Author Topic: Billy Crystal and blackface  (Read 22607 times)

Giggity

• Super Hero!
Re: Billy Crystal and blackface
« Reply #75 on: March 06, 2012, 01:27:22 PM »
Hear hear, Sabbyfrog2.
Words mean things.

lollylegs

Re: Billy Crystal and blackface
« Reply #76 on: March 07, 2012, 02:11:53 AM »
That movie was stupid, but you are comparing apples and oranges. There is no historical connotation for African-American people painting themselves white to make fun of white people. None. There is no systematic racism of white people.

Besides that, yes it is quite easy to act as a 'rich white girl' I've seen men do it all the time. It's not hard.

This bothers me. Immensely. It's not only inaccurate but it's also hypocritical.
I've been thinking about it since I read it and only just now decided how to respond.

I'd say it would also be very easy for me to dress in a manner that represents what society perceives as a "gansta" and adjust my mannerisms and voice to act as such. But I don't. Because it's rude.
The African-American comedian doing his impression of a "rich white girl" stereotype is considered acceptable... Funny even (even if the movie was terrible). But a white man doing a genuine impersonation of a once living breathing entertainer who happens to be a Black man is considered racist?
How hypocritical...

You are only helping to perpetuate the double standard that racism, misogynistic attitudes, and stereotypes are okay, but only if it's done by African-American men, because of the double standard in place regarding entertainment.

Also,  there is racism against white people. Like I said, racism isn't and wasn't always exclusively white.
There was, at one point, an absolute systematic and societal prejudice against the Irish. No, we weren't used as slaves, but we also weren't allowed to do so. Slaves were actually considered more valuable than the Irish. African-American's weren't allowed to work on the railroads, not because they were African-American but because the work was considered too dangerous and they were considered far to valuable; Irishmen were considered "disposable". There were signs on establishments right next to the "No colors" that said "No Irish". Yet, the Irish jokes and stereotypes exist and are seemingly acceptable.
Let's also not forget the more recent systematic racism against Jews in Europe, who by all accounts were and still are considered "white". And, the stereotypes and jokes about Jews in Hollywood run rampant and no one kicks up a fuss.
Women were only allowed the right to vote in the 20's. Jokes about women are par for the course in comedy's.

Once again, you're cherry picking what should be considered offensive in Entertainment based on race and "feelings". It's incredibly unfair, ungracious, and frankly, it's quite hypocritical.

*slow clap*