Author Topic: "Pink Stuff"  (Read 1442 times)

jennenen

"Pink Stuff"
« on: February 18, 2012, 05:49:04 PM »
Sadly when my grandmother passed away almost 20 years ago she took her recipe for "pink stuff" with her. We would have this every Passover, and most regular get togethers. I was hoping to surprise my family by making it, but as I haven't seen Grandma make it since 1994, I have no clue what I'm doing. It only had three ingredients, frozen strawberries, sugar, and egg whites (mom seems to think there were many egg whites). I believe it was frozen after it was done, if not it was at least refrigerated. It was very airy, I had found a similar recipe, but that one was a mousse, and was way more "creamy" which was the wrong texture entirely. If anyone is able to help I'd be forever indebted to you.

wheeitsme

Re: "Pink Stuff"
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 06:03:14 PM »

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 03:13:03 AM »
could it be this? I don't remember the source - i've been making this for years and years. it's really easy to make, and it really fluffs up in the food processer. it's nice, after all the egg- and nut-heavy passover cakes, to eat something that is light and airy, and yet a tad "fancier" than just plain fruit. I guess that's why we ate this on passover - there isnt any real reason not to eat it year-round, but we never do...

Strawberry Ice Cream , KLP, parve

1 egg white
to 1 cup sugar (depends on how sweet the strawberries are)
few drops of fresh lemon juice, optional
1 lb fresh strawberries, clean, dry, hulled

throw it all in the mixer or food processor, beat until it's pink, and very fluffy. freeze.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

jennenen

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 12:17:00 PM »
Those both sound similar, so I may have to do some experimenting. My mom now tells me she thinks there's Cool Whip in the recipe. She was very insistent that it's frozen strawberries and not fresh though.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 12:21:38 PM »
could it be this? I don't remember the source - i've been making this for years and years. it's really easy to make, and it really fluffs up in the food processer. it's nice, after all the egg- and nut-heavy passover cakes, to eat something that is light and airy, and yet a tad "fancier" than just plain fruit. I guess that's why we ate this on passover - there isnt any real reason not to eat it year-round, but we never do...

Strawberry Ice Cream , KLP, parve

1 egg white
to 1 cup sugar (depends on how sweet the strawberries are)
few drops of fresh lemon juice, optional
1 lb fresh strawberries, clean, dry, hulled

throw it all in the mixer or food processor, beat until it's pink, and very fluffy. freeze.

I noticed a pint of strawberries in my fridge this morning that needs to be used.  I'm off to go make this... thanks

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 12:39:55 PM »
Those both sound similar, so I may have to do some experimenting. My mom now tells me she thinks there's Cool Whip in the recipe. She was very insistent that it's frozen strawberries and not fresh though.

well the frozen vs. fresh may just be a question of availability - i live in israel, and fresh strawberries are usually available around passover time, and frozen strawberries are less common.

howefver, i was wondering if the recipe is the one that calls for one non-dairy whipped cream + 1 small container of frozen lemon or mango (or other) juice concentrate - you just whipe them together in a food processor/blender and freeze.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

lowspark

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 03:29:53 PM »
I have a recipe at home that I made a couple of years ago that sounds like it might be the one. No cool whip though and fresh strawberries.

I'll confirm this tonight but what I remember is taking two egg whites some sugar and beating them in the KA mixer. You beat them for a very long time until they pretty much grow into enough to fill the bowl, adding the sliced strawberries along the way.

It makes a huge amount but it's very very light and airy and very pink.

I specifically remember it was two egg whites though because I remember my son marveling at the transfomation in volume - it was huge.

Marga

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 10:03:51 AM »
The recipe with egg whites and strawberries reminded me of a classic from my country. It's easy, quick, looks great and is very light. I know 2 egg whites is plenty, don't ask me about the quantities of sugar or red currant juice, because I've never measured it out.
Get all ingredients out in time, including glasses or bowls and make sure the eggs are room temperature. Have your dinner.
Tell people you'll be back in 5 minutes. Return to the kitchen, beat 2 egg whites and some sugar until stiff.
Ask any children in the house if they want to see something cool and gather them around you.
Now slowly add red currant juice, while you keep beating the egg whites. Marvel together at the volume it expands to. Keep adding juice (less than a cup) until you see that some of it gathers at the bottom of the bowl, because it can't be incorporated in the egg whites anymore.
Spoon into pretty bowls or glasses and serve straight away. If using glasses you could decorate them with some sugar around the edge before filling them.

lowspark

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 10:19:20 AM »
I've got the recipe... it's actually from gellchom who posts on eHell but I got it from her on another forum about cooking.

1 pint fresh strawberries, sliced and slightly sugared
3/4 cup sugar
2 egg whites
1 T fresh lemon juice
dash of salt
3T sweet red wine

Use your biggest bowl; this will grow like you wouldn't believe!
Beat egg whites until stiff; add sugar and beat until stiff (it turns into marshmallow fluff consistency after sugar is added). While beating at low speed, toss in strawberries, lemon juice, wine, and salt. Start at low speed and increase greadually, beating for 15 minutes. Either spoon it into a 3 qt. bowl (I find it fits perfectly into my big trifle dish) or individual foil cup cake containers. Freeze overnight.
Garnish with strawberries or shaved chocolate or nuts.

NyaChan

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 12:32:03 AM »
I've got the recipe... it's actually from gellchom who posts on eHell but I got it from her on another forum about cooking.

1 pint fresh strawberries, sliced and slightly sugared
3/4 cup sugar
2 egg whites
1 T fresh lemon juice
dash of salt
3T sweet red wine

Use your biggest bowl; this will grow like you wouldn't believe!
Beat egg whites until stiff; add sugar and beat until stiff (it turns into marshmallow fluff consistency after sugar is added). While beating at low speed, toss in strawberries, lemon juice, wine, and salt. Start at low speed and increase greadually, beating for 15 minutes. Either spoon it into a 3 qt. bowl (I find it fits perfectly into my big trifle dish) or individual foil cup cake containers. Freeze overnight.
Garnish with strawberries or shaved chocolate or nuts.

Tried it the other night for a Girl's Evening In - it was really good!  Like ice cream, but without the guilt  :D