General Etiquette > Etiquette Hell Classics

Wicked Witches Of Wedding: Way To Go Mom, Make A Ten-Year-Old Cry

<< < (3/3)

Hollanda:
Are you sure this is not my mother?! Seriously, this sounds like the stunt she'd pull. I used to joke about with people at that age, too (10 is a great age to start testing out your sense of humour). My mother didn't think it was funny, despite my brother and Dad thinking I was extremely funny.  Example here - nothing to do with a wedding. I washed a neighbour's car with her DD. The mum gave us 1 each for helping. I took it home, so proud of myself...my mother flew off the handle and insisted I take. It. Back. Right now. And made me promise (after a smack on the bottom) that I would never, repeat never, take money from her friends or anyone else, again.  Needless to say, I didn't.  I was kept in the house for the rest of the week, which was the remainder of the summer...I remember winter started the week after, so I couldn't go outside to play even though I was allowed to (it was too wet and windy for me to want to).

Back on topic, I really feel for the OP. I, too, burst into humiliated tears and ended up feeling I had done something unforgivable and unpardonable by helping a neighbour with a task and getting a reward for it.  :( It's so sad. I hope that girl's mother realised after the event that she was too harsh. Weddings are stressful events, but there is no need to react like that!

JocelynCS:
Unfortunately, there are parents in this world who will take out their stress on their children because the children are powerless to stand up to it.  Sounds like this is what Mom was doing here - unloading on her defenseless daughter since she couldn't scream at someone else. 

My mother used to do that - scream herself purple for something relatively minor until I just stood there and sobbed.  She'd rave like a lunatic until she got her stress out of her system.  Episodes like that leave a scar that never fully heals. 

Winterlight:
I think someone should have put Mom in time out. Poor kid.

Queen of Clubs:

--- Quote from: JocelynCS on March 09, 2012, 12:22:45 PM ---My mother used to do that - scream herself purple for something relatively minor until I just stood there and sobbed.  She'd rave like a lunatic until she got her stress out of her system.  Episodes like that leave a scar that never fully heals.

--- End quote ---

Talk about a flashback!  My mum did this too.  Fun, huh?

As for that poor kid, I think it's even worse that not only did her mom do this to her, but she must have spread her version around the family as they all believe the kid was hustling people for money.  I know (from personal experience - thanks again, Mum!) that it makes it hard to deal with your family when they're believing the worst of you due to lies your own mother is spreading around.  I wouldn't be surprised if the original poster has issues with her family and they're all just thinking she's an awkward person to deal with. >:(

CaffeineKatie:
Oh lordy, is this scenario familiar!  My mom used to do the same kind of thing to me, frequently.  It's 50 years later, and I'm still don't trust her; being routinely belittled and thrown under the bus does make lasting scars.  That poor child...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version