Author Topic: Mistaken Song Lyrics.  (Read 8442 times)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Mistaken Song Lyrics.
« on: February 21, 2012, 11:44:49 AM »
We've done this before but not for at least a year.  It may be time for a new version.

There's a name for these things.  They're called Mondergreens. The term comes from an old Scottish ballad in which it is said that--

'They killed Sir Patrick Spencer and they laid him on the green.'
Over the years, 'laid him on the green' morphed into 'Lady Mondergreen', thus the term and the death of a mysterious woman.

There's a current advertisement that involves very adventurous rock climbing.  I've been hearing the final, triumphant music as, 'Somebody ate the potatoes' and that just didn't make sense. 
Mr. Thipu gently informed me that the actual lyric is, 'Somebody left the gate open'.  That makes sense.

Everybody has a Mondergreen or two to relate.  Let's have a bit of late winter fun

jayhawk

• my organizing website
Re: Mistaken Song Lyrics.
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 01:00:42 PM »
I know that ad. I hear "Somebody left the gate open" but wondered if those were the correct lyrics, because i don't get that either!  Btw, i get dizzy just seeing her on that rock.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 01:04:36 PM »
When my brother was little (around 5-6) he mistook the song "Mr. Jones and Me" to be "Mr. Chocolatey".  I have to admit I kinda liked his version better. *chuckle*

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 02:00:02 PM »
"We Are Family" by Sister Sledge...

"Just let me state for the reckon" became, to my 10 year old ears, "Just let me staple the Vicar." I spent a great deal of my formative years trying to work out how you staple a church leader and more importantly, what the poor man had done to deserve it.
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 02:04:08 PM »
I do recall a song that was sometimes sung in church during my larval stages.  It seemed to be about a denizen of the forest who had a cheerful name but an unfortunate visual problem.  To my mind, the song was, 'Gladly the Cross-Eyed Bear'.

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 02:06:44 PM »
I do recall a song that was sometimes sung in church during my larval stages.  It seemed to be about a denizen of the forest who had a cheerful name but an unfortunate visual problem.  To my mind, the song was, 'Gladly the Cross-Eyed Bear'.

I love that one. :D

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 02:33:34 PM »
From that commercial with the guy singing karaoke instead of going on dating sites- the line "My hairline is receding but I'm getting a Wii", but my brain wants it to be "My hairline is receding but I'm getting a weave", which makes sense, in a hilarious sort of way.
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

travestine

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 03:21:24 PM »
There's a song by Metric called "Sick Muse".

The lyric is "Everybody everybody wants to fall in love, everybody everybody wants to PLAY THE LEAD"

I always thought she sang "Everybody everybody wants to PLAY THE WII"!

I like my version better!
"A "no" uttered from the deepest conviction is better than a "yes" merely uttered to please, or worse, to avoid trouble."
  Mahatma Ghandi

Momiitz

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 03:56:21 PM »
"Hold me closer tiny dancer"

I think it's a lyric in a song by Elton John. For the longest time I heard "hold me closer tony danza". It still makes me laugh when I hear it on the radio.

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 04:11:05 PM »
I saw this one on a website. Someone thought that The Beatles' "Ticket to Ride" was called "Stick in her eye"...

She's got a stick in her eye and she don't care...

I think I'd care if I had a twig hanging out of my eye.

Betelnut

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 04:27:00 PM »
From that commercial with the guy singing karaoke instead of going on dating sites- the line "My hairline is receding but I'm getting a Wii", but my brain wants it to be "My hairline is receding but I'm getting a weave", which makes sense, in a hilarious sort of way.

That isn't what he is saying?  Because that's what I thought he said...
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2012, 04:30:51 PM »

That isn't what he is saying?  Because that's what I thought he said...

"My hairline is receding but I'm getting a weave" is the right line. Weave = hairweave to fix his receding hairline.

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

GreenHall

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 04:43:41 PM »
a long long time ago (Senior year of high school) I was on a school trip and we were listening to 'oldies' and I hadn't heard a lot of these songs before.   I still thing 'Brass Miracle Ring' makes as much as 'Raspberry Beret'.
...only other music I remember from that trip is Celine Dion 'My Heart Will go On'....made the oldies much more bearable....

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2012, 04:51:26 PM »
Well, either way works. ;)
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

readingchick

• Trivia Buff
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2012, 05:21:01 PM »
I think a certain AC-DC song goes "Dirty Deeds Done to Sheep". I've even convinced my SO that's how it goes.