Author Topic: Mistaken Song Lyrics.  (Read 10218 times)

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
Re: Mistaken Song Lyrics.
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2012, 05:27:39 PM »
I do recall a song that was sometimes sung in church during my larval stages.  It seemed to be about a denizen of the forest who had a cheerful name but an unfortunate visual problem.  To my mind, the song was, 'Gladly the Cross-Eyed Bear'.

I love that one. :D

We usually never sang that in church, but once Mr. Sirius and I went to a quarterly meeting and one of the hymns had this line in it:  "The consecrated cross I'd bear."  It reminded me of a story from one of the Anguished English books about a little girl singing about a "constipated cross-eyed bear" and her mother asking her Sunday School teacher, "What are you teaching the children?"  Mr. Sirius and I were trying not to giggle. 

A similar story: 

When my younger sister was about 5 or so, we were in an Easter Sunday service.  Little Sis couldn't read yet, but she was standing between me and Older Sis, singing at the top of her lungs: 

"He arose!  He arose!  Oh, my goodness, Christ arose!" 

Older Sis and I lost it, resulting in That Look from our mother. 

JennJenn68

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2012, 05:30:54 PM »

"He arose!  He arose!  Oh, my goodness, Christ arose!" 

Egad.  I should not drink and read at the same time.  My G-and-T ended up snorted all over the monitor... Now I'll be able to think of nothing else when I'm trying to play the organ at church on Easter Sunday--thanks a bunch! ;D

ydpubs

• Has a fine singing voice.
  • Reading the threads here makes me hungry.
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2012, 09:04:47 PM »
I think a certain AC-DC song goes "Dirty Deeds Done to Sheep". I've even convinced my SO that's how it goes.

Dirty Deeds Done with Sheep. HAHAHAH!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCRE9qOgbug
No matter where you go, there you are...

emeraldsage85

• Proud auntie of Owen!
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2012, 09:41:42 PM »
I do recall a song that was sometimes sung in church during my larval stages.  It seemed to be about a denizen of the forest who had a cheerful name but an unfortunate visual problem.  To my mind, the song was, 'Gladly the Cross-Eyed Bear'.

This reminds me of Alanis Morissette's You Oughta Know. "The cross I bear that you give to me" was heard as "the cross-eyed bear" to a lot of people.

buvezdevin

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2012, 09:55:57 PM »
This one is less amusing than the prior posts (I lurv "cross-eyed bear", really changes the imagery), but I will admit to a slight OCD moment recently when we had a "classics - American standards" music channel playing - side note, with all due respect, the songs chosen for the playlist might or might not meet many folks definition of "classic standards" but we have "discovered" some we like - so...

The song lyric I *heard* as the refrain was "weaker than wine".  I am grateful that only DBF was present to hear me extrapolate on how that made no sense, as wine wasn't "weak".  And then we shortly looked at the displayed song title which was "weaker than wise".  Okay, so my ability to discern lyrics is weakened *by* wine...
Never refuse to do a kindness unless the act would work great injury to yourself, and never refuse to take a drink -- under any circumstances.
Mark Twain

Isometric

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2012, 10:04:54 PM »
"Hold me closer tiny dancer"

I think it's a lyric in a song by Elton John. For the longest time I heard "hold me closer tony danza". It still makes me laugh when I hear it on the radio.

Ya, me too!

"Let's pee in the corner, let's pee in the spotlight" - Losing my Religion REM ("That's me in the corner, that's me in the spotlight")

Kaora

• I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2012, 10:49:00 PM »
This is probably one I could contribute to, have I not a stuffed up head at the moment, I'd remember more.  If I do, I'll post them. :)

Off the top of my head, there's an 80's song called Our Lips Are Sealed.  I used to think "Who was the Ally McBeal person they were talking about?"

I can also, never, ever, EVER, remember the right lyrics for Under The Sea from The Little Mermaid.  I try to recite them, all I can think of is:

Under the sea
Under the sea

Life is so better
It tastes like cheddar
Lunch is on me!

