Author Topic: Kid's Birthday Party Bag of cr*p  (Read 9797 times)

Coley

Re: Kid's Birthday Party Bag of cr*p
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2012, 02:20:21 PM »
I'm with you on the bag of cr@p. Favors are common, but they don't have to be bags of cr@p.

We have always given a party favor of some sort. For DS's 11th birthday party last month, the favor was a Harry Potter-themed cup containing a Harry Potter bookmark and leftover Halloween candy. I went with things that could be consumed and/or actually used. In past years, depending on the party theme, DS has given favors such as a Stormtrooper action figure or a basic light saber (both parties with very small guest lists), Hot Wheels cars, or a craft they made during the party. I wish I could remember the favor from last year's baseball party.

Moray

• My hovercraft is full of eels!
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2012, 02:21:43 PM »
When the parents came to get their children two asked about goodie bags

:o

What?!  They actually asked for goodie bags?!  Yikes!

I read that more as they asked if there were goodie bags so they didn't accidentally leave them behind if the kid had set theirs down.
Utah

doodlemor

« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2012, 02:32:29 PM »
As a former teacher I have to bring up the possibility of giving something educational/creative.  I see that books have already been mentioned.

There is a new "thrift" store in our area called *Savers.*  The books in there are considerably cheaper than new, and those I saw were in pristine condition.  Other thrift shops carry books, too.  If one started looking a few months before a birthday I bet that a number of inexpensive books could be found that looked new.

A small "trinket" or toy could be given with the book, too, something that went with the theme.  For example, some toy glasses if the main character wore glasses, or a large home made gingerbread man for the gingerbread man book. 

Little children often seem to like things from nature.  Isn't there a store at many malls that sells natural things?  Perhaps they sell some inexpensive things that children would like - or would be a place to look for ideas.

Here is a really weird idea that just came to me - probably wouldn't be for everyone or every group.

Perhaps each child could decorate some sort of a hand puppet when he/she came into the party.  During the party the children would put on some sort of a puppet *show,* which would be taped.  The kids would act very silly, probably, but maybe would enjoy themselves.  The children would have their puppets to take home, and at some point a disk of the puppet show to watch.  [I have never make a disk - perhaps this would be very difficult.]

Yeah, the puppet idea would take a very special group who liked that sort of thing.

I do believe that thinking *outside the box* as far as these cr*p bags go might help.  [Remember that episode of Friends, with the weird names?] 

It does seem to me that in many instances people are trying to out do each other in a very silly way.

mkkristen

« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2012, 04:05:37 PM »
I hate goodie bags. When they were little I did bags of candy and one little toy--like a bouncy ball. Then I moved away from that. One year DS had a bakugan party and I happened to be at Target and they clearanced all their bakugan toys. So every kid got a bakugan. One year DD had a sleepover and I bought tote bags and fabric paint for the girls to do that night. That was their thank you. Sometimes we have their parties at locations that give out gifts--we did a Whole Foods party and each kid got an apron and some coupons. We did those McDonalds coupon books that you buy for $2 or whatever one year. This year for DS I bought movie theater size boxes of candy at the store and gave those to the kids. They loved them. If at all possible, I give some candy that is eaten and thrown away so they don't get more junky toys the parents hate having around.

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2012, 04:21:50 PM »
I'm 43 and never even heard of this until recently. It doesn't make sense to me. A birthday party is for giving a gift to the birthday person, not for getting one yourself ... unless all invited are hobbits, I guess. If I had kids, I wouldn't do it, on grounds that well, it's not everyone else's birthday.
Words mean things.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2012, 04:39:16 PM »
You hadn't heard of party favors? They're an old, old concept.

That's all a goodie bag is.

magicdomino

« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2012, 04:45:13 PM »
I seem to recall little bags containing annoying puzzles, either mini-pinballs or those sliding puzzles.  Personally, I preferred the noisemakers that spit out and go "Blaaaattttt."  It wasn't a proper birthday party if you didn't "Blaaaaaatttt" in the other kids' faces.   ;)  This would have been in the 1960's.

Betelnut

« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2012, 04:45:33 PM »
Well, kids like bags of crap so I don't really see it as the end of civilization or anything.  My daughter stays quiet on the way home while rooting around in the bag, so that makes for a pleasant ride home.  By the next day, most of the stuff has been eaten, broken, used or tossed.  But we still have some stuff from a pirate themed party she went to last year and a little carry basket from a "spa"-themed party she attended.  That was actually pretty nice.

One year, I gave out nice balloons to the kids (that was popular).  This year we are having a pool party at the local high school swimming pool, so I have gotten "pool" and "beach" stuff.  We are inviting A LOT of kids (she's turning six so it is time for her one "big" party) so I went with cheap squirt guns, small inflatable beach balls, pencils with beach themes and, gosh, I can't remember everything.  (The box, from Oriental Trading Company, is stuck under my bed right now.)  I probably won't put in candy.  So maybe 4-5 things in each bag.

We've been to parties without the favors and that's okay too.  It is sort of fun to see what kind of things people decide to give.
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

Coley

« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2012, 05:11:36 PM »
I seem to recall little bags containing annoying puzzles, either mini-pinballs or those sliding puzzles.  Personally, I preferred the noisemakers that spit out and go "Blaaaattttt."  It wasn't a proper birthday party if you didn't "Blaaaaaatttt" in the other kids' faces.   ;)  This would have been in the 1960's.

Blaaaaatttt ... I liked those, too.  ;D

SciFiLeslie

• Hello Sweetie!
  • Rule #1: The Doctor lies
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2012, 09:13:45 PM »
Thanks to everyone who replied.  I am almost 43 and do not recall receiving much of anything after attending a birthday party.

My son's party will be at a local gymnastics studio.   So we will not have time to do a craft.   I do like the idea of the certificate for a book store, but we are already paying a premium for the party.  Still,  I have over two weeks to come up with a little something.

dietcokeofevil

« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2012, 09:46:26 PM »
What about a plastic re-usable water bottle?  They're cheap, it fits the sports theme, and it's something useful.  You could fill it with candy or a granola bar, or just leave it empty.

MsMarjorie

• The world was my oyster but I used the wrong fork
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2012, 10:35:49 PM »
For my daughters last birthday we gave out an oversized lollipop (you know the swirly coloured ones, they weren't huge about 10cms) with a little note attached to the stick saying "thank-you for coming to my party".  Easy to transport and pretty to look at, just nice and simple.

CakeEater

« Reply #42 on: February 29, 2012, 01:00:17 AM »
I'm doing a goodie bag with some sweets and possibly a themed cookie, depending on how much time I have that week.

The last party we attended had sweets, a little plastic dog and a bouncy ball. The baby loves the plastic dog - he just about needs it before he'll eat at the moment. And who doesn't love bouncy balls?

Oh Joy

« Reply #43 on: February 29, 2012, 07:47:54 AM »
For my daughters last birthday we gave out an oversized lollipop (you know the swirly coloured ones, they weren't huge about 10cms) with a little note attached to the stick saying "thank-you for coming to my party".  Easy to transport and pretty to look at, just nice and simple.

This appeals to me.  One simple thing, incorporating a thank-you to the guests for being a part of the day.  Nicely done!

SciFiLeslie

• Hello Sweetie!
  • Rule #1: The Doctor lies
« Reply #44 on: February 29, 2012, 09:21:03 AM »

I like this!  It is something practical and I can put a few simple treats in that will be consumed.  And I like the idea about a tag thanking attendees for being part of the celebration.