Etiquette School is in session! > "What an interesting assumption."

Used It In Class Today

(1/14) > >>

Mental Magpie:
I have IBS (which, for me, requires two-three medications) and gout (which, again for me, one medication).  Along with those four bottles*, I also had a small bottle of Ibuprofen in the front pocket of my backpack.  I opened up the front pocket to get out a pen when the guy behind me chimed in, "Wow, dealing drugs much?"

Me: What an interesting assumption.
Him: Well you've got all of those pills.
Me: Yes, because I need them.
Him: There's no way you need all of those.
Me: Also a very interesting assumption.

By then I had found my pen after fishing around for it and went about my business fully ignoring him.

Evil Magdalena (I think Evil Dark would be redundant) wanted to try to push Ibuprofen on him like it was the new thing to do.  "Man, you gotta try this Motrin!"

*The stomach ones go with me everywhere because I never know when I'm going to need them.  The gout medication goes with me to campus because that's where I eat and when (with food and the correct time) I have to take it at this point.

Fleur-de-Lis:
I think he made an awkward, rude, and uncalled-for statement, but I think the interesting assumption was yours in thinking he actually meant to imply you were dealing drugs (even the prescription kind).

His statement might have been better met with silence and an eye roll.

LB:

--- Quote from: Fleur-de-Lis on February 24, 2012, 10:07:21 AM ---I think he made an awkward, rude, and uncalled-for statement, but I think the interesting assumption was yours in thinking he actually meant to imply you were dealing drugs (even the prescription kind).

--- End quote ---

If it was a joke, it was a lame and insulting one. But if it was a joke, why did he follow it up with "There's no way you need all of those." ?

I think her response was fine. Silence and a private eye roll would have also been fine, I think.

BeagleMommy:
Magdalena, I think you handled that boor perfectly.

Mental Magpie:

--- Quote from: Fleur-de-Lis on February 24, 2012, 10:07:21 AM ---I think he made an awkward, rude, and uncalled-for statement, but I think the interesting assumption was yours in thinking he actually meant to imply you were dealing drugs (even the prescription kind).

--- End quote ---

His exact words were, "Wow, dealing drugs much?". I don't see where I made any assumption.

I definitely thinkin he was trying to be funny; he just wasn't.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version