Author Topic: Asked to switch shifts....  (Read 3956 times)

robobecky

Asked to switch shifts....
« on: February 20, 2012, 11:30:10 PM »
Got an email today from a coworker.  She works 8:30a-4:30pm and I work 4:30p-12:30am.  We both work from home.  She told me she was pregnant with kiddo #2 and was wondering if I would be willing to switch shifts with her so that she and her hubby would not have to pay for childcare for 2 kids.  A switch would be bad for me for 2 reasons.  1-I am a night owl, that why I wanted to work nights in the first place.  2-It would actually be a significant pay cut, because we get paid over $2 per hour extra for working nights and I would lose that if I switched to days.  Thats over $80 per week.

In the past I would have felt obligated to accomadate her request, just because she asked me to, and would have felt horribly guilty if I said no.  Today I was able to email her back saying congrats on the new baby, but that won't be possible, for the reasons listed above.  And not feel guilty about it :)  This wesite is working!

Goodness

Re: Asked to switch shifts....
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 11:55:29 PM »
Congrats, Robobecky!  Way to go!

atirial

• just 'plane mad
    • Tirial & Errror blog
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 01:53:20 AM »
Congratulations! Politely declining is never rude, it just isn't always easy to remember that.

nuit93

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 02:10:07 AM »
Good for you!

BeagleMommy

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 12:24:36 PM »
Congrats!  Feels good, doesn't it!

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 03:32:13 PM »
Congratulations!  It always feels good to exercise that polite spine!
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Raintree

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 12:13:56 AM »
Good, good, good. It was reasonable of her to ask (maybe you had been wishing for the morning shift all along) but it was also reasonable of you to say no.