Author Topic: Mistaken Song Lyrics.  (Read 10600 times)

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
Re: Mistaken Song Lyrics.
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2012, 04:56:17 PM »
Back when we were newlyweds, there was the song, 'Money for Nothin'. It was about how wonderful it would be to, 'play the guitar on the MTV'.  It included the line, 'Money for nothin' and your chicks for free'. 

Mr. Thipu, always the practical person, heard this line as, 'checks for free'.  Bless his heart.   

Too cute :D
I always heard it as "and your kicks for free"

;D To my little brother (who was much littler at the time) it was chips for free ... 'cuz, y'know, who doesn't want free potato chips?
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Jape

« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2012, 05:59:31 PM »
My son this morning:
"So rise and shine and give God your glory glory,
Rise & shine and give God your glory glory
Rise and shine and give God your glory glory
Children of the corn"

:o

readingchick

• Trivia Buff
« Reply #32 on: February 29, 2012, 06:44:17 PM »
Back when we were newlyweds, there was the song, 'Money for Nothin'. It was about how wonderful it would be to, 'play the guitar on the MTV'.  It included the line, 'Money for nothin' and your chicks for free'. 

Mr. Thipu, always the practical person, heard this line as, 'checks for free'.  Bless his heart.   

Too cute :D
I always heard it as "and your kicks for free"

;D To my little brother (who was much littler at the time) it was chips for free ... 'cuz, y'know, who doesn't want free potato chips?

Hey, that makes a lot of sense. I love little kid logic.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2012, 01:01:44 PM »
I don't remember the artist, but the song that I hear as "Mice Aroma" I am informed by my children is "My Sharona".
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Cutenoob

« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2012, 05:53:01 PM »
Jimi Hendrix and Purple Haze song  I always heard "Kiss this guy" instead of Kiss the sky.

CCR and Bad Moon Rising - I always heard "Bathroom on the right" instead of "There's a Bad Moon on the rise"

And when those songs come up, I sing 'em my way!

Scuba_Dog

« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2012, 06:03:46 PM »
An old friend of mine thought the lyrics, "big old jet airliner, don't carry me too far away" was "big old Jed and Lionel don't carry me too far away."

She said she figured Jed and Lionel were Steve Miller's bodyguards.
"If you are going through hell, keep going."
Winston Churchill

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2012, 09:04:31 PM »
My first exposure to "Help Me, Rhonda" was Johnny Rivers' cover in the '70s. I thought he was singing "Everybody help everybody." I didn't find out the real words until a friend told me about a party for her classmate Rhonda where they sang that song to her.

If you can find Gavin Edwards' books, they're a hoot. One is "'Scuse Me While I Kiss This Guy," another is "He's Got the Whole World in His Pants," and there's at least one other. Many of the misheard lyrics are illustrated with very clever cartoons. He's got "Mice aroma" for "My Sharona" illustrated with a perfume bottle in the shape of a mouse and labeled "Infestation by Calvin Klein."
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2012, 09:41:56 AM »
Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds.

There were several people who thought, 'The girl with kaleidoscope eyes' was 'The girl with colitis goes by'.

When I was a child, a prominent local politician was named Tom McGowan.  He would, or course attend the school Christmas program.  Until I was about 8 I thought 'Oh, Tannenbaum' was 'Oh Tom McGowan'.

Shopaholic

« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2012, 09:51:07 AM »
Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds.

There were several people who thought, 'The girl with kaleidoscope eyes' was 'The girl with colitis goes by'.

Count me as one of them.
In the Bruno Mars song there's a line "is it the look in your eyes, or is it this dancing juice".
Which I though was either "dancing shoes" or "dancing Jew", and thought to myself - hey, did Woody Allen write this song? :D

Giraffe, Esq

« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2012, 10:28:17 AM »
Jimmy Eat World has a song called "The Middle." 

The chorus goes like this:
It just takes some time
Little girl, you're in the middle of the ride
Everything, everything will be just fine
Everything, everything will be all right, all right

But he says "everything" a bit weird and to my brain?  It was "elbow to elbow".  Never understood what it mean, but I sang it with gusto!  My SIL still laughs at me for that...

BabylonSister

• Shake it!
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2012, 10:56:46 AM »
When my kids were little we had a DVD of Psalty the singing songbook. One of the songs says "Follow the leader / Jesus Christ the King" but my daughter sang "Jesus, press the key".

Moonie

« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2012, 11:40:40 AM »
My grandson thought "Our song is a slammin' screen door" from Taylor Swift's "Our Song"  was....."Our song is as lame as creamed corn."  ;D

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2012, 11:58:21 AM »
Singer John Prine tells a story about a woman who requested the "Happy Enchilada Song." He kept telling her that he'd never written anything like that, but she insisted and finally quoted the lyrics to him. "It's a happy enchilada and you think you're gonna drown." The actual lyrics: "It's a half an inch of water and you think you're gonna drown."

John tells the story here: That's the Way That the World Goes 'Round, starting at about 2:30. He also mentions a Mondegreens of his own, involving some misheard Fats Domino lyrics. The video is of a performance at a high school auditorium, so there's no off-color language.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

JennJenn68

« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2012, 12:37:02 PM »
When I was a child, a prominent local politician was named Tom McGowan.  He would, or course attend the school Christmas program.  Until I was about 8 I thought 'Oh, Tannenbaum' was 'Oh Tom McGowan'.

That reminds me of something my husband told me.  As a child, he couldn't figure out why any Christmas song would be lauding an explosive device.

He heard (and sang it as) "O Time Bomb"...

Julia Mercer

• Country Gals Fan Page
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2012, 05:17:20 PM »
Then there is Kenny Rogers Lucille - You picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel, with 400 children and a crap in the field