General Etiquette > Etiquette of the Rich and Famous

Taylor Swift gets invited to prom by cancer-ridden boy.

(1/5) > >>

MariaE:
I'm not usually terribly fond of Taylor Swift, but this goes way beyond classy and into "Well done!" territory: http://music.yahoo.com/blogs/our-country/cancer-fighting-teen-invites-taylor-swift-prom-gets-214655227.html.  :)

Nora:
That went from a little creepy, to very nicely done!

Sabbyfrog2:
You know, we've talked about stuff like this before here and I am always torn. I think it's very sweet when a celeb takes the extra time to do these things, and clearly I think Swift is going above and beyond, but I find this trend of virtual celeb date requests unsettling.

When the soldier asked out Mila Kunis, and immediately following, another one asked out Justin Timerlake, it seemed to start a wave of these things. It's almost expected now that celebs will just drop everything that they are doing to go to some event with a fan. It's incredibly unfair of the person to put them on the spot like that, and, like Barefoot Contessa, heaven help the celeb if they say no.

I wonder how many people would have been playing the cancer card in addition and demanded boycott of her concerts, lambasted her publicly, and all around slandered her if she'd said no and not countered with the award show offer.

Winterlight:

--- Quote from: Sabbyfrog2 on February 27, 2012, 08:41:28 AM ---You know, we've talked about stuff like this before here and I am always torn. I think it's very sweet when a celeb takes the extra time to do these things, and clearly I think Swift is going above and beyond, but I find this trend of virtual celeb date requests unsettling.

When the soldier asked out Mila Kunis, and immediately following, another one asked out Justin Timerlake, it seemed to start a wave of these things. It's almost expected now that celebs will just drop everything that they are doing to go to some event with a fan. It's incredibly unfair of the person to put them on the spot like that, and, like Barefoot Contessa, heaven help the celeb if they say no.

I wonder how many people would have been playing the cancer card in addition and demanded boycott of her concerts, lambasted her publicly, and all around slandered her if she'd said no and not countered with the award show offer.

--- End quote ---

I agree. I don't think it's polite to put someone else on the spot like this. If someone started a Facebook campaign to try to get another student at the school to go with him to prom, I think we'd all consider that rude and pushy.

Judah:

--- Quote from: Winterlight on February 27, 2012, 09:51:15 AM ---
--- Quote from: Sabbyfrog2 on February 27, 2012, 08:41:28 AM ---You know, we've talked about stuff like this before here and I am always torn. I think it's very sweet when a celeb takes the extra time to do these things, and clearly I think Swift is going above and beyond, but I find this trend of virtual celeb date requests unsettling.

--- End quote ---

I agree. I don't think it's polite to put someone else on the spot like this. If someone started a Facebook campaign to try to get another student at the school to go with him to prom, I think we'd all consider that rude and pushy.

--- End quote ---

I agree. It's very rude to put someone on the spot like that; it basically leaves the celebrity with no good choices.  Either they accept the invitation, which they may not want, or they decline and have to deal with the PR fallout.  I do think that Taylor Swift handled it very well, but she shouldn't have had to handle it at all.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version