...I personally like my version. :)

JonGirl

• I'm a JonGirl forever.
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBAa6CvY-TQ
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2012, 02:35:54 AM »

"Take Me To The River, watch me drown"
is not correct!!  :D
Stewart/Colbert '16

Irishkitty

• Ce la vie
    • Cards and Crafts by Carol
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2012, 05:18:21 AM »
This one is less amusing than the prior posts (I lurv "cross-eyed bear", really changes the imagery), but I will admit to a slight OCD moment recently when we had a "classics - American standards" music channel playing - side note, with all due respect, the songs chosen for the playlist might or might not meet many folks definition of "classic standards" but we have "discovered" some we like - so...

The song lyric I *heard* as the refrain was "weaker than wine".  I am grateful that only DBF was present to hear me extrapolate on how that made no sense, as wine wasn't "weak".  And then we shortly looked at the displayed song title which was "weaker than wise".  Okay, so my ability to discern lyrics is weakened *by* wine...

I always heard it as weaker than wine too!
Ireland
Check out my handmade cards -
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CardsnCraftsbyCarol

Gyburc

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2012, 07:00:52 AM »
I think a certain AC-DC song goes "Dirty Deeds Done to Sheep". I've even convinced my SO that's how it goes.

Dirty Deeds Done with Sheep. HAHAHAH!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCRE9qOgbug

;D

DH has ruined quite a few metal songs for me by passing on Mondergreens...

Bruce Dickinson's 'The Real World' is now 'The Mealworm'
Metallica's 'Of Wolf and Man' apparently contains the word 'sheep-****', not 'shape-shift' (apologies for the asterisks)
Iron Maiden's 'Number of the Beast' definitely contains the line 'I saw my Walkman looking back at me' (should be 'warped mind')

The one that I gave myself is from Queensryche's 'The Road to Madness'. I had to check the lyrics online... The line is 'Black - the door was locked, I opened.' Except it isn't. Geoff Tate very clearly sings 'Like a dough was quiz-locked Alpen'.

...and I love Gladly the Cross-Eyed Bear.

;D
When you look into the photocopier, the photocopier also looks into you

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2012, 09:23:35 AM »
Back in the 1950s my mother was mystified by 'Only the Lonely'.  She couldn't figure out why such a pretty song should be called, 'Tony Baloney'.

wx4caster

• Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
    • wx4caster's Crafty Albums
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2012, 12:50:57 PM »
"Ra ra refugee, lover of the dancing queen, ..."   :P

There are many others but that's the only one I can remember at the moment.
The days are long but the years are short.

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2012, 02:20:42 AM »
There's a current advertisement that involves very adventurous rock climbing.  I've been hearing the final, triumphant music as, 'Somebody ate the potatoes' and that just didn't make sense. 

I hear that as, 'Somebody let the gale down'.  I would rather she didn't get hit by a windstorm.

I hear Ronald singing, ' My hairline is receding but I'm getting a wig.'

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2012, 11:18:15 AM »
There's a current advertisement that involves very adventurous rock climbing.  I've been hearing the final, triumphant music as, 'Somebody ate the potatoes' and that just didn't make sense. 

I hear that as, 'Somebody let the gale down'.  I would rather she didn't get hit by a windstorm.

I hear Ronald singing, ' My hairline is receding but I'm getting a wig.'

I hear, 'Getting a wig' as well but 'weave' probably is more probable.

Back when we were newlyweds, there was the song, 'Money for Nothin'. It was about how wonderful it would be to, 'play the guitar on the MTV'.  It included the line, 'Money for nothin' and your chicks for free'. 

Mr. Thipu, always the practical person, heard this line as, 'checks for free'.  Bless his heart.   

Irishkitty

• Ce la vie
    • Cards and Crafts by Carol
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2012, 09:06:04 AM »
Back when we were newlyweds, there was the song, 'Money for Nothin'. It was about how wonderful it would be to, 'play the guitar on the MTV'.  It included the line, 'Money for nothin' and your chicks for free'. 

Mr. Thipu, always the practical person, heard this line as, 'checks for free'.  Bless his heart.   

Too cute :D
I always heard it as "and your kicks for free"
Ireland
Check out my handmade cards -
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CardsnCraftsbyCarol