Author Topic: RSVP Purgatory, or is it Limbo? #12, the party was great!  (Read 3123 times)

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: RSVP Purgatory, or is it Limbo? #12, the party was great!
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2012, 04:41:21 PM »
OK, as a copyeditor, now I need to hear about "Pin the Apostrophe on the Contraction."

gellchom

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2012, 05:07:01 PM »
OK, as a copyeditor, now I need to hear about "Pin the Apostrophe on the Contraction."

Can I play, too?

You can practice with this: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/apostrophe

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2012, 05:07:53 PM »
I found the cartoon w/ the "Pin the apostrophe on the contraction" joke--and now I remember that I've seen it before.

Marbles

• I'm lost
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2012, 01:19:19 AM »
Yay for you!  I'm glad your shower was a big hit.

So what did you do about the non-responders?

I emailed one and said it looked like she was busy (this was implied by a number of her blog posts, so I wasn't completely coming out of left field here) and that we'd miss her. She confirmed that she was trying to get extra hours at work that weekend, so thanks for understanding.

The other one mysteriously disappeared from my email addressbook, so I trusted that she wouldn't come. She doesn't drive, so I didn't think she could get here without notifying someone. Indeed, she did not show up. I had one person call out sick, so it would not have posed a problem in seating.

I cut out the letters I, T, and S in adhesive backed felt (a product I didn't know existed before this project). I put them on a felt background with a bit of bad kerning to show where the apostrophe should sit. I cut out a number of apoststrophes in different colored felt and stuck velcro dots on the back. The game played just like Pin the Tail on the Donkey: blindfold, spin (just once - we're old enough to not need the dizzy thrill :) ), and place.