A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Trans-Atlantic Knowledge Exchange

Spin off of a spin off - which movies form your nations collective identity?

(1/5) > >>

lollylegs:
I mentioned The Castle in the Hard to Explain Businesses thread, which lead to several posters quoting from the movie. This happens rather frequently over here.  The Castle is, in my opinion, one of the most faithful representations of Australian life - sure it's over the top, and it doesn't represent every facet of Australian living, but it's incredibly Australian at it's core.  I think every Aussie knows a Darryl Kerrigan.

What movies do you think provide a fairly accurate depcition of life in your country?  And also, which movies fail dismally? (*cough*Crocodile Dundee*cough*)

ETA And part of the reason I started this thread is so we could keep quoting The Castle. "We're goin to Bonnie Doon!"

Milash:
Haha, I immediately thought of the castle when I saw this thread topic. We quote it almost daily here at the milash household.

And.... " it's just the vibe of the thing your honor"

Thipu1:
This is a very interesting question.  It's also very difficult to address because Mr. Thipu and I can't figure out a film that would define the USA. 

We both agree that Ken Burns is wonderful at this sort of thing but his documentaries are presented in the form of a series.  His work gives a good feeling of the Anerican experience but you can't get it all at once.  Like the USA itself, things have to be taken one step at a time and one film can't get it all.

Silversurfer:
I was about to suggest The Castle for Australia!

kherbert05:

--- Quote from: Thipu1 on February 19, 2012, 03:18:05 PM ---This is a very interesting question.  It's also very difficult to address because Mr. Thipu and I can't figure out a film that would define the USA. 

We both agree that Ken Burns is wonderful at this sort of thing but his documentaries are presented in the form of a series.  His work gives a good feeling of the Anerican experience but you can't get it all at once.  Like the USA itself, things have to be taken one step at a time and one film can't get it all.

--- End quote ---
I agree Ken Burns documentary but I would add the shows by Rick Sebak he has done shorter quirky documentaries on things like hot dog shops, A Cemetery Special, Ice cream parlors, Sandwiches across the nation, and great old amusement parks.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0780904/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version