to say, in regards to ordering from a local florist, some of the websites give you the option to have a local florist deliver an arrangement. So I had ordered some flowers for my grandma's birthday that were to come in a coffee cup with some candy, and she called to thank me and said that she just loves carnations. Carnations?!?!? I ordered roses. Turns out that sometimes when you deal with a national website who contracts through local florists, there is a clause that says that the local florists reserve the right to substitute blooms based upon availability. I was really upset although it turns out that Grandma loves carnations more than roses.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2012, 03:56:53 PM »
Also I have to say, in regards to ordering from a local florist, some of the websites give you the option to have a local florist deliver an arrangement. So I had ordered some flowers for my grandma's birthday that were to come in a coffee cup with some candy, and she called to thank me and said that she just loves carnations. Carnations?!?!? I ordered roses. Turns out that sometimes when you deal with a national website who contracts through local florists, there is a clause that says that the local florists reserve the right to substitute blooms based upon availability. I was really upset although it turns out that Grandma loves carnations more than roses.

That happened to me once, too. DH ordered online and a local florist delivered an arrangement. Turns out the flowers had been downgraded but the price definitely didn't follow suit. We were both annoyed enough that we agreed no more flowers (until this past Val. Day because he's out of town for work and felt bad. lol). Now for my birthday, mother's day, etc. I get a clean house, dinner and children who promise to be on their best behavior all day. It's great!!  ;D

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2012, 04:12:05 PM »
POD to the local florist.  My parents sent me flowers one year for my birthday, which fell on a Sat.  I had mentioned to them IF they chose to do that, I would be at a wedding sat so they needed to arrive before noon.  They told the florist this as well, the local one near me, but they didnít get their shipment until later, so were unable to deliver my roses that day.  They were closed Sunday, and as I was off Monday, I went there (they had called and left me a VM).  They could not have been nicer; they apologized and explained their delivery was late, and said we will give you all new roses, but could you come back in a couple of hours, as they hadnít had a chance to put them together yet.  So I got a new arrangement and had they not gone out of business, my mom would use them again.

And I have one I use by my mom, and I can just call and say I'd like this, and want to spend this much, and let them choose.  Never had a bad ararngement.

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2012, 05:16:16 PM »
I got the same sort of box with flowers and bear from proflowers on Friday. There was supposed to be a card to tell me who it came from. It didn't. I kept asking my new boyfriend if he got them and he kept telling me he didn't. :/  Turns out it was from someone else entirely and I didn't find out until yesterday when he asked me if I had got them. I failed to mention that they were in pretty poor shape. They really did not last as long as I think they should have.

I had to gush to new boyfriend how much I love chocolate covered strawberries (that he got for me) much better than flowers any old day.  Sure wish proflowers had included that card, it would have saved me a ton of smooching up later. :)

Wait - so somebody other than your boyfriend sent you flowers?  Was it a secret admirer or pining flame, or just a nice friendly gesture?   Either way, it must have been awkward for boyfriend thinking  "why won't she shut about those flowers, I didn't send them!  Maybe I should have sent her flowers?  I wonder who did send her flowers..."
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

WhiteTigerCub

« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2012, 05:36:12 PM »
I got the same sort of box with flowers and bear from proflowers on Friday. There was supposed to be a card to tell me who it came from. It didn't. I kept asking my new boyfriend if he got them and he kept telling me he didn't. :/  Turns out it was from someone else entirely and I didn't find out until yesterday when he asked me if I had got them. I failed to mention that they were in pretty poor shape. They really did not last as long as I think they should have.

I had to gush to new boyfriend how much I love chocolate covered strawberries (that he got for me) much better than flowers any old day.  Sure wish proflowers had included that card, it would have saved me a ton of smooching up later. :)

Wait - so somebody other than your boyfriend sent you flowers?  Was it a secret admirer or pining flame, or just a nice friendly gesture?   Either way, it must have been awkward for boyfriend thinking  "why won't she shut about those flowers, I didn't send them!  Maybe I should have sent her flowers?  I wonder who did send her flowers..."

LOL Yep. The guy I got the flowers from is just a friend who I play World of Warcraft with and have known for several years who lives clear across the country. It was a sweet gesture as I loaned him some money about six months ago. He tried to pay me back but I refused and told it was a gift. :)   

I've only known new boyfriend for about 4 months so he didn't know about WoW friend as I haven't been playing very much when he comes over. New BF kept making jokes about how I had a 'secret admirer'.  I think he was relieved when I told him about friend sending them, as he thought maybe my EXH was trying to get back into the picture.

And to think all this could have been avoided if proflowers had included that dang card indicating who it was from. :/

Arizona

mdatca

« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2012, 01:03:13 PM »
It sounds very similar to the stuff my DD got from her bf this year.  I must say that yes we had to put it together bit the roses were very nice.  It was a dozen assorted colors with a large vase a small box of chocolate and a small teddy bear.  I have never had any experience with pro flowers and may have used them in the future but after seeing that it is hit or miss I will stick with local florists.
I never saw a wild thing
sorry for itself.
A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough
without ever having felt sorry for itself.

D.H. Lawrence

Xandraea

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2012, 04:56:43 PM »
I have lost much respect for the guys in the big brown truck that deliver.  Not even on a special occasion, these guys ring the bell and run, and are back in their truck driving away before I get to the door.  I have had some pretty bashed up packages arrive because they toss 'em and run rather than taking the time to put them down.  I actually witnessed one delivery when I lived in KY.  I had a long gravel driveway and my windows were open because it was a nice day, so I heard the truck coming.  I stood and looked out the 2nd story window over the front walk and watched as the delivery guy ran up the walk, THREW the box toward the front step and turned and ran back to his truck before it landed. I watched the box fly a good 8 feet through the air before thudding onto the cement step and crashing into the wall. By the time I got downstairs the delivery guy was gone.  Thankfully the box contained a twin-size comforter, not a Ming Vase, but how was he to know that?

Oh, and I ordered from Pro-Flowers once, for Mother's Day, since I lived 900 miles away from my mother.  I came home to visit shortly after and the flowers were indeed beautiful. She said nothing about the manner in which they were delivered.  I won't likely order from Pro-Flowers again however because, they put me on the mailing list of every one of their "partners" so my email (required for order confirmation in the first place) was bombarded with not only "we miss you, special deal on flowers if you order from us again!" emails, but also email about the cheap-looking gifty-items and chocolates and other things I had zero interest in.  I had to opt-out of all of these mails for a good year before they stopped coming.

Another note, I went to the local Purple-box florist 2 days after V-Day and bought myself a GORGEOUS 18-stem bouquet of roses for half off, brought 'em home, realized I don't own a vase big enough and pulled out a sturdy glass water pitcher. They're sitting beside me now as beautiful as can be, making me wish I could afford to buy myself flowers every week :)

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2012, 06:03:31 PM »
Always check the fine print.  Even through the same website, some arrangements will be made and delivered by a local shop, while others are delivered via UPS with assembly required.  There is usually notice of that somewhere in the listing for each arrangement and you do have to be careful when ordering, depending on what you want.

I've never ordered v-day flowers online, but I have ordered some flowers & plants for other occasions via a couple of different websites, and every time, the actual arrangement & delivery was done by a local florist.
"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture