Author Topic: Ahh! I forgot Pancake Tuesday was this Tuesday.  (Read 926 times)

Nibsey

Ahh! I forgot Pancake Tuesday was this Tuesday.
« on: February 18, 2012, 01:20:45 PM »
So as the title goes I forgot about pancake tuesday (oops obvious haven't been going to church enough )
Anywho I usually makes passion fruit curd and raspberry sauce (just heating the raspberries in the microwave with some sugar) and then make homemade pancakes which i smother is said curd and sauce with cream.

However this year the cupboards are bare, I'm still in bits from getting my gallbladder out and someone burnt my pancake pan. So I'm going to be lazy and just buy pancakes.

So any suggestions about what to put on my pancakes that isn't too fatty (cause of the lack of gallbladder), at the moment all I can think of is lemon and sugar, maple syrup (which isn't practical because I only like the good stuff and not enough to buy a whole bottle for 1 day, I usually nick some from my mothers stash when I need it) or jam and butter.

So any better ideas? What are you guys doing?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 01:55:54 PM by Nibsey »
“I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.”- Douglas Adams
Éire (Ireland)

Fleur-de-Lis

• Dum Vivimus, Vivamus!
Re: Ahh! I forgot pancake tuesday was this week.
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 01:29:47 PM »
If I had a prayer of justifying the gadget and the cost, I would get an abelskiver pan. You might look for savoury topping suggestions on a Dutch heritage site.

I will be contemplating my options over the weekend.
•   Finally we shall place the Sun himself at the center of the Universe.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: Ahh! I forgot pancake tuesday was this week.
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 01:39:43 PM »
I'm doing lunch at work with a few others.  We don't have a stove top so I'm going to take my waffle iron in and make those.  I'll also take maple syrup with me (my family makes it).

One of the others is making some sort of apple topping, one is bringing blue and raspberries and the other person is bringing some juice to drink.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

doodlemor

Re: Ahh! I forgot Pancake Tuesday was this Tuesday.
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 02:33:37 PM »
Here is a Romanian pancake filling from The Eastern European Cookbook that is really delicious.

1 1/2 cups dry cottage cheese, drained of liquid [just use a 12 oz carton, and let it drain in a colander]
1/2 teas.  vanilla
1/2 cup sugar

Mix all together.

The recipe said to fill and roll the thin pancakes, folding the sides to enclose the filling.  It was recommended to put a dab of sour cream and some confectioner's sugar on top, and then warm in the oven.

I think that this would be good spooned on pancakes, and a bit of jam or spices would fancy it up a bit.

PS  I used to use diet cottage cheese for this.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 05:31:59 PM »
How about a blueberry topping.  Cook 1/2 cup blueberries mixed with 1/4 cup water till they begin to pop.  Mix 2 tsp cornstarrch with 1 tb cold water.  Add to blueberries with a few tb sugar, pinch of salt and a squeeze of lemon.  Cook till it becomes translucent.  Add in another 1/4 cup bluberries and serve.

You can do same with strawberries and frozen fruit works too.

Aggiesque

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 09:22:43 PM »
Jam!
Aggie

My favorite blog, which discusses personal finance: http://www.opinmoney.blogspot.com/

NyaChan

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 11:52:45 PM »
I like honey on pancakes sometimes.

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 11:02:42 AM »
Simples. Cut an orange into quarters and squeeze juice over hot pancake. Add a little butter and sugar, roll up the pancake and eat :D

You only need a tiny bit of butter. Alternatively you can use low fat spread. :)
Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Nibsey

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 11:12:01 AM »
Thanks guys. These are great easy ideas.

Simples. Cut an orange into quarters and squeeze juice over hot pancake. Add a little butter and sugar, roll up the pancake and eat :D

You only need a tiny bit of butter. Alternatively you can use low fat spread. :)

This sounds delicious.
“I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.”- Douglas Adams
Éire (Ireland)

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2012, 12:03:18 PM »
Thanks guys. These are great easy ideas.

This sounds delicious.

It is. Substitute lemon with whichever citrus fruit you like...lemon, lime, orange...whichever you want! :D Orange and lime is good!!!! :D
Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.