Author Topic: Mistaken Song Lyrics.  (Read 9603 times)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Re: Mistaken Song Lyrics.
« Reply #60 on: March 07, 2012, 11:02:04 AM »
Excuse me, JonGirl.

The last thing I can imagine Hasidim doing is stealing sheep!

JonGirl

• I'm a JonGirl forever.
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBAa6CvY-TQ
« Reply #61 on: March 08, 2012, 05:07:06 AM »

Yeah, but the song Waltzing Matilda is about a guy who steals sheep then commits suicide at the thought of being arrested.
That's where I can see it, not likely to happen but I can see it.  ;D
Stewart/Colbert '16

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #62 on: March 08, 2012, 03:43:04 PM »
There's a current advertisement that involves very adventurous rock climbing.  I've been hearing the final, triumphant music as, 'Somebody ate the potatoes' and that just didn't make sense. 
Mr. Thipu gently informed me that the actual lyric is, 'Somebody left the gate open'.  That makes sense.

Wait... its not "Somebody ate the potatoes?"

Aww, that commercial won't be as funny anymore....

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #63 on: March 08, 2012, 03:46:41 PM »
I do recall a song that was sometimes sung in church during my larval stages.  It seemed to be about a denizen of the forest who had a cheerful name but an unfortunate visual problem.  To my mind, the song was, 'Gladly the Cross-Eyed Bear'.

I love that one. :D

We usually never sang that in church, but once Mr. Sirius and I went to a quarterly meeting and one of the hymns had this line in it:  "The consecrated cross I'd bear."  It reminded me of a story from one of the Anguished English books about a little girl singing about a "constipated cross-eyed bear" and her mother asking her Sunday School teacher, "What are you teaching the children?"  Mr. Sirius and I were trying not to giggle. 

A similar story: 

When my younger sister was about 5 or so, we were in an Easter Sunday service.  Little Sis couldn't read yet, but she was standing between me and Older Sis, singing at the top of her lungs: 

"He arose!  He arose!  Oh, my goodness, Christ arose!" 

Older Sis and I lost it, resulting in That Look from our mother.

I heard a religious song during a crhistmas program on PBS. Its from the Messiah program i think.

I swear they sing "We ALL like SHEEP!" (The actual lyric, I'm told, is "All we like sheep")

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #64 on: March 08, 2012, 04:56:59 PM »
I do recall a song that was sometimes sung in church during my larval stages.  It seemed to be about a denizen of the forest who had a cheerful name but an unfortunate visual problem.  To my mind, the song was, 'Gladly the Cross-Eyed Bear'.

I love that one. :D

We usually never sang that in church, but once Mr. Sirius and I went to a quarterly meeting and one of the hymns had this line in it:  "The consecrated cross I'd bear."  It reminded me of a story from one of the Anguished English books about a little girl singing about a "constipated cross-eyed bear" and her mother asking her Sunday School teacher, "What are you teaching the children?"  Mr. Sirius and I were trying not to giggle. 

A similar story: 

When my younger sister was about 5 or so, we were in an Easter Sunday service.  Little Sis couldn't read yet, but she was standing between me and Older Sis, singing at the top of her lungs: 

"He arose!  He arose!  Oh, my goodness, Christ arose!" 

Older Sis and I lost it, resulting in That Look from our mother.

I heard a religious song during a crhistmas program on PBS. Its from the Messiah program i think.

I swear they sing "We ALL like SHEEP!" (The actual lyric, I'm told, is "All we like sheep")

Actually it's "All we, like sheep, have gone astray . . ." but the way it's emphasized in the song, you just hear "WE LIKE SHEEP" and not much else  :P  Here's a link to a recording: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOaSa78_NM0

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #65 on: March 08, 2012, 11:11:43 PM »
All these years I have heard a song:

Burning love song oh burning love song can't go wrong

It came on my sirius on tv - turns out it's this:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLava2fGXPw

Cutenoob

« Reply #66 on: March 09, 2012, 05:11:00 AM »

It came on my sirius on tv - turns out it's this:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLava2fGXPw
Heheh, I always heard Purdy Little Love Song.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #67 on: March 09, 2012, 12:03:50 PM »
In the early days of my first full-time job I was friend's with a young woman who sang in her college choir.  She had a great sense of humor and what she called 'Choir Howlers'.

The 'We like sheep' was considered a classic.  The real line was 'We, like sheep...'

The opening of Carmina Burana became 'Oh for tuna, chunky tuna...'

A song from the pirates of Penzance became, 'A pair of socks, a pair of socks a very smelly pair of socks...'

heartlikehers

« Reply #68 on: March 09, 2012, 12:58:46 PM »
I used to think The Judds' - Love Can Build a Bridge was "Look at Bill Danebridge". I didn't know who Bill Danebridge was but I assumed he was someone who knew a lot about love. It's embarrassing to admit how old I was when I realized what the real lyrics were. Sometimes I catch myself still singing it like that.

Let me show you what love means
Look at Bill Danebridge
Between your heart and mine
Look at Bill Danebridge
Don't you think it's time?
Don't you think it's time?

Tsaiko

« Reply #69 on: March 09, 2012, 08:24:09 PM »
When I first heard it, I thought U2's "Electrical Storm" was "Electric Toaster." I knew that couldn't be right because there was no way Bono was singing that passionately about an appliance.

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #70 on: March 10, 2012, 02:17:33 AM »

Heheh, I always heard Purdy Little Love Song.

Now I don't feel so bad.

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #71 on: March 16, 2012, 03:19:42 PM »
There's a Lightning Seeds song called "Sugar Coated Iceberg" and I was sure until today that it contained the words "sugar coated iced potato". I googled the lyrics and strangely, that is not what is sung. The correct lyrics are actually "That sugar coated iceberg tastes so sweet..." I like my version better.  :D
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.

drebay

• drebay does not stand for Dr Ebay!
« Reply #72 on: March 16, 2012, 04:45:22 PM »
Jimi Hendrix and Purple Haze song  I always heard "Kiss this guy" instead of Kiss the sky.

So did Ozzy Osbourne.  He stated so in his defense of ones of this songs that someone else misheard, resulting is a lawsuit.  "enjoy life"  vs "end your life"

pwv

« Reply #73 on: March 18, 2012, 04:51:12 PM »
There is a song with the lyrics  "You're my Venus, you're my fire"  or something like that.  Anyway, instead of hearing the word "Venus" I hear the word that starts with "P" and rhymes with Venus.

JennJenn68

« Reply #74 on: March 18, 2012, 06:00:15 PM »
There is a song with the lyrics  "You're my Venus, you're my fire"  or something like that.  Anyway, instead of hearing the word "Venus" I hear the word that starts with "P" and rhymes with Venus.

(SNORT!)  Darn it, not again!  My drink is now all over the monitor.  I'll never be able to listen to Bananarama again! ;D