Author Topic: Distances  (Read 6394 times)

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
Re: Distances
« Reply #60 on: March 10, 2012, 08:37:46 AM »

During one holiday in the US, DH and I drove for 6 hours straight (only stopping for petrol) and went through 2-3 different states.  Here in Australia that wouldn't even get you out of one state in some cases.  In the outback it can take many hours to drive between neighbouring properties.

Were you in the eastern side of the US? The states there are smaller than the states out West. I think it takes about a day of driving, so 12 or 13 hours, to get across Texas from east to west. But I can drive from Connecticut through Massachusetts and New Hampshire into Maine in less than 4 hours.

It also depends where you are driving.  I can be in Canada within a couple of hours or drive for 7 hours and still be in Michigan.

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #61 on: March 10, 2012, 09:00:07 AM »
It also depends where you are driving.  I can be in Canada within a couple of hours or drive for 7 hours and still be in Michigan.

Yeah; drive south and I'm in Mexico in about an hour. Drive north and it'll take 8 hours or more to hit another state. But on the plus side if you drive North you can stop by and see the Grand Canyon.

Bethczar

« Reply #62 on: March 10, 2012, 10:01:41 PM »
I don't think much of getting up on a holiday getting in the car and driving 3 hours to to Austin or San Antonio do some tourist things and come back home.

Yup. I do that all the time. My son is at the University of Texas in Austin and we travel 3 hours from Houston, spend the day with him, and return home in the evening a couple of times a semester.

We also travel to San Marcos (also a three hour trip) a couple of times a year for some heavy duty outlet mall shopping (they have something like 300 stores there) and return in the same day.

I know three hours each way sounds like a pretty long distance to some, depending on where you live. But from my perspective, it's not worth getting a hotel room for.

I have just moved to City A, 3.5 hours away from my previous city, City B.  I was allowed to keep my job and work from home, as long as I drive in to City B one day a week. It's totally worth it to me.

DaisyG

« Reply #63 on: March 13, 2012, 06:55:06 AM »
I live in South London, UK. It takes about an hour to get to my office (12 miles away) on my motorbike, but since I've been taking the train recently, sometimes it can take two hours to get home if I miss connections. IMHO, an average commute here is around 1-1.5 hours each way.

I have also spent time on the north and south coasts of Spain, and people are amazed that I never visited Madrid. They obviously thought it could be done as a day trip although it's really over 500km which would take 5-6 hours, and at the time I was studying and had a job.