A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Travel

Please help me find local attractions in the US!

(1/11) > >>

Cereal Killer:
Hi all,

I'm planning to visit US in June 2012 with my boyfriend and therefore I'm after some advice.

We're going to fly to New York, stay there for a couple of days (too short, I know, but our time is limited!), and then start to travel to the west, something like New york - Washington D.C. - Miami - New Orleans - Dallas - Roswell - Las Vegas - LA - San Fransisco. In total we have about 4 weeks to do this so something might have to be left out.

What I would like to hear from you is recommendations of local oddities/festivals/anything fun along this general route. It doesn't have to be in any of the cities I mentioned, as we would like to visit smaller places, too, as they often are surprisingly interesting. So, if any of you know there's a great "Cats and Giraffes festival" in some tiny town, or the World's biggest spoon -museum, or things like that, please let me know! Or anything you consider very typical for your area, that could be interesting for a foreigner to experience, I want to hear about it!

I also would like to know if there's an especially over-the-top tacky honey moon suite somewhere in Las vegas, as we're getting married there.  :P

We hope to use trains and buses as much as possible but if it's very much cheaper or faster we can also fly or rent a car for some journeys between destinations.

ScubaGirl:
Wow, that is an ambitious plan!  Generally speaking, you could take a train from NY to Washington DC.  From there you may just want to fly from place to place.  There is a lot you can see on the road but there is a lot of nothing to see as well and it takes a lot of time out of your trip.  Personally I'd skip Miami and fly to Orlando and do Disney then rent a car and spend a day or two in the Tampa/St. Pete area.  I prefer to the Gulf side to the Atlantic side.   Or, Key West is pretty cool for 2 adults.

If you haven't already, start checking out the official tourist websites for each state and city you want to visit.  Often times you can have them send you printed material - which I like because I can then look over everything at my leisure.

Whereever you go I hope you have a fantastic time!

ncgal:

--- Quote from: Cereal Killer on February 16, 2012, 08:55:39 AM ---Hi all,

I'm planning to visit US in June 2012 with my boyfriend and therefore I'm after some advice.

We're going to fly to New York, stay there for a couple of days (too short, I know, but our time is limited!), and then start to travel to the west, something like New york - Washington D.C. - Miami - New Orleans - Dallas - Roswell - Las Vegas - LA - San Fransisco. In total we have about 4 weeks to do this so something might have to be left out.

What I would like to hear from you is recommendations of local oddities/festivals/anything fun along this general route. It doesn't have to be in any of the cities I mentioned, as we would like to visit smaller places, too, as they often are surprisingly interesting. So, if any of you know there's a great "Cats and Giraffes festival" in some tiny town, or the World's biggest spoon -museum, or things like that, please let me know! Or anything you consider very typical for your area, that could be interesting for a foreigner to experience, I want to hear about it!

I also would like to know if there's an especially over-the-top tacky honey moon suite somewhere in Las vegas, as we're getting married there.  :P

We hope to use trains and buses as much as possible but if it's very much cheaper or faster we can also fly or rent a car for some journeys between destinations.

--- End quote ---

Ok, if you plan on spending just a few days in each, going by bus or train, then 4 weeks might get you from NY, DC, Miami and New Orleans.  NY to DC, easy trip by train.  DC to Miami, well, I think that is  a 2 day trip by train and even longer by bus.  Honestly, to hit all the main areas that you want to hit, and not flying, well, I don't believe it is possible, unless you stay on the train the whole time, just seeing the sites out the window.   

Since you are planning on getting married in Vegas, I would just stick to the west coast. 

jmarvellous:
I would personally skip Roswell. I planned a 2-week Texas-to-Arizona road trip that included a day there. We were totally done after about two, maybe three hours -- the museums and kitsch weren't enough to merit more than a drive-through, IMO.

There is lots of nothing between your stops, I agree. If I were you, I might do 1.5 weeks east (NY, DC and FL), 2.5 weeks west (CA and NV, because that'll include your wedding), and skip the middle (and I love the middle, and live there). That way there's plenty to see on a future trip!

DavidH:
I'm going to second the comments on Roswell, it's very small and 3 hours would,  I think, be the maximum time.  On the other hand, Carlsbad Caverns just south of there is very much worth seeing. 

On the subject of over the top honey moon suites, the Madonna Inn in San Louis Obispo CA is very much over the top and a about halfway from LA to SF (each room is different and the website is worth a look).  Hearst Castle is also near there and worth seeing. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version