Author Topic: Just Plain Tacky: Public Ultrasound !!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 28251 times)

Asharah

Just Plain Tacky: Public Ultrasound !!!!!!!!!!!
« on: August 01, 2007, 10:48:30 PM »
My friend, Amy, is married to Bill. Bill's younger brother, Chuck, is married to another woman, Dolly. Bill & Chuck are very close, so Amy has always felt compelled to try and have a close relationship with Dolly. I don't particularly like Dolly because she's a giant attention whore, but Amy is a much nicer person than I am. Dolly is pregnant now and seems to think she's the only woman in the history of the world to conceive a child. Amy, meanwhile, has been trying to get pregnant, but thus far no dice.

Last week Amy & Bill got an invitation from Chuck & Dolly to a "viewing". Amy didn't understand what it was for, she just put it aside. A few days later, she got an irate call from Dolly wanting to know why she hadn't responded to the invitation; the "viewing" place was around the corner from Amy & Bill's house. So Amy, being the slight doormat that she is, said she & Bill would come to whatever this "viewing" was.

The day came, and Amy & Bill drove to what they thought was some kind of prenatal clinic. But there were at least 20 family members loitering in the lobby, so what could it be? They were all ushered into a home theater type of room with a big 50" flat screen on the wall. Then Chuck & Dolly showed up and Dolly proceeded to flop her pregnant self onto this cot. Music started playing and the lights went down. In walked some random person with an ultrasound machine. Suddenly Dolly snatched her shirt up and proceeded to have an ultrasound right there. The thing was projected onto the flat screen. The entire family started to ooh and aah as they were all treated to 4D ultrasound pics of the baby. The tech poked Dolly on various sides of her belly to make the baby move around. It went on for 20 minutes and then the tech bellowed out, "IT'S A BOY!" Everyone swooned and squealed with delight, but Amy was shocked. The lights came back up and the tech went on his way. Then some salesperson came in and offered DVD copies of the ultrasound for the low low price of $19.99. Dolly sidled up to Amy and demanded she buy a copy. Thank goodness Amy stood her ground on that one and said no. Dolly then pulled her aside and said, "Aren't you pregnant YET!?" Stunned, Amy said that she wasn't and Dolly said, "Oh well, maybe one day... it was so easy for Chuck and I though; I can't imagine what's taking you so long."   What a lovely person!

PlainTacky0529-07

Asharah's comment: The public ultrasound would have simply qualified as tacky. The "Aren't you pregnant YET!?" earns Dolly a place on the barbeque spit roasting over the fires of E-Hell!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 10:51:43 PM by Asharah »
Asharah

Psykogrl

Re: Just Plain Tacky: Public Ultrasound !!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 10:51:21 PM »
This story just goes beyond bizarre to me... Yeah, I've heard of people showing ultrasound pictures... and I've even seen a few, and I can't make out anything (well, I KNOW its a baby, but I can't tell heads from tails lol)

All I thought when I read this was "What a bunch of weirdos"

Ondine

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 02:34:15 AM »
Yeah, Dolly's a piece of work all right.... I can only imagine what happens when Amy does get pregnant. What's next, a public viewing of how Dolly and Chuck conceived?

BethanyAnne

• "It's like teaching Lincoln to use an Iphone."
    • Myspace
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 09:25:49 AM »
Yeah, Dolly's a piece of work all right.... I can only imagine what happens when Amy does get pregnant. What's next, a public viewing of how Dolly and Chuck conceived?

Ewwwwwwwwwww!!!!!! :-\

Clara Bow

• Super Hero!
  • I gotta go.
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 09:57:09 AM »

So THAT'S what chuckanddollylove.com is....
I have finally found the bar I can't get thrown out of....

kingsrings

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2007, 11:33:26 AM »
"Look everyone!! It's my uterus!!!!"

