General Etiquette > Etiquette Hell Classics

Wicked Witches Of Wedding: Way To Go Mom, Make A Ten-Year-Old Cry

<< < (2/3) > >>

Yvaine:

--- Quote from: Outdoor Girl on February 22, 2012, 11:24:17 AM ---I agree that the uncle was not at fault here.  The OP knew he was joking.

--- End quote ---

OK, I can see that. It all depends on whether the uncle knew whether the child would know it was a joke, and it sounds like he probably did, so no foul there. I think I'm projecting some people I've known who would give no indication that they were joking and then do a "gotcha" later.

NyaChan:
This actually happened to a cousin of mine at a wedding.  At our weddings a small package of almonds, crystalized sugar, and candy are passed out to the guests, and Cousin had been given a basket to take around.  His dad, a well known jokester, told him to charge the guests for the favors.  Well Cousin was really young, maybe 5/6 & actually went around charging people.  Came back after a bit really excited and showed his dad $5 in loose change/dollars.  His dad looked shocked for a moment, and then told Cousin he had been kidding and he couldn't believe that Cousin had actually gone around and asked for money.  To his credit, he did so while half-laughing to show he wasn't angry and apologized that he hadn't been clear that he was kidding.  He told Cousin to see if he could give the money back to people & explain, but no one would take money from such a cute kid  ;)

Emmy:
This story makes me very angry.  I feel very bad for the OP.  The mom completely flew off the handle, didn't listen to the poor girl, and lied to her to guilt trip her by saying she ruined the wedding.  To make it even worse, she had her little tirade in front of other people which must have been very humiliating for the poor girl.  Even if a child did do something wrong, a good parent would pull them aside to reprimand them and not subject them to public humilation.   

Of course the mom only decides to keep her mouth shut when it comes to telling the true story of what happened.  How unfair that OP's extended family thinks she was the one hustling at the wedding all those years ago.  I don't think the uncle was at fault for causing the problem (the mom is at fault for that), but I would put blame on him if he knew the extended family thought the OP was hustling and didn't explain what actually happened.

DottyG:
I agree that the uncle wasn't at fault.  The OP clearly knew they were joking with each other.

I also wanted to comment on this as a tangent:

--- Quote ---he probably just wanted to 'tip' the little girl stuck at the signing table
--- End quote ---

We've had a thread on this before in the past.  I know it might not be something that's done outside the Southern US (or even just in the part of the Southern US that I'm in), but the little girl probably wasn't "stuck" at the table.  She was a part of the "house party" of the wedding.  It's as much of an honor to be a part of that as it is to be asked to be other parts of the wedding party - bridesmaid, groomsman, usher, etc.

Jones:

--- Quote from: DottyG on February 27, 2012, 03:47:25 PM ---I agree that the uncle wasn't at fault.  The OP clearly knew they were joking with each other.

I also wanted to comment on this as a tangent:

--- Quote ---he probably just wanted to 'tip' the little girl stuck at the signing table
--- End quote ---

We've had a thread on this before in the past.  I know it might not be something that's done outside the Southern US (or even just in the part of the Southern US that I'm in), but the little girl probably wasn't "stuck" at the table.  She was a part of the "house party" of the wedding.  It's as much of an honor to be a part of that as it is to be asked to be other parts of the wedding party - bridesmaid, groomsman, usher, etc.

--- End quote ---

We do that in my neck of the woods too (Rocky Mountains in the US).

I feel for the 10 year old, as someone who was accused of doing something she didn't and not allowed to explain herself; I had that problem when I was a kid. Now I am accused of giving too much trust and leeway to my daughter, as I always listen to her side of everything. Suffice to say I can live with those allegations.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version