Author Topic: Kid's Birthday Party Bag of cr*p  (Read 9793 times)

Daquiri40

Re: Kid's Birthday Party Bag of cr*p
« Reply #45 on: February 29, 2012, 09:42:22 AM »
The goodie bags are for the children, not the parents of the children.  I'm imagining the party giving parent probably put some thought, time, and money into the goodie bag.  Accept it, let your kid have fun with it, and throw what they don't want away when you get home. 

Calling it a bag of cr*p seems rude to me.

Instantkarma

« Reply #46 on: February 29, 2012, 09:58:50 AM »
The goodie bags are for the children, not the parents of the children.  I'm imagining the party giving parent probably put some thought, time, and money into the goodie bag.  Accept it, let your kid have fun with it, and throw what they don't want away when you get home. 

Calling it a bag of cr*p seems rude to me.

the original poster is the party giving parent, shes not being rude to anyone else because she is the won who is putting together the bag of cr*p

jillybean

• Rise and whine
« Reply #47 on: February 29, 2012, 10:08:52 AM »
I have two kids, so I get my share of this stuff too.  I used to make them "disappear" after they'd been laying on the floor for a day or two.  In the last few years, one of the things I've started doing is collecting it and giving it to my sister.  She does sonograms at a local hospital and keeps a "treasure box" for the boys and girls that need procedures.  I do this with the unopened toys from happy meals too. 

I know when my kids were in the early elementary years, their teachers usually had a treasure box in the classroom to let each child pick a treat if they had been good all week or some such.  So once your kiddos have abandoned them and if they're in good shape (which they usually were because my kids would just get the candy and forget the rest), donating them to the teacher might be a way to repurpose them instead of trashing them.
Texas

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #48 on: February 29, 2012, 11:38:09 AM »
When I was a kid we didn't have 'goody bags'. We did have a Grab Bag.  That was part of the fun of my Birthday parties. 

Mom and I would go out to the local 5 & 10 to buy little gifts for our guests.  We'd wrap them up in scraps of gift wrap and put them all in a pillowcase.  The gifts were inexpensive but they were the sort of things that kids would actually like and use.  Small boxes of crayons, bags of marbles, sets of jacks, or boxes of pick-up-sticks were popular.  (I know.  Only the crayons would be considered appropriate for young children today).

Winners of games got first pick but every child at the party went home with a piece of cake and at least two or three gifts from the Grab Bag.  Sometimes, the child most inept at games got the best prizes. 

jmarvellous

« Reply #49 on: February 29, 2012, 12:02:18 PM »
I have two kids, so I get my share of this stuff too.  I used to make them "disappear" after they'd been laying on the floor for a day or two.  In the last few years, one of the things I've started doing is collecting it and giving it to my sister.  She does sonograms at a local hospital and keeps a "treasure box" for the boys and girls that need procedures.  I do this with the unopened toys from happy meals too. 

I know when my kids were in the early elementary years, their teachers usually had a treasure box in the classroom to let each child pick a treat if they had been good all week or some such.  So once your kiddos have abandoned them and if they're in good shape (which they usually were because my kids would just get the candy and forget the rest), donating them to the teacher might be a way to repurpose them instead of trashing them.

This is a great idea. My mom is a teacher with a treasure box that she mostly stocks from garage sale McDonald's toys she can get 10/$1, but she loves donated stuff, too.

I'm 26 and recall party favors (usually very small) at any party I went to before about age 10, and some after that even.

My best party was probably my 7th, when my mom got ribbons and fake flowers and sequins and really cheap, big floppy straw hats, and each girl got to decorate her own straw hat to take home. We also gave each kid a "feather boa" (just a length of that feathery stuff you can buy at the craft store, and decorated our own cupcakes.

One year, my brother and I had a joint party in our backyard with an Aladdin theme. We did a "sandbox treasure hunt" where my mom hid tons of coins -- mostly pennies, some larger but only a couple of quarters -- in our sandbox and all the kids dug for buried treasure. Cost about $5, and every kid got to go home with MONEY. :D

Other good treats: Bro's "James Bond" party where every kid got a squirt gun; my "make a bracelet" party; the luau with cheap leis and "grass skirts" (we taped crepe paper on yarn) for everyone.

