Author Topic: Does this sound delicious or just weird? UPDATE PG 2!!  (Read 4541 times)

MrsCrazyPete

Does this sound delicious or just weird? UPDATE PG 2!!
« on: February 29, 2012, 05:53:26 PM »
DH & I are having a party in a couple weeks, and we decided that for a sweet snacky thing, we'd make chocolate covered marshmallows. In addition to covering them in chocolate, they will also have things like sprinkles, nuts, or something stuck into the chocolate.

Would you find it delicious or weird if some of these marshmallows had bacon bits on them? I've had chocolate covered bacon & loved it, but I didn't know if the chocolate & marshmallow together would be too sweet for the salty bacon.

To clarify, I would be using real bacon crumbles, not those weird crunchy things that come in cans.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 11:06:59 AM by MrsCrazyPete »
Sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here.

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
Re: Does this sound delicious or just weird?
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 06:08:33 PM »
Bacon seems to be having a surge in popularity for use in sweets lately, so I think you would be fine with doing that. I have a BIL that owns an ice cream parlor and he makes maple syrup bacon ice cream. (He also makes beer ice cream. Weird.)

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

Moray

• My hovercraft is full of eels!
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 06:10:55 PM »
I vote delicious.

If you're veering down the savory path, you might want to put out a little sea salt, too. A little goes a long way, but it's sooooo good with chocolate and marshmallows.
Utah

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 06:47:52 PM »

I can eat about one marshmallow before i get sick of them, but i would definitely make it the bacon one. SamiHami is right, bacon is the in thing right about now, so they would be trendy as well as tasty (and a little bit weird, but what's so bad about that? :))

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 07:13:17 PM »
I think bacon in ice cream, milk shake, chocolate, etc. doesn't sound to my taste, but I can actually see myself trying a marshmallow.  No idea why that doesn't sound as gross (to me) as the other stuff.

Jloreli

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 07:27:13 PM »
Sounds great to me! Especially if the bacon is cooked extra super crispy almost burnt before crumbling.

Graham cracker crumbs might also be yummy...

QueenofAllThings

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 07:30:25 PM »
Disclaimer: I haven't eaten meat in 4 years.

That being said, I do love bacon. Bacon & chocolate seems to be an awesome combo to me (add peanuts, and I have died and gone to heaven). Bacon & marshmallow - not too sure, but if the marshmallow isn't HUGE and the bacon is very crispy, sign me up.

The party is when and where?  ;)

Fleur-de-Lis

• Dum Vivimus, Vivamus!
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 07:43:05 PM »
To me, it sounds weird and unduly trendy, but if you like it go for it.
   Finally we shall place the Sun himself at the center of the Universe.

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 07:50:20 PM »
To me, it sounds weird and unduly trendy, but if you like it go for it.

Pod.  And for me, it doesn't just sound weird, it sounds a bit disgusting.  But I wouldn't fault others if they wanted to eat some.

Silversurfer

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 07:51:28 PM »
That sounds delicious! I would offer bacon and non bacon options!

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 08:02:56 PM »
I would be horrified and think the cooks had gone crazy!  But at the same time, I'd be interested in a little taste to see what it was like.  ;D  Maybe in your first batch test out a couple and see how it tastes? You can always abort the plan if the flavours aren't working and save the rest of the bacon for something else. 

I looooove the chocolate covered marshmellows idea (with sprinkles, nuts etc), just the bacon has me a little  :o  I love bacon too, but it just seems like a bit much in that combination.
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 08:17:25 PM »

I'd make some with bacon but offer most without. That way people who like it can try it, but those who don't can skip it.

I looove bacon, and I think bacon and chocolate could work well, if done carefully (I'd go for very dark good quality chocolate with high quality bacon). However, I suspect that if it weren't done just right, it could be pretty nasty.  Bacon plus chocolate plus marshmallow sounds a bit over the top, and like it could easily slip over to nasty.

whatsanenigma

« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2012, 08:25:06 PM »
I admit, my first reaction is that it sounds really weird...but then I think about it and realize I happen to like weird things, and if I were one of your guests, I would definitely want to try it! Just because I've never thought to do such a thing doesn't mean I wouldn't want to try it...and the more I think about it, the more I think I'm actually going to try to make something like that myself.  Chocolate/other sweet stuff with bacon.  That went in my mind from "no way" to "developing a craving" in about two minutes.  Maybe some of your guests would have the same reaction.

I assume that you're planning on using "standard" size marshmallows, and I wonder if, especially for these, you might try cutting the marshmallows in half, or maybe even using the smaller ones, though that seems really awkward.  I'm just thinking that people mght want to try them but might want a smaller bite for the first try, and you'd have less potential waste.

crella

« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2012, 08:31:46 PM »
It should be good if the bacon is really crispy and the oil is well drained. Excess oil left on the bacon in combination with the marshmallow texture could be odd. If it's really crispy, I bet it would be really good.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2012, 08:45:45 PM »
I wouldn't offer it as the only option, but since you are doing a selection, go for it! Even if not a lot of people like it, there are plenty of alternatives for the others.