Author Topic: Vegetarian Dinner Guest tonight - help!  (Read 1316 times)

ShadesOfGrey

• Super Hero!
Vegetarian Dinner Guest tonight - help!
« on: February 19, 2012, 09:18:03 AM »
Hey guys,
Yesterday, I invited a relative over for dinner tonight (spur of the moment thing). Only after did I remember that this relative recently went vegetarian.  I also offered for them to bring a guest, who I have no idea if they are vegetarian or not...

I thought I had this under control, but now I'm questioning myself... Here's my menu, can you critique it for me?

Snacks to start
cheese/humus & crackers
Carrots/snowpeas/dip

Starter
Bruchetta
Tomato or Squash soup

Main
Eggplant Ratatouille: http://southernfood.about.com/od/eggplantrecipes/r/bl00810c.htm
(I have pasta and sauce as a backup in case they dont like it or it comes out poorly)
Brown rice w/ Quinoa
They also offered to bring something themselves - not sure exactly what it is, but some sort of salad-y type dish, though it's not a salad exactly.

Dessert
carrot cake, chocolate cake, cheesecake (I only have 1-2 servings of each, haha. This is a close relative who recently went vegetarian, so they'll be ok with the casualness of just having slices available!)

Do I need to add anything? Does it "go" together ok?

Thanks for any insight!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 09:24:02 AM by DigitalPumpkin46 »
Words mean more than what is set down on paper. It takes the human voice to infuse them with shades of deeper meaning. - Maya Angelou

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
Re: Vegetarian Dinner Guest tonight - help!
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 09:30:44 AM »
Looks good to me. And I'm an omnivore.
Now our mom says she's changed her mind about the devil's brood, they may be evil so she thinks, but at least they're never rude...
                                        -- Big Rude Jake

My travel blog: http://www.stepmonster.ca

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 09:34:57 AM »
Sounds good to me.

apple

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 11:04:49 AM »
Sounds delicious to me!

I think you can't go wrong with Ratatouille; it's a pretty foolproof dish.

I would choose squash soup over tomato (since tomatoes are in the main dish). Also, I love squash soup.

Bast

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 11:14:48 AM »
That menu sounds beyond delicious!
"They may forget your name but they will never forget how you made them feel." ~Maya Angelou

JillyJ

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 11:41:00 AM »
I agree with the others.  Sounds great!

QueenofAllThings

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 03:58:13 PM »
Go with the squash soup. If you make it yourself, remember to use vegetable broth.

It's perfectly OK to have meat if there are omnivores (you, for example) that would like it - just have it separate from the veggie offerings. If you want chicken for your other guests, you can go ahead and serve it.

If you aren't going to serve the quinoa, consider a minestrone or other bean soup for protein (then again, you have the hummus, so you should be good).

ShadesOfGrey

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 05:00:19 PM »
Thanks guys! raratoullie. Cooking now and.it smells.great! I'll let you know how they like.it.
Words mean more than what is set down on paper. It takes the human voice to infuse them with shades of deeper meaning. - Maya Angelou

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou

ShadesOfGrey

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 08:34:42 PM »
It went wonderfully! I found snowpeas to add to the starters, so we had some Color which was nice. Then we had the soup and I added.a.bit of bruchetta/red.pepper spread on toasted bread.  My.relative brought some swiss.chard marinated in oil snd.hot pepper, so I felt like it was a bit better rounded.

The ratatouille came out ok-i think I could.have added more seasoning to it.   But overall a great evening. Thanks for the encouragement!