Author Topic: Hosting a party: Need menu suggestions!  (Read 903 times)

kevdarron

Hosting a party: Need menu suggestions!
« on: February 26, 2012, 03:09:13 PM »
Hi everyone!

I'm hosting a get-together for my birthday this Friday. I'll be 24 :). It's an evening party, with everyone spending a few hours at my apartment before heading out on the town. We will most likely be at my apartment between 8:30 to 11:30, with people showing up whenever they can. I want to provide snacks and finger foods for everyone to have while we celebrate! The number of guests coming is uncertain at the moment but I will make sure I have firm numbers by Wednesdays. It will likely be between 9 and 14 people.

Here is what I have decided on so far:

Homemade salsa with chips
Homemade mushroom dip with crackers (This is a MUST! My friends have dreams about this dip haha)
Pretzel bites, with either a butter dip or mustard dip
Peanut butter chocolate chip buttons (These are like crack, rolled in cinnamon sugar and super tiny)

But I don't know what else to add! Any suggestions? And how much of the aforementioned foods should I have for those kinds of numbers?

Also, I want to know what I should have on hand in terms of drink options. I will have some wine, red and white, but I've found everyone tends to bring their own alcoholic beverages within this circle. What non-alcoholic drinks should I provide?

Thanks!

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
Re: Hosting a party: Need menu suggestions!
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 04:16:50 PM »
I'd have some diet and non diet sodas and water available.  Are you guys meat eaters because I might to a crockpot of meatballs or cocktail sausages in sauce.

NyaChan

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 04:24:42 PM »
I would add a fruit plate or veggies in, just to have something fresh and non-creamy.  Sodas and water are good to have on hand for those who need a mixer, something non-alcoholic, or a way to sober up a bit.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 04:27:12 PM »
Pigs in the Blanket are always a good idea with plenty of mustard to dip into.  If you can get frozen spanakopita triangles (12 to the box) that's another great one and there's no work involved.

Hummus and pita chips.

Devilled eggs.

The list is endless.

SisJackson

• Wear Sunscreen!
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 04:59:45 PM »
First off, please post the recipes for the mushroom dip and the PB&CC buttons, thanks.  :)

As for things to add, I agree that something heavier on the protein is good - even if you don't eat meat you can do something like a hummus plate or a white bean crostini thing.  I note that your oven is woefully out of use, and it can be your best friend for apps.  Even if you just go to your frozen-foods section of your grocery Trader Joe's, or Costco, you can find bakeable bites that are not only easy to prepare but handy to have in the freezer for spontaneous guests.  I keep a box or two of things like mini-quiches, spanakopita triangles, or pastry bites in the freezer all the time, usually something vegetarian, just in case.

For something like this you can cycle through just two sheet pans of goodies for a group of that size - if you have a good friend coming who can help you in the kitchen while you greet your guests by making sure your trays come out and go in on time it would help you a lot too.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 06:41:14 PM »
Super easy, crowd pleaser and easy to use if left over: marinte some boneless skinless chicken in regular Italian salad dressing. Cook on a grill plate or "Foreman" type grill. Slice and serve right on the cutting board along with pita cut into wedges and humus on the side. Its low fat, quick & easy, real food in your belly before a night of drinking and left overs are grilled chicken - use in anything!

I'm always a big fan of the veggie plate myself. If you are on a budget, make it yourself - you'll pay the same amount for a pound of carrots, head of celery and pint of grape tomatos as you wil for the premade platter, but have plenty left over to eat for the rest of the week.

Oh and most important - lots of ice. Make ice today. Tomorrow dump it in a big bowl or large ziploc and make more. Repeat daily. You can never have too much ice at a party but running out is the pits!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 06:43:26 PM by WillyNilly »

MrsCrazyPete

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 09:45:52 PM »
I vote for deviled eggs, meatballs, anything with protein. It's good to have something a little heartier before you consume a bunch of alcohol.

For my BFF's 30th last weekend, I mixed together shredded baked chicken with peanut sauce, chopped green onion & some fresh cilantro. I put spoonfuls of this mixture into premade phyllo cup shells (near frozen desserts at my grocery store) and baked them for 10 minutes. I only got to eat ONE to taste-test them, the other 50 were consumed by my 25 guests in about 10 minutes! But really, almost anything can go in those little phyllo cups & it looks 10x fancier than putting it on a cracker. Love those things.
Sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here.

kevdarron

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 11:50:55 PM »
Of course I'll provide recipes! :D

Here are the peanut butter chocolate chip buttons: http://17andbaking.com/2009/05/19/tiny-peanut-butter-chocolate-chip-buttons/

Warning: These are a pain to make but soooo good

And the mushroom dip that is dream-worthy: http://tastykitchen.com/recipes/appetizers-and-snacks/easy-mushroom-pate/

So you guys think that diet and non- soda will be enough to provide for drinks? Obviously, water will be here as well!

I love all your suggestions for finger foods. WillyNilly, MrsCrazyPete, I am definitely going to try those recipes soon, they sound delicious! And I love the idea of using those phyllo cup shells, I wonder what else could fill them...

I think I'll add some veggies to my menu, as suggested. Maybe a plate of cut veggies with some hummus?

And a protein option seems wise as well. Maybe those frozen apps a couple of you mentioned! A couple boxes of those would be great and easy for me to add. Meatballs or shrimp things maybe?

I always worry about having enough food but then I worry about having too many leftovers!

MrsCrazyPete

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 09:30:38 PM »
I've used those little phyllo cups for that chicken recipe, bruschetta, chopped nuts mixed with honey, crab dip...pretty much anything that you would dip a cracker into you can put in there!
Sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here.