Some years we did candy and trinkets, but most years the take-home tied to the theme.

Jones

« Reply #50 on: February 29, 2012, 12:59:16 PM »
NOT to hijack, but now I am starting to worry about the favors for my son's upcoming first birthday...with my daughter, as previously mentioned, we always did crafts. Her toddler birthdays were mostly adults(family). Kids at this bday are going to be toddler sized though; my sisters all had recent babies along with me. Don't need paint and beads for them.
How does this sound:
1 rubber duck
1 bean bag
1 lollipop
Bubbles
Stickers

Too much or just enough? I tried to pick things I don't mind my kids having.

jmarvellous

« Reply #51 on: February 29, 2012, 01:01:34 PM »
NOT to hijack, but now I am starting to worry about the favors for my son's upcoming first birthday...with my daughter, as previously mentioned, we always did crafts. Her toddler birthdays were mostly adults(family). Kids at this bday are going to be toddler sized though; my sisters all had recent babies along with me. Don't need paint and beads for them.
How does this sound:
1 rubber duck
1 bean bag
1 lollipop
Bubbles
Stickers

I think this is perfect. But you could get away with one less thing if you wanted.

Betelnut

« Reply #52 on: February 29, 2012, 01:02:36 PM »
How does this sound:
1 rubber duck
1 bean bag
1 lollipop
Bubbles
Stickers

Personally, I'd leave out the lollipop but that's just me.  I think 3-5 things is plenty.
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #53 on: February 29, 2012, 01:20:12 PM »
Thanks to everyone who replied.  I am almost 43 and do not recall receiving much of anything after attending a birthday party.

My son's party will be at a local gymnastics studio.   So we will not have time to do a craft.   I do like the idea of the certificate for a book store, but we are already paying a premium for the party.  Still,  I have over two weeks to come up with a little something.

I wouldn't do a goody bag. The idea of a party favor, esp. for a birthday party, is a sort of "return gift" for the present. But in your case, the gymnastics activity is a pretty big "return gift."

Bethczar

« Reply #54 on: February 29, 2012, 01:39:01 PM »
Thanks to everyone who replied.  I am almost 43 and do not recall receiving much of anything after attending a birthday party.

My son's party will be at a local gymnastics studio.   So we will not have time to do a craft.   I do like the idea of the certificate for a book store, but we are already paying a premium for the party.  Still,  I have over two weeks to come up with a little something.

I wouldn't do a goody bag. The idea of a party favor, esp. for a birthday party, is a sort of "return gift" for the present. But in your case, the gymnastics activity is a pretty big "return gift."
I would agree.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #55 on: March 03, 2012, 12:19:35 PM »
I'm 37 and for the most part I don't remember getting them and I know the few times we had parties we didn't give them.  I get the "good stuff"/educational argument but how about educating the kids by introducing them to the concept that the company of others is reason enough to attend a party, that you don't need anythong other than good memories to take home with you? 

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #56 on: March 03, 2012, 01:40:01 PM »
What about a plastic re-usable water bottle?  They're cheap, it fits the sports theme, and it's something useful.  You could fill it with candy or a granola bar, or just leave it empty.

I think this is a great idea for your party. You could even fill them with water, keep them on ice and instead of all the kids lining up for the drinking fountain after their workout, hand them a chilled water bottle that they get to keep. Maybe decorate them somehow (permanent marker?) with the guest's name on them so that they don't get mixed up.

I've also done what Thipu1 suggested -- a grab bag as the prizes for game winners. I'd have the brown paper lunch bags decorated with the guests names so that they had a place to put their "winnings."

zainabzks

« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2012, 01:20:48 PM »
I gave books to all the guests for my daughter's sixth birthday this year.

My son's friends each got a magic trick to take home (they were very well received). The little kids got Uno Tippo which I got on sale for 4-5 dollars.

magician5

« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2012, 10:00:48 PM »
Is there a simple alternative I can do for my son's upcoming 7th birthday?

A very easy alternative: don't do it.

You might see this from my (former) birthday-magician website:

http://www.goodmagic.com/magician/goodie.htm
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2012, 10:59:29 AM »
Magician, this is brilliant!

you AND your child will have the only thing anyone can ever really keep: a cherished memory of sharing a happy day as your child passes a milestone!