Really, this story just sounds too far-out to be true. It is extremely funny, though.  ;D

thedoglady

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2007, 02:06:15 PM »
I wonder if they will have a webcam set up at the birth....   >:D

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2007, 02:21:40 PM »

Really, this story just sounds too far-out to be true. It is extremely funny, though.  ;D

I dunno, there are places that do 'for fun' ultrasounds -- it doesn't seem that far-fetched that one of these places would have a 'home theater system'...

NEDESAPIO

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2007, 03:37:37 PM »
I hope this story isn't true.

retreadbride

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2007, 04:02:24 PM »
I'm amazed that couple didn't try to sell tickets to their conception.

Visiting Crazy Town

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2007, 05:20:37 PM »
the worse part is i think thatthis story s true because i have heard of  people haveing video made to show at their baby showers

Shay

snowflake

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2007, 06:22:22 PM »
Birthing is a major industry.  Before I tried to get pregnant, I didn't know that...

People expect to see professional, posed pictures of the bare nine-month belly.  If you say "not for me" it's like you're skipping Prom pictures or something.

There are companies that will preserve the umbilical cord.  Yes, the stump that falls off is put in a jar.  This is not about saving the blood for stem cells.  Let's say it all together... EEEEEEEEWWWWWWWW!!

There are places that will splice all your ultrasound videos, birthing videos, and first moments into a tear-jerker of a film.  OK, I know there is no modesty in the birthing room.  But do I need to see my friend's crotches set to cheesy music? 

Someone I know just gave birth after $80,000 and five miscarraiges.  She has had every single positive pregnancy test (you know the home ones you PEE on?) artfully framed in shadow boxes, with proper lighting, and displayed on her wall.  I'm happy for her, but can you imagine showing that to your child?  "These babies didn't make it.  You did."  Way to start the complexes early!

And for us unlucky infertile people, we can scrapbook our way through infertility!  Yes!  It's pushed as a way to "cope with the emotions and preserve them."  Anyone who has been super-ovulated knows that the feelings need to be buried in a deep, dark hole in the woods and NEVER seen again!

As far as this story goes, it didn't surprise me.  I have been near the baby industry (even though we haven't gotten lucky yet) long enough to know that there are some CRAZY ways of making money off of it.  I suppose the "viewers" should be happy that the ultrasound was external, not trans-vaginal!

retreadbride

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2007, 10:31:38 PM »
Snowflake....that's just....unbelievable.....

I agree with Jeff Foxworthy. If you want to tape your wife's conception, be prepared for her to tape your hemorrhoid surgery. "Oh, there's Tony fully dilated. What a trooper he was...."

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2007, 11:06:34 PM »

I believe it.  So many first-time-pregnant couples these days seem to think that no one else in the universe has managed to conceive and carry a pregnancy to a successful conclusion.  That's why there's this proliferation of "entertainment" ultrasound clinics, for the expectant parents and anyone else who manages to get roped-along to attend the awe-inspiring view of the foetus.  By "entertainment", it's my understanding that these facilities require that you must have had a medical-ultrasound first - they don't want to be the ones to suddenly find a possible birth-defect (I think they're perfectly correct with this).

Maybe things have changed but 20 years ago for a clear ultrasound picture (it would probably look pretty primitive these days)  they required a very full bladder.  So the whole time the tech and/or radiologist would be saying "see, there's the spine, there's the feet, there's the head" I'd be thinking "that's nice, but can we finish this, I'd got to go NOW!"

kingsrings

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2007, 11:09:20 AM »
snowflake, that was very entertaining, thanks for sharing that! And you confirmed what I've always been wondering about-that some kooky people do indeed save the pregnancy test as a keepsake. But framing it on the wall?? Now that is truly disgusting. "Hey everyone, here is my pee-pee!!". I have also heard of people actually videotaping finding out the pregnancy test results. Where does it end-are people also going to save their baby's first dirty diaper? How about having it bronzed, as is done for baby shoes?

And I have one more disgusting thing I have heard about some parents doing, but first I am going to give a warning first cause it's really bad

GROSS ALERT

I read somewhere long ago that some parents actually eat their baby's placenta. Yup, no kidding. I guess because it is full of nutrients.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 11:15:25 AM by kingsrings »